Menu

What age to start chapter book read-alouds?

At what age would you recommend starting to read chapter books to kids?

I have a 2.5 yr old, and baby #2 is due to arrive any day. I thought it would be a good way to spend time with her while nursing, but I'm not sure she'll comprehend the continuity of a chapter book at this age.

Thoughts or suggestions?

Thank you!

We started chapter books at age 4.5/5. However, I want to reiterate what the pp said. There are so many wonderful picture books, more than one can possibly read. And some become such favorites that they are read over and over again. Don't miss out on this rich source of literature.

Same: Our oldest was 4.5. My then three-year-old sat through our chapter-book read-alouds last year and at bedtime. 

But don't skip the picture books! Find the really, really good ones. You'll know when you do. You don't want to poke your eyes out when your DC brings it to you.

I don't honestly remember with ds we probably started in the 4-5ish range, although we kept with doing lots of picture books. I did some chapter books with dd last year at 6 but she is enjoying it much more this year at 7. I was beginning to wonder if she would ever enjoy it like ds did but she was actually asking me to read more the other day, so she was just a bit later with it than he was.

I think you can read some chapter books at that age depending on how experienced a listener she is. My current 2yr old does not pay attention at all when I read chapter books. Most of my kids were ready for chapter books between 3 and 4. You could start with a collection of picture books. We have one called All about Alfie. It has 4 Alfie stories in one book. We also have a complete collection of Beatrix Potter stories. My 3yr olds have enjoyed The Jamie and Angus stories, Magic Treehouse books, Frog and Toad, Two Times the Fun, Beezus and Ramona, and Stories Julian Tells.

I still read picture books to my 8yr old. I think I switch to more chapter books than picture books around age 6. There are so many great picture books, so even when you start chapter books, continue with the picture books too.

Definitely don't skip the picture books! That said, reading The Complete Tales and Poems of Winnie-the-Pooh is a great introduction to chapter-style books. Each story stands on its own, but the common characters and subject matter give it the chapter-book feel. That book and the Beatrix Potter tales are how our family has segued from primarily picture books to primarily chapter books. My Father's Dragon and Mr. Popper's Penguins were other stories that kept my boys' attention when they were quite young. My daughter just turned 3 and we haven't tried any chapter books for her yet, aside from whatever she picks up from listening in on her brothers' read-alouds.

I started even later than everybody else. I would say 5 - 6. I have a new four year old now and wouldn't dream of starting chapter books yet. She still loves illustrations too much. We just move into longer and more complex picture books.

We listen to audio books in the car a lot. My seven year old didn't like them until she was six. My four year old dislikes them. She would rather listen to music in the car.

I should probably add that I don't like reading chapter books aloud. I can read picture books out loud all day but I have a short limit on chapter books.

We started about 4.5, I think. We started with Narnia. We haven't stopped since. I agree with others, don't pass up great picture books. Most picture books have much richer language than the really early chapter books. In my view, early chapter books don't deserve the time to be read aloud. (I'm talking about the Magic School Bus, Magic Treehouse type of books.). If I am going to read aloud I want it to be rich enjoyable language that we can both appreciate.

I should probably add that I don't like reading chapter books aloud. I can read picture books out loud all day but I have a short limit on chapter books.

I'm the opposite. Most picture books drive me up the wall, especially if I have to read them more than once. So I jump into the chapters books early.

I should do more FIAR. Those books are generally tolerable.

I have a 2.5 yr old, and baby #2 is due to arrive any day. I thought it would be a good way to spend time with her while nursing, but I'm not sure she'll comprehend the continuity of a chapter book at this age.

Thoughts or suggestions?

Thank you!

In my head, I don't think about whether a book has chapters or not; I think about how long the book is and if my dc can sit through it or not. :-)

I read "The Wizard of Oz" to my dd when she was 5, and probably most books we read after that were juvenile novels (although we did have a book called "The Donkey Prince" that was a fairly long short story and so had no chapters).

Well I started at 2 with both of mine (actually a fuzz earlier), but they were very short chapters that stood on their own.  Teddy Robinson Storybook, The  is THE MOST WONDERFUL book ever.  Adore.  :)

Mine both started more typical chapter books (Charlotte's Web, Narnia, Little House, etc.) later, more like 3-4, but they were intertwined with audiobooks, meaning I put them on as background and sometimes picked them up and read.  There's a lot of background language at our house.  

I don't think the age matters.  Just try something and see what happens.  If it doesn't click, try a different length or genre.  I tried things with ds that I thought would work and didn't.  That's ok.  :)

And yes, that's how we got a lot done, because they were nursing.  Ds weaned earlier, at 2.5, and he's a major go-bug.  He'll still sit for things, but I get illustrated versions or things that are very descriptive (The Hobbit, Peter Pan, etc.).  For him, lots of audiobooks.  I think dd was 4 when we read through the Little House series.  She enjoyed it quite a bit.  Kids just vary.  She spent a year or two before that VERY into Charlotte's Web.  You just never know what will capture their imagination.  But I wouldn't feel compelled.  Just try things and see what happens.  Check out that Teddy Robinson book though.  It might be just what you're looking for.

