Chelli

How Do You Pronounce "Applicable"  

192 members have voted

1. 1. The first letter in the word applicable sounds like

• Long A
    • Short A
    • Broad A (uh)
    • I never say this word

Where do you put the stress?  I say it as uh-PLICK-uh-bl.  If the first syllable is stressed instead, that would change the pronunciation for me to A-plick-uh-bl (to rhyme with 'apple').

L

Yeah, I voted short "a" but that's only if the stress is on the first syllable.  If the stress is on the 2nd syllable, it's "uh" for the first.  That's my vote--

B--

Where do you put the stress?  I say it as uh-PLICK-uh-bl.  If the first syllable is stressed instead, that would change the pronunciation for me to A-plick-uh-bl (to rhyme with 'apple').

L

Exactly. I seem to stress the word differently depending on the sentence, but I am not sure how to give you examples of when I use which.

Where do you put the stress? I say it as uh-PLICK-uh-bl. If the first syllable is stressed instead, that would change the pronunciation for me to A-plick-uh-bl (to rhyme with 'apple').

L

I say it this second way. I am in the mid-atlantic.

L

Me too. The 1st way.

I say it uh-PLICK-uh-bl.  

DH says APP-lick-uh-bl.

Where do you put the stress? I say it as uh-PLICK-uh-bl. If the first syllable is stressed instead, that would change the pronunciation for me to A-plick-uh-bl (to rhyme with 'apple').

L

This is how I say it--second syllable stressed; though I have heard it with the first syllable stressed.

Well my first thought was that because it changes with the stress, it must be like "CON-tent" and "con-TENT" which have different meanings. But then I couldn't figure out what the two meanings were. But I'm sure I say it both ways in different contexts. I put with the "uh" sound because I usually say it that way, I think.

Thanks everyone for your replies! According to the poll I am in the minority since I say it with the "uh" sound at the beginning, but it's still considered a correct pronunciation so that's good! The radio guy used the short a sound at the beginning.

I say it like apple but I was totally thrown for a loop when I had a boss speaking and she said "non-applicable" with the "uh" sound on the second part. I thought it sounded SO WRONG but then I realized that it's just another way it can be said.

I never thought of the word nonapplicable, but when I put "non" in front of it, I pronounce it with a short a sound instead of keeping the "uh" sound. Weird.