Menu

Well, it looks like I have to boycott our state HS convention

Moxie

I've gone to the IAHE convention in the past.  It is has just been ok but there was some decent stuff and it was a fun girl's weekend.

I just got the magazine they mail out and Ken Ham is the keynote speaker in 2015.  So I'm boycotting.

I'm sick to death of Christian homeschooler=young earth creationist.

Help me write a short and sweet email to the powers that be.  I want to make sure they know that not all homeschoolers are young earth and that I will not silently look the other way while this religious belief is taught as science.

Dear organisers,

I was disappointed to see that Ken Hamm is a speaker at your conference this year. As a Christian homeschool mom, I would like to be able to hear speakers with a reputable science background who can help me in my task of raising scientifically literate children. I do not feel Ken Hamm can provide this, nor do I think his approach is one that works for many Christian families. Sadly, my feelings on this matter leave me unable to attend the conference. I look forward to hearing from you, and hope that you are able to invite speakers in the future who have something to offer when it comes to the scientific education of my children.

Yours sincerely.

Seriously, it would have taken days for me to come up with this. Thanks!!

I think your not going is a vote with your money, but will likely be more powerful of an influence if you say why too. Same if you stop shopping somewhere and tell them why, I think it will help them see the effect their speaker has.

Maybe just a letter stating your thoughts? Find another conference that looks like a better fit for you and say why that one is better. Sorry I don't have much concrete advice.

Sadie's letter is great!   I'd send that... if I was ever going to a homeschool conference and then found I couldn't because of speakers.  I've never actually been to a homeschool conference with speakers...  and with 2 high schoolers, odds are I never will!    (I did used to go to a curriculum fair but that was 10 years ago or more... feel sorry for me yet?) 

In any case... right on Sadie.

Seriously, it would have taken days for me to come up with this. Thanks!!

Are you a Christian?  I ask, because that would change how I would frame the letter.

Honestly, to me Sadie's letter says, "I worship at the altar of science," and will probably earn you a quick trip to their round file.

The truth is that the problem is not that there needs to be better science represented.  That may be true, but that's not the issue.  The issue is that Ham represents a subsection of Christians that believe that it's heretical to not believe in young earth creation.  They draw a line in the sand that puts everyone else in the position of enemy of state- do not negotiate.

So, you see, telling them their science is bad is pretty much pointless.  They're not worried about their science.  They are worried about whether or not they are honoring God with this convention.  They are pouring in hours of work, and they're doing it to serve the Lord.  If you want to make any impact, you need to speak to that.

Dear Organizer (note the Z, Sadie  :tongue_smilie: )

I was disappointed to learn that you have placed Ken Ham as your key note speaker for next year's convention.  While Mr. Ham's beliefs are clearly sincere and deeply held, I believe he has become a divisive voice within the Christian homeschool community.  He has repeatedly stated that any Christian who does not share his young earth view of creation is heretical.  Meanwhile, many Christians that hold orthodox beliefs, including the inerrancy of scripture, have not come to this same conclusion.  I believe that at the heart of this convention is your desire to honor God by serving homeschool families.  Unfortunately, Mr. Ham has forsaken some of the highest callings of Christian service and has instead made his views on the creation more important than the Creator.  

I hope that in the future you will consider the larger homeschool community when making your booking decisions.  Unfortunately, this year I will be choosing to stay home.  

Are you a Christian?  I ask, because that would change how I would frame the letter.

Honestly, to me Sadie's letter says, "I worship at the altar of science," and will probably earn you a quick trip to their round file.

The truth is that the problem is not that there needs to be better science represented.  That may be true, but that's not the issue.  The issue is that Ham represents a subsection of Christians that believe that it's heretical to not believe in young earth creation.  They draw a line in the sand that puts everyone else in the position of enemy of state- do not negotiate.

So, you see, telling them their science is bad is pretty much pointless.  They're not worried about their science.  They are worried about whether or not they are honoring God with this convention.  They are pouring in hours of work, and they're doing it to serve the Lord.  If you want to make any impact, you need to speak to that.

