Menu

Book a Week in 2014 - BW36

Robin M

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All this talk of Halloween reading made me pick up "Oscar Wilde and the Vampire Murders" by Gyles Brandreth. It's apparently the 4th book in an Oscar Willde-based mystery series that Brandreth has written. I picked it up off the shelves because it had Oscar Wilde AND vampires, lol. So far, so good. Not high literature or anything, but it's fun & I'm enjoying it. And it doesn't seem to be a problem that it's the 4th one & that I haven't read any of the others.

http://www.nyjournalofbooks.com/book-review/oscar-wilde-and-vampire-murders

"Oscar Wilde and the Vampire Murders opens in 1890, at a glamorous party hosted by the Duke and Duchess of Albemarle. All of London’s high society—including the Prince of Wales—are in attendance at what promises to be the event of the season. Yet Oscar Wilde is more interested in another party guest, Rex LaSalle, a young actor who claims to be a vampire.

But the entertaining evening ends in tragedy when the duchess is found murdered—with two tiny puncture marks on her throat. Desperate to avoid scandal and panic, the Prince asks Oscar and his friend Arthur Conan Doyle to investigate the crime. What they discover threatens to destroy the very heart of the royal family. Told through diary entries, newspaper clippings, telegrams, and letters, Oscar Wilde and the Vampire Murders is a richly atmospheric mystery that is sure to captivate and entertain."

Finally made it to the library and am reading "Band of Brothers" and the third Bridget Jones.

I didn't realize Band of Brothers was a book, but I should have.  I watched the documentary this past spring, and enjoyed (don't know what else to use...appreciated, maybe... regarding war...) it.  Off to put the book on hold...  Thanks!

I almost forgot and don't know how since I have it on my shelves - Dean Koontz Frankenstein series.

We already did a Dracula and Frankenstein readalong.  We'll have to come up with one for October, since everybody is already thinking about it.

Ideas?

Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde

Phantom of the Opera

The Haunting of Hill House  - Shirley Jackson

Something Wicked This Way Comes - Ray Bradbury

I finished A Guide for the Perplexed. Now my head hurts, both literally and figuratively.

What did you think of it?  I read it last winter and enjoyed the (historically based)Solomon Schecter / Cairo Genizah narrative very much... the other story made me uncomfortable at a number of levels... but now one of my IRL book groups has selected it so I'll be returning to it in a couple of months.

I almost forgot and don't know how since I have it on my shelves - Dean Koontz Frankenstein series.

We already did a Dracula and Frankenstein readalong.  We'll have to come up with one for October, since everybody is already thinking about it.

Ideas?

Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde

Phantom of the Opera

The Haunting of Hill House  - Shirley Jackson

I'm not so into scary -- I am sufficiently alarmed by real life that I don't go out looking for more, lol -- but I do like Stacia's recommendation of Poe stories.  It's been a while.

We already did a Dracula and Frankenstein readalong. We'll have to come up with one for October, since everybody is already thinking about it.

Ideas?

Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde

Phantom of the Opera

The Haunting of Hill House - Shirley Jackson

There are some very macabre fairy tales out there that would fit the bill nicely.

What did you think of it? I read it last winter and enjoyed the (historically based)Solomon Schecter / Cairo Genizah narrative very much... the other story made me uncomfortable at a number of levels...

That's pretty much my assessment too. I couldn't put it down; but at the same time, the modern story was dismaying. It did make me pause and wonder about the future of technology and how it might change us.

We already did a Dracula and Frankenstein readalong. We'll have to come up with one for October, since everybody is already thinking about it.

Ideas?

Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde

Phantom of the Opera

The Haunting of Hill House - Shirley Jackson

Robin, Rather a coincidence that you should mention Dean Koontz Frankenstein series. I ran into it yesterday and put the first on hold. It looks good. I used to love Dean Koontz many years ago until one of his books scared me greatly. I didn't read the next. ;( I think I am probably ready to read him again after 20 plus years! :lol:

I never got to Jekyll and Hyde last year. I keep seeing a spin off called Hyde http://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/books/daniel-levines-hyde-reanimates-robert-louis-stevensons-infamous-bipolar-doctor/2014/04/06/24fb7fd6-b99f-11e3-899e-bb708e3539dd_story.html would like to read them both back to back.

My plans for spooky are becoming rather impossible so am willing to do any read alongs. Pretty sure rereading the Kim Harrison series, the Anita Blakes, and Anne Rice's Vampires can't be done in a month.

Robin, Rather a coincidence that you should mention Dean Koontz Frankenstein series. I ran into it yesterday and put the first on hold. It looks good. I used to love Dean Koontz many years ago until one of his books scared me greatly. I didn't read the next. ;( I think I am probably ready to read him again after 20 plus years! :lol:

This is exactly what happened to me.

Shukriyya, I have been meaning to tell you that I am doing a very slow reread of Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil. It really is a lovely descriptive visit to Savannah. I feel like I am there. I do think you would enjoy it.

Thanks, Mumto2, I'll check it out. The poetic title has always intrigued me. As an aside whenever I see it, I'm transported back several decades to my childhood library and the book, 'Tom's Midnight Garden', which I loved. Ds and I recently listened to this as an audio book during a series of commutes and we thoroughly enjoyed it. Fun to revisit it and hear it through adult ears with my 12 year old self along for the ride :D

Thanks, Mumto2, I'll check it out. The poetic title has always intrigued me. As an aside whenever I see it, I'm transported back several decades to my childhood library and the book, 'Tom's Midnight Garden', which I loved. Ds and I recently listened to this as an audio book during a series of commutes and we thoroughly enjoyed it. Fun to revisit it and hear it through adult ears with my 12 year old self along for the ride :D

Tom's Midnight Garden is a lovely story. The title always reminds me of the other. In Midnight in the Garden....there is a murder coming in case that matters to your interest level, I have just been reading so slowly that I only get through a character description or two a day. At the beginning of the book the author simply tells stories of all the locals the main character meets. Love it.

