Menu

What are some alternatives to professional piano lessons for young kids?

My girls have been taking weekly piano lessons at school (during aftercare) since they were 4.  This year they are not going to aftercare, and their teacher is in a time crunch due to having a baby.  So we have to figure out a new plan.

My girls have a very busy schedule this year.  They will have time to practice piano independently while I work, but formal weekly lessons will be hard to pull off.  I am thinking about letting the kids do a little more self-directed learning with an occasional check-in with their teacher (she has some time slots at a school in another city, kind of far away.)  I have a lot of different books that they could use to pursue music that they choose in between drills and scales.

Trying to be creative here.  Any other ideas?

PS, they are going on 8 years old.

Do you have an iPad? I really like the Piano Maestro app, and it's now free for the full version if the teacher registers. The teacher can see what they're working on. It does a good job of breaking down HOW to practice a piece. It also includes some pieces from several piano series.

It's not ideal, but it might be a good fit for your purposes.

What level are they in? (the curriculum or method book series level). Depending on that you could buy the method and supplement books from another publisher with the same level. Different publishers approach the content and complexity of each level a little differently. And their supplemental books have a wide variety of repertoire. So, a very easy way for your kids to keep working on piano is for you to get different books at their level and assign pieces to them weekly for practicing and performing for you and your family (at a set day, say Friday night or Sunday night). If there are questions (which I doubt they will have given that they have gone over that level already) check with the teacher if she can respond by email?

Another idea off the top of my head would be a piano teacher who would teach them at your house. Many teachers travel to the children's home to teach. And many music college students are doing it too. 

Maybe lessons at a music store open on the weekends (if your weekends are better schedule-wise). I agree with pp about someone coming to the house.

When I was a child taking piano I did need someone to help me with a lot of stuff: timing mostly, but notes, finger placement, etc. I was not a great music reader (took a lot of effort for me), so just having me play sheet music without guidance would not have worked.