I was disappointed to learn that you have placed Ken Ham as your key note speaker for next year's convention.  While Mr. Ham's beliefs are clearly sincere and deeply held, I believe he has become a divisive voice within the Christian homeschool community.  He has repeatedly stated that any Christian who does not share his young earth view of creation is heretical.  Meanwhile, many Christians that hold orthodox beliefs, including the inerrancy of scripture, have not come to this same conclusion.  I believe that at the heart of this convention is your desire to honor God by serving homeschool families.  Unfortunately, Mr. Ham has forsaken some of the highest callings of Christian service and has instead made his views on the creation more important than the Creator.  

I hope that in the future you will consider the larger homeschool community when making your booking decisions.  Unfortunately, this year I will be choosing to stay home.  

I like this...

You do realize that there are more English speaking countries that spell that word with an S than spell it with a Z? And Sadie happens to be from and live in one of them?

It was totally a joke. And the worshiping at the altar comment is me just letting you guys know how that will be received. I wasn't criticizing Sadie, just saying that the approach will not be effective with this crowd.

It was totally a joke. And the worshiping at the altar comment is me just letting you guys know how that will be received. I wasn't criticizing Sadie, just saying that the approach will not be effective with this crowd.

IME, anything that hits a business where it hurts (the $$$ bottom line) will be the most likely to have any impact. I am not sure anything, if even that, that would be effective with a crowd that thinks Ham speaks for homeschoolers in general.

You do realize that there are more English speaking countries that spell that word with an S than spell it with a Z? And Sadie happens to be from and live in one of them?

NZ uses an s. I thing all the z's got removed because someone was angry with the French (or some such daftness). We only have them in size and a few other things. We do have practice as a noun and practise as a verb though :-). Not entirely sure where Sadie comes from but probably not the US.

May put in the letter that you don't think God or the home schooling community are served by having speakers who make a point of being contentious.

I'd definitely let them know.  I'm not a fan at all of Voddie Baucham and the Duggars and such, so I wrote my state organization.

I must be the minority because nothing changed, and they continue to push that type of homeschooling.  At least I wrote them though.

If you regularly buy from convention vendors and plan to buy from them directly now, you could always include a light-hearted comment about Ken Ham and how you are saving money now, because you are not making all those impulse buys you did at the conventions.

I should think that potentially disgruntled vendors would be a big nightmare for organizers.

Are you a Christian? I ask, because that would change how I would frame the letter.

The truth is that the problem is not that there needs to be better science represented. That may be true, but that's not the issue. The issue is that Ham represents a subsection of Christians that believe that it's heretical to not believe in young earth creation. They draw a line in the sand that puts everyone else in the position of enemy of state- do not negotiate.

So, you see, telling them their science is bad is pretty much pointless. They're not worried about their science. They are worried about whether or not they are honoring God with this convention. They are pouring in hours of work, and they're doing it to serve the Lord. If you want to make any impact, you need to speak to that.

Dear Organizer (note the Z, Sadie :tongue_smilie: )

I was disappointed to learn that you have placed Ken Ham as your key note speaker for next year's convention. While Mr. Ham's beliefs are clearly sincere and deeply held, I believe he has become a divisive voice within the Christian homeschool community. He has repeatedly stated that any Christian who does not share his young earth view of creation is heretical. Meanwhile, many Christians that hold orthodox beliefs, including the inerrancy of scripture, have not come to this same conclusion. I believe that at the heart of this convention is your desire to honor God by serving homeschool families. Unfortunately, Mr. Ham has forsaken some of the highest callings of Christian service and has instead made his views on the creation more important than the Creator.

I hope that in the future you will consider the larger homeschool community when making your booking decisions. Unfortunately, this year I will be choosing to stay home.

I can't like this reply enough. For a Christian, this is the heart of the issue.

I've gone to the IAHE convention in the past.  It is has just been ok but there was some decent stuff and it was a fun girl's weekend.

I just got the magazine they mail out and Ken Ham is the keynote speaker in 2015.  So I'm boycotting.

I'm sick to death of Christian homeschooler=young earth creationist.

Help me write a short and sweet email to the powers that be.  I want to make sure they know that not all homeschoolers are young earth and that I will not silently look the other way while this religious belief is taught as science.

The thing is that many reputable scientists are young earth, so boycotting because the keynote speaker is young earth isn't enough.

