Menu

Miquon Math - Independent?

RachaelL

Hi everyone,

I've just ordered the Miquon Math books for my 1st and 2nd grader.  I'm trying to set up my schedule, and I'm wondering how independent the program is.  If my two kids are in two different sections in the books, can I have both of them working at the same time?  Or do they need my full attention during math?

Thanks!

I wouldn't call Miquon independent. When ds was doing Miquon, we often started together with a lesson with the rods or just from the teaching suggestions in the Annotations, and then I assigned a page and then he picked a page. A lot of the teaching was in the interaction between us and in me responding to what he was learning about. Generally he would work "independently" but he usually needed me to be near. That did start to change as he wrapped up the program in third grade, but I think it wouldn't have mattered much which math he did - he just needed me there to keep him moving and doing.

Hi everyone,

I've just ordered the Miquon Math books for my 1st and 2nd grader.  I'm trying to set up my schedule, and I'm wondering how independent the program is.  If my two kids are in two different sections in the books, can I have both of them working at the same time?  Or do they need my full attention during math?

Thanks!

Well, you are supposed to teach first; that is, you're supposed to help them discover concepts. :-) The worksheets are only practicing what they have learned.

You'll need to teach the concepts, but it shouldn't be a really big deal to have the kids in two different places. OTOH, the books have topical "threads," so if you want to catch one kid up to the other and work thread by thread instead of book by book, you might be able to keep them together for at least some of the lessons (depending how far apart they are).

Once the kids know what they are supposed to do, I think the lab sheets are designed to let the child practice independently, so you could maybe start one first, get that one doing the independent work, and have the next one join you while the first is working on their lab sheet. 

I usually "teach" by doing a few examples with my child, playing with the concepts a little as needed, then ask her to work from there. But the pages definitely vary in difficulty, and extra tricky problems/new, more advanced concepts are sprinkled in frequently (which I love). So I either need to be close by just in case, or to have looked at the page closely ahead of time, or both!