Menu

Last Minute Advice for a newbie 9th grade

Okay so in a few days we will be starting 9th grade!  Last time we homeschooled was 5th grade

I have posted in other threads what we are doing for curriculum but again here is a quick run down.

Saxon Algebra 1                 (1 unit)

Power Basics Biology         (1 unit)

-with labpaq labs & extra bio texts for supplementing

English 1                             (1 unit)

-EIL Intro to Lit

-wordly wise 9

-easy grammar 9

Global History & Geography I the growth of civilization  ( 1 unit)

Artistic Pursuits High school  ( 1 unit)

- This will be drawing &  some art history various resources

PE                                  ( 1/2 Unit)           

exercise, biking, archery & tennis lessons

Okay so DD already has French I credit & also an elective credit for Rise of Nationalism.

She does NOT want to continue French.  Do you feel this is enough credits ?? or should we do a Home Ec class that would include nutrition/fitness lessons and we would do cooking/sewing etc..  for another  Credit?   I just don't want to overwhelm her with too much her first year home.

She is going to do her 1/2 credit of health next year in 10th grade.

Also any advice  or tips on grading, scheduling etc.. to keep things simple and rolling for us as this is all new would be greatly appreciated.

I have reviewed the grading forums etc.. but it still seems a bit overwhelming to me.  

I know we need approx. 3hrs a week for each full unit but would love to hear how you all break down your weeks. & your grading systems

Thanks in advance for your input!

It looks like you have four academic classes-- math, science, lang arts and history. I view the art/gym as electives. I think the typical course load is 5-6 academic classes.

The question is what are her goals college-wise? If she is college-bound, then what are the language requirements of the schools in which she is interested? Selective schools will want to see 3-4 years of a foreign language--the same language. If she doesn't want to do French, is it possible to move to another language this year? Or change the French curriculum, if that is why she doesn't want to continue? I suppose you could take a break from French and come back to it, but that seems risky to me-- too much time to forget what she learned.

Maria

Yes, I agree with Maria and would add one more academic class.  You may want to consider folding it in at some point later in the year. Since you are both coming back to homeschooling and establishing a new routine, you could start with this schedule, perhaps with an understanding one more class will be added.  Use the summer if necessary to finish a course started in November.  

What do other highschoolers in your area do? I agree with Maria to determine what the post-high school plans are to see if she should add another academic credit.  Just an fyi in our research: it's pretty standard for colleges/universities to want at least 2 years of foreign language from applicants and for graduation. She can fulfill it later by dual enrolling and taking 2 semesters (which equals 2 high school years). But one foreign language credit may leave her short at college admissions time. 

Lisa

Thank you both for your input! 

From what I hear from my niece most students in her school only take one year of language  which is the requirement for graduation. Right now DD does not want anything to do with going to college. But I really hope she changes her mind!  So maybe we will add another class and she may change her mind by next year for the language, I hate to force her to French II because then it will just be a nightmare as that wouldn't be something I could really help her with anyway.

So if we do an elective Home Economics / Nutrition/ Fitness class is that sufficient for a full unit ??  Trying to decide what to do , she really likes cooking. Any suggestions? Thank you !

So if we do an elective Home Economics / Nutrition/ Fitness class is that sufficient for a full unit ??  Trying to decide what to do , she really likes cooking. Any suggestions? Thank you !

Just in case she ends up college bound at some point, why don't you focus on Nutrition, that way it is a solid academic credit. You can include some cooking in your nutrition course, after all, what good does it do to know about nutrition if you can't actually create a healthy meal :). Consider a nutrition textbook or maybe base it on this teaching company course. I'd leave the fitness out of it, because then it sounds like PE and I wouldn't call it home ec, because that is definitely going to get frowned upon a soft elective. Cooking and Nutrition would look good if she ends up going to culinary school :).

Just in case she ends up college bound at some point, why don't you focus on Nutrition, that way it is a solid academic credit. You can include some cooking in your nutrition course, after all, what good does it do to know about nutrition if you can't actually create a healthy meal :). Consider a nutrition textbook or maybe base it on this teaching company course. I'd leave the fitness out of it, because then it sounds like PE and I wouldn't call it home ec, because that is definitely going to get frowned upon a soft elective. Cooking and Nutrition would look good if she ends up going to culinary school :).

Great Idea! That is exactly what we will do!

I was thinking the same thing about the fitness part. The workbook I had purchased is called Nutrition and fitness 50 lessons. However its mostly nutrition from what I can see, So maybe I will use that in combo with your suggestion and just pull the nutrition parts. I can always use any fitness sheets for PE

Appreciate your feedback!

Thank you!! :)