However, Ken Ham has been a jerk. You could boycott because of that.

Who will it hurt the most, though, if you don't go? Are there alternative events in your community that you would find helpful?

ETA: I think the recent movement among some Christians to make Special Creation/Young Earth part of a statement of faith is a grave error.

So I went to IHAE's website and read the statement of faith.  Point #9 on the statement of faith is this...

In the spiritual unity of believers through our common faith in our Lord Jesus Christ, and that individual differences in doctrine which may exist outside of the aforementioned (1-8), should not hinder the unity of Christian home educators.

I don't see anything the the "aforementioned (1-8)" that would cause me to believe that they are young earth. I think appealing to the idea of how divisive Ken Ham is might go a long way, especially if you quote their own statement of faith. Maybe he is a dynamic speaker, I don't know or care. But I do know that he promotes segregation amongst Christian homeschoolers as evidenced on this board. That is exactly what #9 on the statement of faith is against.

I agree that Sassenach's approach is more likely to have a positive impact. Since the organizers/organisers ;) chose a YE speaker, they probably adhere to YE beliefs themselves so outright criticizing those beliefs would only make them defensive and the offending letter would promptly end up in the trash. A reminder of the variety of viewpoints among believing Christians is more likely to make them stop and think.

Also, if there were going to be vendors you *know* you would have been buying from, you may want to contact each of them, saying something similar. And, encourage them to talk to the management of the convention to point out that they know they are losing convention customers over this.

It's great to write the letter & will have even more impact if the management hears back not only from a hs parent/potential attendee(s), but also from some of the vendors themselves.

The thing is that many reputable scientists are young earth, so boycotting because the keynote speaker is young earth isn't enough.

However, Ken Ham has been a jerk. You could boycott because of that.

Who will it hurt the most, though, if you don't go? Are there alternative events in your community that you would find helpful?

ETA: I think the recent movement among some Christians to make Special Creation/Young Earth part of a statement of faith is a grave error.

I agree. My problem is not his beliefs but his behavior. He says terrible things about people who do not believe everything he does. I would never listen to a word he says because he is so rude and nasty.

:laugh:

I have never been to one. At this point in time I cannot justify spending money on a conference which I will probably come home empty-handed from (the nearest one has mostly Christian curricula but we use secular).

Most of them will allow you to visit the vendor hall for free. Even if I don't attend a conference I do usually walk around the vendor hall.

I would be happy to attend a conference without a keynote speaker, I like the individual workshops as I can choose the ones that are most relevant to me, but I have never heard a keynote address at a homeschool conference that was really worth listening to. If I ever organize a conference we will skip the wasted time and expense and get straight to the meat.

I think it's more important than ever to let the convention organizers know how we view the keynote speakers. In light of recent events with well-known speakers, there is a void in the speaker pool. I think we need to let our voices be heard as to what we want these speakers to talk about - you know, educating our children! There are some speakers out there that would give excellent keynote addresses given the opportunity. I hope that homeschool organizations can find a way to feature them. 

As I said on another thread, many homeschool conventions are not about schooling, the vendor hall increasingly is the only real hint of academics and more and more vendors that have nothing to do with education are taking over- essential oils, Christian t shirts, bee pollen and honey, modesty and purity ball peddlers, .... coupled with marriage seminars, lifestyle seminars, and preaching one narrow subset of "doctrine" which is actually far right legalism.

It feels as though home school convention equals puritan reenactment.

One thing that strikes me is that though Ken started out as a high school science teacher in Aussie, he never talks about how to teach science! He is divisive, and incredibly intolerant which turns so many people off, but the one thing he could talk about, teaching science in high school and preparing students for college and trade school level science, he runs silent about. So it leads one to believe that he is not in favor of much scientific exploration for homeschool students.

It is the only topic he could be said to have expertise in and it is not included in his lectures. His bachelor's is in education and applied science. His "dr" is an honorary from Temple Baptist U and another from Liberty...not earned doctorates.

