Menu

CAP Narrative 1 and expectations with my 4th grader

ByGrace3

We completed Fable last spring and I did a good bit of hand holding (which was fine). We are in our first week of Narrative one and I am trying to while not completely leave her alone, more-- just see what she is capable of. 

Lesson 3-- I helped her with a few small spelling issues and a few "ok, what happened then?" and helped her talk out a few ideas once or twice when she got stuck, but for the most part she did this alone. 

I am just not sure what to expect. Is that the level of handholding that should be there at this point? I think for her this is the level of output I can expect with "a little help." Her first attempt only had only about half the first paragraph. ;) I sent her back to the drawing board. 

Ok, then what? We are finished? Do we take time and edit this? Improve it? Or is that not necessary at this stage of the game?

Feedback on what I can do to help her, or even if this seems on target/way off of what I should be expecting would be great. Thanks! 

Narrative 1 Lesson 3 Amplification:"The Rich Fool"

A rich young man had so many crops of corn his house was filled with corn, his pool was filled with corn, and his land was filled with corn. His wife and seven children told him to build a lot bigger stronger barns. He put lots of shelves in his barns. All of his neighbors came to his house and asked him for corn because they were poor, but of course he said no every day. His neighbors kept on coming back, but he still said no. One day his neighbors came up with a plan to get some corn. They took a lot of corn. Every day they would steal corn. One day the rich man saw this and made them leave that second. The man put big locks on the barns to keep them out. 

God told him that he was a fool because he would not share his crops. He was greedy and selfish. God said he would die that night. "What will you do with your corn when you are dead?"

People should be kind and generous to honor God. 

That's a clever story.

I  like to do co-writing with my two ala brave writer, because I think modeling and co-creating is the best way to learn to write. I don't have enough years in yet to see how this works in the end, but it appears to be working really well here. I did that the majority of the time when they were her age. Especially as we've gotten a little older and gained experience, and in the interest of time, I do have my two write on their own and then share it with me. In those cases I point out good stuff I want to see more of (what a strong verb! or I can really picture that--great description!) and I usually pick out something we can make better (maybe a clunky sentence or weak verb....just a single thing).

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know. Its a good question. My 5th grade dd is doing Narrative 2 and she churns out really fun creative stuff on her first attempt. As long as she understood the concept and really took her time, I never make her wrote a second draft because that's not really what the W&R program expects,. Remember, they are already re-writing a story. Imagine having to always have to re-write a re-write. That sounds pretty boring for a 10 year old.

Now, as this pertains to your daughter's story, I would encourage her to add her own flair, not just make it longer or more detailed. She could make it funny, add dialogue, etcetera. But in my opinion for a 4th grader, I think your daughter wrote a nicely organized, clear, anplifucation that makes sense. In time, you could see about inspiring her to have some more fun with these.

• 2 weeks later...

I never make her wrote a second draft because that's not really what the W&R program expects,. Remember, they are already re-writing a story. Imagine having to always have to re-write a re-write. That sounds pretty boring for a 10 year old.

This has been my basic take on it. I could ask for "more" from her and have her edit and rewrite and have great "pieces." At the end, her writing would improve, I know, but I don't want to kill the joy of the process either. And I guess I keep thinking, this level of W&R doesn't call for that process, so perhaps I am over thinking things. Maybe just give some pointers for next time, or better yet, file the pointers and bring them out at the start of the next work...

I am seeing progress-- progress that cod be enhanced if I asked or "more," but perhaps I need to just let her progress with the text and trust the program? Assuming of ourselves that the program is not requiring more than what I am giving! :lol: