Menu

AAR level 4

vaquitita

Anyone know what reading level a child would be at after finishing AAR level 4?

My 9yo has expressed interest in doing 'lessons with ziggy' after watching my 7yo doing level 1 and my 4yo doing the pre level. Looking over the placement tests, I'm thinking level 4, but I don't want to get it if it will be too easy for him. He currently reads at a 6-8th grade level. I can't seem to find any info on the AAL website about this.

I wouldn't spend money on AAR 4 if your son is already reading at a 6-8th grade level.  It sounds like it's more of a case of him thinking his younger sibling is having more fun.  Ziggy is not prevalent past the first level anyway.  Level 3 has a monkey that leaves little comments at the end of some chapters, but that's about it. 

Level 4 will be the final level of the reading program. At the end of Level 4, students have the phonics and word attack skills necessary to sound out high school level words, though they may not know the meaning of all higher level words.(Word attack skills include things like dividing words into syllables, making analogies to other words, sounding out the word with the accent on different word parts, recognizing affixes, etc…)

A general overview of what L4 will cover:

basic and advanced phonograms: ey, ear, ui, a in unaccented syllables, ph, ou,  gu, gn, ei, aught, or and ar in unaccented syllables, ough, ie, ar influenced by w, si, our, a influenced by l, and words where i says y.

It will also cover the plural of words ending in f and fe.

Students will gain speed and accuracy in recognizing common syllables, plus study words with split vowels and consonant-le exceptions.

Many suffixes will be covered such as ible and able, ance and ence, sion, ic, al, ous, ist, ism, ity, ize, ary, ery, ure, words where /in/ is spelled ain and /iv/ is spelled ive, plus unaccented Name Game Syllables.

Students will learn about silent letters in words containing  rh, gh, mb, and mn.

Finally, the series will cover decoding words that contain Greek, French, Spanish, and Italian influences.

The samples are up now too.

HTH you as you decide what's best for him!

Well, I ended up ordering level 4. My ds may not get full usage of it, but I felt he would get enough to justify the purchase even if just for the TM and readers-- which I considered just buying those. However, having it on hand for the next one isn't terrible. :) it looks amazing.