To be honest, a homeschool convention is fast becoming a place that one does not go to for information on how to help a child learn or to see curriculum reviews and demonstrations. It is a place to go to have the sorting hat tell you that if you agree with a very narrow representation of "the just right version of chrstianity" you get to be in Griffendor and win the house cup, if you kind of but not quite fit the mold, you can be in Hufflepuff or Ravenclaw, and everyone else is relegated to Slytherin and fullfill the roll of hated, poisonous snakes.

The ultimate goal being to purge the mudbloods (OE protestant Christians), and the muggles (non protestants, atheists, followers of other religions) from amongst the ranks and make it completely acceptable to discriminate against them.

It would be really nice if an actual home education convention would take place, but I think that is a pipe dream.

I agree. My problem is not his beliefs but his behavior. He says terrible things about people who do not believe everything he does. I would never listen to a word he says because he is so rude and nasty.

I feel the same way about one of the keynote speakers at a secular convention I had considered attending.

I do not like what I have been reading about the convention/conference scene lately and tend to agree with Faith Manor. Our state offers campouts, which do NOT have keynote speakers or vendors, but have been a far more affordable and comfortable way for ds and I to meet other homeschoolers. I also feel that I get more out of the varied opinions and experiences of boardies than I do out of buying an excessive quantity of books by the "experts".

Real people are the real experts.

I feel the same way about one of the keynote speakers at a secular convention I had considered attending.

I do not like what I have been reading about the convention/conference scene lately and tend to agree with Faith Manor. Our state offers campouts, which do NOT have keynote speakers or vendors, but have been a far more affordable and comfortable way for ds and I to meet other homeschoolers. I also feel that I get more out of the varied opinions and experiences of boardies than I do out of buying an excessive quantity of books by the "experts".

Real people are the real experts.

It doesn't seem any convention is really free from nonsense. Why can't it just be about academics?

Am I the only one who hates homeschool conventions no matter who is speaking?

The first homeschool convention I ever attended featured SWB and Jessie Wise. Although neither of them would remember having met me, I will never forget meeting them and hearing them speak.

I don't remember who the other speakers were -- I recall not being interested in hearing most of them, and I wanted to spend most of my time in the exhibit hall -- but the next year, I couldn't wait to sign up for the convention and see more dynamic and interesting speakers. And then I saw the list of topics. Being a better mother. Being a better Christian wife. Raising Godly children. NO THANK YOU.

If I'm going to attend a homeschool convention, I want the speakers to discuss education. I don't need them to tell me how I should be living my life.

The ultimate goal being to purge the mudbloods (OE protestant Christians), and the muggles (non protestants, atheists, followers of other religions) from amongst the ranks and make it completely acceptable to discriminate against them.

It would be really nice if an actual home education convention would take place, but I think that is a pipe dream.

THIS.

As I said on another thread, many homeschool conventions are not about schooling, the vendor hall increasingly is the only real hint of academics and more and more vendors that have nothing to do with education are taking over- essential oils, Christian t shirts, bee pollen and honey, modesty and purity ball peddlers, .... coupled with marriage seminars, lifestyle seminars, and preaching one narrow subset of "doctrine" which is actually far right legalism.

One thing that strikes me is that though Ken started out as a high school science teacher in Aussie, he never talks about how to teach science! He is divisive, and incredibly intolerant which turns so many people off, but the one thing he could talk about, teaching science in high school and preparing students for college and trade school level science, he runs silent about. So it leads one to believe that he is not in favor of much scientific exploration for homeschool students.

It is the only topic he could be said to have expertise in and it is not included in his lectures. His bachelor's is in education and applied science. His "dr" is an honorary from Temple Baptist U and another from Liberty...not earned doctorates.

To be honest, a homeschool convention is fast becoming a place that one does not go to for information on how to help a child learn or to see curriculum reviews and demonstrations. It is a place to go to have the sorting hat tell you that if you agree with a very narrow representation of "the just right version of chrstianity" you get to be in Griffendor and win the house cup, if you kind of but not quite fit the mold, you can be in Hufflepuff or Ravenclaw, and everyone else is relegated to Slytherin and fullfill the roll of hated, poisonous snakes.

Opinionated, aren't you?  It's OK, I agree.

