Menu

Continent boxes

Coco_Clark

I want to slowly put together continent boxes or the kids as we study a continent a month this year. There are lots of resources for printables, but a box full of paper is going to be pretty underwhelming. Does anyone have any affordable resources for small items to add?

Ideas so far:

Toob animals (come in every continent except Europe)

Toob landmarks

Sticker book of world flags

Coins (how to get?)

Postcards (how to get?)

Small Nesting doll (Europe)

Small boomerang (Australia)

- Cut out pictures (from magazines, calendars, obsolete AAA guides, etc.) and stick them on card stock or construction paper

- Instead of plastic animals, landmarks, etc., you can make paper ones that stand up

- Pick a common phrase and print it in different languages from that continent; stick it on a card 

- Rubber stamps with patterns used in art in that continent

ETA:  

- Postcards, maps
- Small jigsaw puzzles
- CDs of music and poetry
- Pieces of fabric & other textiles

- Check Oriental Trading (e.g. under Curriculum Supplies -> Social Studies, or searching by name of a continent or major country) for cheap craft kits, flags, etc.

I have been thinking about the same thing.

Some small pocket sized books maybe (think Dover).

Also check ebay for coin lots and maybe some unusual souvenirs. 

What about getting some snacks from those places and then putting the wrappers in there ?(ok, when I traveled I would keep wrappers  :lol:  Yes I'm a geek whatever! I still have chocolate wrappers from Iraq LOL Just clean them well and seal in a plastic baggie.) Like when we study Japan I am going to take them to the local Asian market and pick out some snacks (rice crackers/Japanese soda or the like).

Maybe ask on freecycle for anything people are ready to get rid of. You never know, but it might depend on your area and how many international travelers are around there.

Coins - ask your neighbors if you know they are regular business travelers or you are in an expat area.

Silk or silkworm - Thailand and China

Chopsticks - China

Spices - India (check supermarket for the small spice jars)

Tea - India, China, Japan (supermarket browsing)

Kiwi fruit - New Zealand

If you have a Cost Plus World Market, it is fun browsing and checking where the items came from. Plenty of European and Asian food.

I have been putting together a continent box - just one for all the continents. I have the same as your ideas plus knicks-knacks. I lived in Europe and have had relatives travel the world, so I have money and postcards from many places.

Craft stores sometimes have knick-knack type stuff. For example, you can find an Eiffel Tower in the jewelry section (although that is in the toobs landmark that you probably have. In the scrap booking section, you can find sticker sheets for countries/cities that would work well for a box.

When someone I know is traveling, I ask if they can pick something up for me for around $5. I got a maraca from Mexico and a magnet from Israel recently from friends traveling to those places.

Your Goodwill may have stuff too that people got tired of having around their house.

I got a big felt map of the world from Discovery Kids that came with felt animals. I used the animals when studying that country.

You could add foods and spices.  You could even try noodles from each continent or bread.

For Asia, chopsticks, origami and other paper crafts, maybe paper lanterns? Oh and tea! Learning about different types of tea and how each is made is kind of interesting.

You could make flashcards of quotes/sayings from each continent or frame a single quote.

Maybe find items that are considered lucky on each continent. Pennies, ladybugs, crickets, rabbit's foot

Travel brochures?

Dress up paper dolls with national costumes?

Mini flags

Recipe card for a local food to try

Music cd

Language or vernacular dictionary.

You could get something sensory to do with the countries economy... I guess for aus that could be wool, wheat, wine... Not sure how you'd do mining...