Menu

Why am I spotting?

Aspasia

Sorry if this is TMI.

Here is my menstrual history in brief: :)

I nursed dd7 for 22 months, didn't start my period until 19 months.

Nursed ds4 for 14 months, didn't start my period until after that.

Nursed dd2 for 14 months, got pregnant on my first cycle after that.

Basically, I feel pretty confident in breastfeeding as birth control FOR ME, for the first six months. I follow all the lactational amenorrhea rules: baby is exclusively breastfed, I'm nursing more frequently than the 4-hour rule (it's more like every 2-3 hours, even at night--I have the bags under my eyes to prove it).

So that's why I'm kinda confused that I'm spotting when this baby is not quite four months old. What causes spotting other than pregnancy or menstruation?

Has she been sleeping through the night lately? Eating solids, using a pacifier, sucking her thumb, etc? I'm willing to bet it's your cycle just starting early, but I'd test just in case. I didn't get my period for 14 months while I nursed my first. After my second, I was looking forward to another good, long, period-free stretch. Imagine my surprise when it showed up at four months post-partum :(

I didn't get my cycle back for a long time with #s 1 and 2. #3, it was spotting at 14 mos and turned out to be #4. Now I'm nursing #s 3 and 4 and spotting started back at 2 freaking months. I don't think I've gotten more than a 3 hour chunk of sleep either...

At any rate, it could be your cycle.

Has she been sleeping through the night lately? Eating solids, using a pacifier, sucking her thumb, etc? I'm willing to bed it's your cycle just starting early, but if test just in case. I didn't get my period for 14 months while I nursed my first. After my secobd, I was looking forward to another good, long, period-free stretch. Imagine my surprise when it showed up at four months post-partum :-/

I WISH she were sleeping thought the night. Not even close. No solids, no pacifier, no thumb. That would be a mean trick by Mother Nature, to get me all comfy with amenorrhea while breastfeeding, and then throw me a curve ball. Here's hoping that it's just ovulation, because I really, really don't want to be pregnant. (I actually called the OB the other day to order my IUD. I didn't feel any urgency to do that, but suddenly I do.)

I nursed exclusively and got my period back around 3 or 4 months.

Do you weigh more now? (You don't have to answer :laugh: ). Fat makes estrogen. Estrogen makes periods.

I think. THat's what I remember, anyway.

Actually fat stores estrogen and fat loss releases it. But I doubt that's it, unless you are dropping a ton of weight fast.

I spotted at three months with my last, then nothing until my regularly scheduled return date. I have read quite a few similar accounts by other ladies in their mid thirties. Also spotting around ovulation seems to be pretty common at this age. If you are in this bracket, I'd expect it's just shifting hormones.