Menu

Why do I bother?

Dmmetler

My cover school is giving the PSAT next month, and I e-mailed them to see if DD could possibly take it if there was space available. I stated that she was near the top on 3 of 4 sections of the EXPLORE on out of level testing, and that I'd prefer her to take a shorter test this year than the ACT or SAT that doesn't have an essay section due to her age.  (And, while it's possible this particular person doesn't have the data, her past test history is part of her school record with them.)

The response

"The PSAT is not appropriate for a young child. What about the SAT-10?".

Ugh...

Maybe we'll just skip a year.

You are DYS. You have solid explore scores. What additional information can the PSAT give you? Do some timed tests at home if you want a shorter test. Do the SAT through TIP or NUMATS or Belin Blank or whoever your "home" group is locally if you want externally useful scores.

Your local groups response is  offensive but really what information are you looking for?

ETA. On a further reading of your post.. I agree the essay is an issue. I can understand the problems with either doing it or suggesting kiddo just take a nap...

I have found questions and extra information to be unhelpful in these situations. I try not to open any doors for ongoing debate as to what would be best for my children. My email would look something like this:

Dear XXX,

I am emailing to register my daughter, xxxx. for the (date) PSAT. Please forward me a registration packet or advise me on the next step to ensure my daughter has a seat at the PSAT. I would prefer to make a payment using (name method.)

Thank you,

It doesn't always work, but the results have been better than asking or suggesting there is any reason my child should not be registered, considered, etc.

I really don't think the PSAT will be useful in your situation. I would either:

1. go with the SAT/ ACT either directly through the testing entities or talent search, IF you think it will be really useful and just have her sit out the writing section (i.e. don't write anything for the SAT essay portion but she will have to be okay with sitting there for 25 mins with nothing to do) -- if this is for SET, they don't look at writing scores anyway

2. leave off and just focus on her interests and monitoring her from day to day like you already do and wait till she can take the new SAT without essay

3. go ahead and apply for PSAT anyway like Melissa B mentioned, without asking questions first about your DD's eligibility

The only reason we did the SAT was because we knew for sure that we should have the score in our toolbox to open doors as soon as possible. It was a matter of having to get it done before the coming fall's enrollment season. If it's not urgent I really don't see the need to do it now. Just my 2 cents.

The main reason I'm looking for an alternative test is that

a) DD is used to taking a test each year, so I'd rather not change that. At first, it was DH's insistence. At this point, I don't think he'd object to skipping a year, but DD is in the habit of doing so, and it also gives her something "normal" because all the kids who she is in outside classes with who attend PS do a yearly test. And if she's going to do a test, I'd like it to be something challenging for her.

b) I think we've reached the point of diminishing returns on the EXPLORE, where it's no longer new, challenging, or interesting, and she's not going to put in the effort to do well. I saw it to some degree last year, and this year, I think it would be pretty much about like sending her into the regular grade level test.

I thought the PSAT might be a challenging, different test while being about the length of the EXPLORE and not having the essay. I think she'd have a hard time not doing the essay if everyone else is doing it, and I also suspect the essay would be tiring for her and frustrating, because her motor skills are age appropriate, if not a bit behind. She can now handle doing an AOPS problem set in one sitting, but that's about as much writing as she can handle and keep it legible and lined up, and I've deliberately chosen to leave her writing for math (and science calculations) where she NEEDS to be able to write, and to let her type for humanities-type classes.  Unfortunately, you can't register directly for the PSAT.

The PSAT won't open up any doors for her at this point, while the SAT (and to a lesser extent the ACT) might. Can you have her practice writing just a few sentences during the essay portion if she does not want to leave it blank?

ETA: oldest DD skipped testing during 4th grade. 3rd grade she did the EXPLORE and 5th grade she did an above-level ITBS at home. Last year in 6th she had seen enough of the math tested on the SAT that I was confident she wouldn't have a meltdown over it. She could've done the verbal in an earlier grade but there isn't an option to only take one section.