I am a conservative-leaning college STEM professor who has always worked and homeschooled.  I believe in a Creator-God, but frankly don't want to take a stand YE versus OE because I see the arguments on both sides. Some of my professional friends have told me that they can't picture me being a homeschooling mom because I don't wear a denim jumper, and I read the Washington Post and the Wall Street Journal every day.  And some of my Christian friends have told me that they didn't think they wanted anything to do with me at first because I work outside the home.  Ah, the stereotypes.

It's sad because indeed the homeschool world is wide and varied, but a certain segment is putting up fences and not opening up the gates unless you're one of them because of fear and the desire to separate.  I'm not one of them, so I'll just stay outside, thank you!

That is why I do my little Catholic convention with workshops regarding actually teaching children at home. o_0 And I have a difficult time getting people to understand this; I get blank looks (or silences on the phone) when I say I want only workshops that deal with what to teach and how to teach and when to teach and why to teach..whatever it is. I also want only workshop presenters who have not written or published anything, and who aren't exhibitors. I want actual experienced homeschooling parents (except for my keynote speaker).

Happily, I haven't had to pay a boatload for my convention site, and I can afford to invite only exhibitors who have products or services that are directly related to homeschooling. If I had to pay big bucks, I would probably invite the crafts and essential oils and whatnot, which are kind of fun to look at. :-) 

It is definitely a *Catholic* convention, though, but it is clearly labeled as such so no surprises for people who are members of different houses. :-)

I boycotted mine this past spring.  They had Doug Philips slated to be key note speaker which is why I initially cancelled but after the implosion of vision forum ministries he was cancelled but I still stayed away simply because I was irked they would have been okay with him to begin with.  I am on the facebook page for the organization that hosts the convention and the tone they are talking lately is making me rethink ever attending again.  We have 3 ways to homeschool in alberta, this group only acknowledges 1 form as being "right" which has always been the case but has recently taken to actually telling families openly on the page that they are outright wrong, harming their kids, supporting gov't, etc if they post asking members for help with the other ways of educating (we are a regulated province so the ways relate specific to how you are registered not methodology).  THe last couple years the talks have focused on being a better wife and mother, why working out of the home harms our kids etc.  SO it was already getting to be a thorn in my side.  We are even registered in the way they deem "acceptable" and I want to b*tch slap someone most days.  They claim to be the voice for all homeschoolers in alberta yet only acknowledge 1/3 of them, and even within that number shun many based on not leading a christian, young creationist, 2 parent home.  It is the biggest convention in my province, there are a couple other 1 day deals in other cities, but this one is THE one, the big one.  It used to be a place I looked forward to attending because the topics were on actually teaching etc but now it is all about whether or not you are good enough, christian enough, doing it right etc.  Not worth the admission fee, gas, hotel, food etc when all I would do there is go to the vendor hall (and you have to pay full price just to get in the vendor hall)

Dangit! Still a muggle! I'm never going to Hogwarts am I? :(

:D

I have no advice for OP beyond, saying I think you should definitely let them know why you are not attending. And you should also contact any vendors you would have shopped at and voice your displeasure at the "association".

It is, afterall, the squeaky wheel that gets the grease. Silent protest is no protest.

Eta: Holy spelling atrocities! Dang phone "typing".

I boycotted mine this past spring. They had Doug Philips slated to be key note speaker which is why I initially cancelled but after the implosion of vision forum ministries he was cancelled but I still stayed away simply because I was irked they would have been okay with him to begin with. I am on the facebook page for the organization that hosts the convention and the tone they are talking lately is making me rethink ever attending again. We have 3 ways to homeschool in alberta, this group only acknowledges 1 form as being "right" which has always been the case but has recently taken to actually telling families openly on the page that they are outright wrong, harming their kids, supporting gov't, etc if they post asking members for help with the other ways of educating (we are a regulated province so the ways relate specific to how you are registered not methodology). THe last couple years the talks have focused on being a better wife and mother, why working out of the home harms our kids etc. SO it was already getting to be a thorn in my side. We are even registered in the way they deem "acceptable" and I want to b*tch slap someone most days. They claim to be the voice for all homeschoolers in alberta yet only acknowledge 1/3 of them, and even within that number shun many based on not leading a christian, young creationist, 2 parent home. It is the biggest convention in my province, there are a couple other 1 day deals in other cities, but this one is THE one, the big one. It used to be a place I looked forward to attending because the topics were on actually teaching etc but now it is all about whether or not you are good enough, christian enough, doing it right etc. Not worth the admission fee, gas, hotel, food etc when all I would do there is go to the vendor hall (and you have to pay full price just to get in the vendor hall)

I'm in Alberta, but only afterschooling for now... I'm going to have to choose a school board soon. Could you let me know which organizing organization it is that you have noticed these things about?

