Menu

Is it too early in the year. . .

for me to say a big thank you to all of you for telling me about AOPS?

I am not a math person, but I come from a family of math/science people. My husband is not really a math person either, but he also comes from a family of math/science people. After my doing all kinds of research trying to decide what curriculum to use for our 13yo ds for algebra 1 and above, I finally ordered AOPS (and a used backup of another book, just in case). He didn't play around much on Alcumus, which I signed him up for to see if he liked the approach, so I didn't know if it would work or not.

This child is really coming into his own academically, and it is fun to watch. He LOVES this book. He is at the end of chapter 2. I hope he continues to love it. The first time he did a challenge problem, the grin on his face was priceless. I can't really help him much (in part, because I don't like algebra, and don't want to ;) ), so I told him at the first that if this worked, it would have to be because he was willing to put the time and effort into it. He does occasionally say, "Mom, I need help!" So I walk over, look at it vaguely (it has been about 35 years since I took algebra), say something like "Duh, I'm not sure. . . let me look at it," and then he figures it out. :)

I had never heard of AOPS before this board. Thank you, thank you, thank you! He has gone from liking math, to enthusiastically loving it.

ETA: This afternoon we were talking about math, and he said, "I don't really know yet if I am a math person or not." I said, "Well, if you weren't a math person, you wouldn't like AoPS!" Another big grin. I think he likes that identity.