Also, we read a LOT of fairy tales from ages 3-4, on into 5.  The Lang books, yes, but before that the illustrated version.  Nursing makes them a captive audience, hehe.  Here's the fairy tales book I have that I love.  If you can find an affordable version, it's beautiful.  If not, get whatever.  The Golden Book of Fairy Tales (Golden Classics)  

For my youngest, she's been listening to chapter books since the beginning, but that's because she has older siblings. If she were the oldest, then I'd probably echo 4-ish just because when we were reading she'd often wander away to play when she lost interest.

If length is the issue, why not put a basket full of picture books right near where you nurse? Then nurse the baby and let the older one hop up and down to pick books from the basket. I'd stock that full of special ones from the library and then some longer story collections like Pooh or the "Herriot Treasury for Children." On the other hand, my kids were also really good at getting books of the shelf for me to read and then putting them back when I was nursing a babe and they were around-ish your oldest's age.

I started longer stories and chapter books at about 2.5 with my dd. That being said, we love picture books! We simply have different sessions. Whatever she wants to read or be read throughout the day(usually science, fairy tales, or her current love of Greek Myths), then at Quiet Time we have our chapter book read-aloud/buddy read, Life of Fred, and her own readig time...and at night we have an hour of picture books, biographies, living math books and whatever strikes her fancy:)

I think it is important to continue picture books for so many reasons, and plan to continue with them for quite some time. Higher-level language, imagery, the stories they will carry with them always...not to mention it is ridiculously easy to teach literary concepts and 'advanced' topics with picture books! But at the same time, I think that in most cases starting chapter read-alouds can train them to listen more carefully and sit for longer periods of time. I think that it trains different areas of the brain than picture books in a way, and really strive for a nice balance.

I wouldn't with a 2.5 year old who is the oldest. Why rush? And kids that age would generally rather read the same picture book 20 times.

That said ds5 was 2.5 because ds7 was ready for them at 4.5. I really don't think he followed them that well until 3 or 3.5 and some books actually made him cry they were so boring for him.

3.5 was when both my children were ready for early chapter books - however I still read picture books to both of them - at young ages I wouldn't let chpater books replace picture books entirely - I would do both. The other day we had friends visiting and I read a few picture books to the children who were here - they were 3, 5, 6, 7 and 10 years old and they all loved them - I think the 10 year old was pretending to just put up with them because I was really reading to the 3 year old while the rest were playing something else, but I heard giggles from all of them and they were all perfectly engaged.

My oldest was 3.5, but he's always loved books. My middle guy will be 5 in two weeks and I've tried many times with him. The only book he's sat through is the Hobbit and that's because he's seen the movies with his brother and wanted to know what happens in the last one but we wouldn't tell him. He's not had an interest in sitting through another one since then.

Thoughts or suggestions?

Thank you!

I did not begin chapter books until kindergarten. First, because there are so many fabulous, well written, beautifully illustrated picture books. And second, because I think that books with a lot of repetition and rhyme contribute to developing auditory comprehension. Think Mother Goose and Hungry Caterpillar. Oh, and third, because my dc were not ready, ymmv.

My recommendation would be to get a copy of Jim Trelease's Read-Aloud Handbook for good ideas.

When we did start chapter books, I tried to get stories that were about kids the ages of my dc. It helped get them totally involved in the story. Our personal favorites were part of the Riverside Kids stories by Johanna Hurwitz. She was a librarian who (according to wiki) was one of the first authors to write chapter books that provided an easy transition from picture books.

Btw, we still have our best picture books and still love them!

It depends on the child.  I started reading some shorter chapter books to my boys around 4-5.  We got into it more as my older was 6 and my younger was 4, so we'd read together.  My current 4 year old has no interest in sitting and listening, so we still read lots of picture books.  She occasionally listens for a minute or two as I'm reading to the older kids, but I have no plans to start any chapter books just for her anytime soon.

I don't think you can start too early as long as your child is enjoying it. Start slow and don't have too high expectations.

Each year we actually read more picture books, rather than fewer. Starting chapter books doesn't mean putting picture books aside. We love both - even my 11 yr-old still enjoys them.

I started when DD was around 2.5. The most successful that year were Charlotte's Web, Little House in the Big Woods, and Mouse & the Motorcycle (I strongly suggest you stick with talking animals at age 2). We've read all those (and a million more) again since. It's fun to reread them. I don't understand the wait mentality....they get very different things out of them at different ages. At that age I mostly read big chapter books at meals. Snuggle time was usually picture books.

If you think she's ready, give it a go. It may be more for YOU than for your child, and that's okay too! :thumbup1:

I think we started around 4ish, give or take.

Don't skip too quickly to chapter books! There are outstanding picture books people tend to miss when they do so! Picture books can have the rich language and even a bit of the rich plot/characters that chapter books have.

I totally, totally second (or third or fourth) this.

And remember to read picture books to your younger child.  I didn't do this, because child 2 was used to listening to chapter books from a young age, so I rarely read picture books... and child 2 has few memories of all those lovely picture books that child 1 enjoyed and fondly remembers.

I feel terrible about it.