:thumbup1:

I do use many AIG resources, but I don;t go to homeschool conventions- they rarely seem to be about actual homeschooling. So even though we do like many of the Ken Ham resources, I would never pay money to go and hear him tell me what I already (mostly) believe, especially if it didn;t help me plan my day/week/year and figure out those pesky transcripts.  :nopity:

Am I the only one who hates homeschool conventions no matter who is speaking?

I no longer attend. I am no longer in need of modesty sermons, baby/child "training", cloth diapers, essential oils/vitamins, wheat berries and grinders, and planners to schedule my day down to 10-second intervals. :glare:

:ack2:

:thumbup1: :hurray: :iagree:

My "likes" for the day are gone- but I have to say I agree 100million%.

I'm in Alberta, but only afterschooling for now... I'm going to have to choose a school board soon. Could you let me know which organizing organization it is that you have noticed these things about?

AHEA- they only "approve" of traditional education and therefore only approve of Wisdom, THEE and other traditional boards.  Blended or aligned homeschooling and the boards that support those are seen as flat out wrong.  Are you on the AHEA fb page at all? I have notived this a lot in the last couple weeks as people start posting questions in preparation of the next school year.  It trickled down too, for example, an AHEA board member that posts there often is also leader of my local homeschool support group and brings that attitude to the meetings.  SO if moms start talking together about what they are doing for high school so their kids can get the alberta diploma, she will interrupt and quite loudly turn the entire conversation into why doing so is negative for our kids and only supports the gov't etc.  We have many members in our local group but only about 5 show up each month to meetings, the rest of us have taken to talking outside of the group because we are either registered aligned/blended or like me registered traditional but still doing APS to earn the alberta diploma.

There are some boards that are very inclusive and open no matter what form of registering they offer, and others that think only 1 way is best (argyll believes aligned is best and support it the most; whereas a board like wisdom is very open).  Also some boards like centre for learning are not open to special needs kids and will tell parents (like they did to me) that spec ed students should be in public school.

PM me if you are interested in what board I am with and why I chose them.  THey are a cool board that most unschoolers go with because they are traditional and when they do their annual evaluation they focus on the character of the kid not academics YET they offer classical ed online classes.  My teens are doig human society (ethics while reading aristotle and plato), natural science using fabre's insect world, and high school writing this term, last year dd15 studied latin online, they do classic lit classes online, history etc.  Great board for our needs; we have been with several others over the years so could answer questions about them too (cfl @ home and THEE in past).

Okay threadjack over lol

Washpo and wsj are both conservative news sources. So I'm not real clear on that comment. Unless your friends read grossly biased rags like that other Washington paper.

Regarding another post-

I don't believe many reputable scientists are YE creationists. Maybe a few.

Probably fewer than 10 total in the US who have a doctorate in geology, the scientific field arguably most knowledgable about the age of the earth.

There's Marcus Ross at Liberty

Snelling at AiG (though he's Australian)

Austin at ICR

Clarey at ICR

Any others? It might be closer to five actually.

Edited to say Ross has his doctorate in Paleontology so doesn't count on this list of geologists. However, it is a specialty closely related to the age of the earth, so I'll amend my list to include paleontologists and I'll add Kurt Wise to the list.

We're fairly conservative, evangelical Christians, however, we're not young earth.  And I happen to think Ken Ham is a whack-job.  

We saw him at a conference last spring.  I caught his first presentation (the conference opener).  It wasn't awful.  I thought it was full of some pretty strange deductions, but it wasn't awful. 

However, Trap caught one of his workshops the next day while I went to Debra Bell.  He walked out halfway through because Ham was such a jerk about people who dared to disagree with Young Earth.  

I echo the 237 other people who agreed with Sassenach's letter.  

That's what I'd send, too.