My husband thought that some of you might be interested in the book he just finished, The Name of the Wind.  It is the first in The Kingkiller Chronicle series by Patrick Rothfuss, a fantasy chunkster that won several awards and would probably captivate the Tolkien fans. Jenn mentioned the author in an earlier thread.

Yes!!  This is one of my favorites.  I read it when it came out and probably at least 7 times since then. The second book is out, The Wise Man's Fear, and we are not so patiently waiting for book 3.  I read it three times last year-once audiobook, once to myself, and once aloud to the older kids.  It's great for anyone who likes fantasy, high fantasy, stories within stories, and beautiful prose. This is one I always recommend.  Beware there is some language and sexual stuff-mostly in the second book-if you recommend it to kids.  There is a great discussion group on the books on Goodreads and a private forum that isn't very active.  I'm in two FB groups for them, too.

Looks like I'm rejoining. :)  My whole summer was a giant mess, so I wasn't on here much. Right now I'm re-reading The Two Towers and I got sick of Smeagol (again), so I picked up The Forest of Hands and Teeth last night.  Not a good one to read before bed!  I got  just a mite terrified by the dark!

I didn't do a great job keeping track of my books.  The ones I can remember:

1. Fool Moon by Jim Butcher
  2. Grave Peril by Jim Butcher
  3. Death Masks by Jim Butcher
  4. Blood Rites by Jim Butcher
  5. Hyperbole and a Half by Allie Brosh
  6. Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss
  7. French Kids Eat Everything by Karen le Billon
  8. Dead Beat  by Jim Butcher
  9. Proven Guilty by Jim Butcher
  10. Teaching Children Compassionately by Marshall Rosenberg
  11. Stardust (re-read) by Neil Gaiman
  12. The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman
  13. Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman
  14. A History of US: The New Nation
  15. A History of US: War, Terrible War
  16. A History of US: Liberty for All?
  17. Elantris by Brandon Sanderson
  18. Across Five Aprils
  19. Fifty Shades of Grey
  20. The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson
  21. The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch
  22. Crown Conspiracy by Michael J. Sullivan
  23. Words of Radiance by Brandon Sanderson
  24. Equal Rites by Terry Pratchett
  25. Avempartha  by Michael J. Sullivan
  26. Nyphron Rising by Michael J. Sullivan
  27. Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children
  28. Coraline by Neil Gaiman
  29. Emerald Storm by Michael J. Sullivan
  30. The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
  31. The Fellowship of the Ring (re-read)
  32. Timebound by Rysa Walker
  33. Time's Echo by Rysa Walker

Currently reading or shelved to finish:

The Forest of Hands and Teeth

The Two Towers (re-read)

Red Seas Under Red Skies by Scott Lynch

American Gods (re-read)

The Eyes of the Dragon by Stephen King

Warbreaker by Brandon Sanderson

Yes!!  This is one of my favorites.  I read it when it came out and probably at least 7 times since then. The second book is out, The Wise Man's Fear, and we are not so patiently waiting for book 3.  I read it three times last year-once audiobook, once to myself, and once aloud to the older kids.  It's great for anyone who likes fantasy, high fantasy, stories within stories, and beautiful prose. This is one I always recommend.  Beware there is some language and sexual stuff-mostly in the second book-if you recommend it to kids.  There is a great discussion group on the books on Goodreads and a private forum that isn't very active.  I'm in two FB groups for them, too.

Looks like I'm rejoining. :)  My whole summer was a giant mess, so I wasn't on here much. Right now I'm re-reading The Two Towers and I got sick of Smeagol (again), so I picked up The Forest of Hands and Teeth last night.  Not a good one to read before bed!  I got  just a mite terrified by the dark!

Welcome back to our book party!

Jane

As for scary books, I always read scary books in October in honor of my favorite holiday. :)

Some of my favorites for adults:

The Historian-one I never could finish because I had nightmares.  I'm not even sure why as it isn't classic horror

It by Stephen King

World War Z-not conventionally scary but definitely makes you consider stockpiling.  Same with:

The Road

Night by Elie Wiesel-sometimes the scariest books are the non-fiction

For kids I have these on my list (I have NOT read them all!!)

Younger-ish kids.  Pre-read for sure:

Among the Dolls
The Graveyard Book
Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children-creepy and great for middle schoolers.  Some language that made me cringe
The Ghost by the Sea
Skary Childrin and the Carousel of Sorrow
The Stone Child
Coraline-Gaiman is always delightfully creepy.  A great one for younger kids who want a "scary" book
In a Dark, Dark Room
The Vengeance of the Witch Finder
The Figure in the Shadows
The House With a Clock in Its Walls-just creepy enough for 4-6th graders, IMHO.  There are more in this series. 

Older kids:
A Monster Calls
Rot and Ruin
The Haunting of Alaizabel Cray
Anna Dressed in Blood
The Last Apprentice: Revenge of the Witch
Everlost
The Name of the Star
Doll Bones
The Waking: Dreams of the Dead
The Way We Fall
The Devil’s Footsteps
The Forest of Hands and Teeth-reading now-definitely really creepy!!
White Crow
13 Clocks
Eyes of the Dragon-some language and sex stuff that caught me off guard and slightly traumatized me listening to it with the kids :D
The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon
The Talisman-probably best for high schoolers