Menu

Singapore Math - Discovering Math/Dimensions Math - confusion

I need some help from someone who is further along in this program than we are.

My son is in Discovering Mathematics 1B.  I am aware that Singapore changed these books to align them with Common Core.  I bought the DM 2A and 2B textbooks ahead of time, but did not buy the teacher's guide or workbook and now I can not find them anywhere.  I guess if I want to continue on this path we will need to go into Dimensions Math level 8.  Correct?

When they made the changes to align with Common Core what changed?   Also, after Dimension 8 A/B, do we then go to Discovering Math Levels 3 and 4?  This shouldn't be this confusing, but it is!  

My biggest concern is that the method remains consistent.  My son has been using Singapore Math since 1st grade and has been very successful with it.  I don't want to switch to a completely new program.  

Can someone who is further along offer some advice or words of wisdom?  

The most pressing issue for me is that my son will finish Discovering Math 1B in about a month, so I need to order the next level now.  

DM8 is equivalent to 2, then move on to 3. There will probably be 1-2 topics in 3 that will be review because of things being rearranged, but the method of instruction is unchanged. However levels 3 and 4 are going out of print, so you may need to buy them used or from Rainbow or somewhere, and soon. Check with Star Publishing as well.

DM8 is equivalent to 2, then move on to 3. There will probably be 1-2 topics in 3 that will be review because of things being rearranged, but the method of instruction is unchanged. However levels 3 and 4 are going out of print, so you may need to buy them used or from Rainbow or somewhere, and soon. Check with Star Publishing as well.

They're not actually going out of print, Singaporemath.com had a dispute with Star Publishing. It shouldn't affect other vendors.

A few topics got switched from DM 3 down to DMCC 8 and the publisher added some topics. There was a scope & sequence chart floating around at one point- maybe this one? http://www.singaporemath.com/v/vspfiles/assets/images/sssecmath2012.pdf

Lamppost still appears to have a few copies of the old DM 2 materials: http://www.lampposthomeschool.com/math/publisher-singapore-math/singapore-discovering-mathematics/

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

After years of Saxon, we switched to Singapore Math in the 6th grade.  It was a hard transition, but so worth it.  My daughter is not "mathy" at all, after Singapore 5B-6B, her skills greatly improved.  She was able to solve the word problems quickly and with no issues.  In the beginning, the word problems took a while to solve.  With that said, we continued on with Discovering Mathmatics 7A.  I was thrilled that they were introducing algebraic concepts.  However, as I looked in 7B, there were no more algebra concepts being covered.  So basically, in 7th grade, she got introduced to Algebra, but for only three chapters.

I started looking around in Singapore...found out that they have trademarking issues, and that the Discovering Mathematics and anything related will no longer be carried by the website.  Others like Rainbow Resource now have limited availability if any.  This is as of 10/3/2014.

I love Singapore Math, but looking ahead, since we are now in the 8th grade, I don't want to be "stuck" with nothing to go on in high school.

So, after researching for a long time, we decided to go with Foerster's Algebra 1 this year.  It's working out fine.  I do miss the pictures/graphics that Singapore had, but it is a solid Algebra textbook, one that is used in honors classes in schools.  If Singapore was a little more stable, and if they had one textbook dedicated to just Algebra, I might have stayed with them.

After years of Saxon, we switched to Singapore Math in the 6th grade.  It was a hard transition, but so worth it.  My daughter is not "mathy" at all, after Singapore 5B-6B, her skills greatly improved.  She was able to solve the word problems quickly and with no issues.  In the beginning, the word problems took a while to solve.  With that said, we continued on with Discovering Mathmatics 7A.  I was thrilled that they were introducing algebraic concepts.  However, as I looked in 7B, there were no more algebra concepts being covered.  So basically, in 7th grade, she got introduced to Algebra, but for only three chapters.

I started looking around in Singapore...found out that they have trademarking issues, and that the Discovering Mathematics and anything related will no longer be carried by the website.  Others like Rainbow Resource now have limited availability if any.  This is as of 10/3/2014.

I love Singapore Math, but looking ahead, since we are now in the 8th grade, I don't want to be "stuck" with nothing to go on in high school.

So, after researching for a long time, we decided to go with Foerster's Algebra 1 this year.  It's working out fine.  I do miss the pictures/graphics that Singapore had, but it is a solid Algebra textbook, one that is used in honors classes in schools.  If Singapore was a little more stable, and if they had one textbook dedicated to just Algebra, I might have stayed with them.

Or, if you note the post above, just buy Discovering Mathematics through Star Publishing.  Levels 1--4 and Additional Mathematics can be found there.

• 4 months later...

DM8 is equivalent to 2, then move on to 3. There will probably be 1-2 topics in 3 that will be review because of things being rearranged, but the method of instruction is unchanged. However levels 3 and 4 are going out of print, so you may need to buy them used or from Rainbow or somewhere, and soon. Check with Star Publishing as well.[/quote

Jen: have you bought DM books from Star Publishing directly? How did you go about doing that? Do they sell the teacher's guide as well? I'm interested in purchasing

1. Discovering Mathematics 3b Teacher's Guide

2. Discovering Mathematics 4a textbook and teacher's guide

3. Discovering Mathematics 4b textbook and teacher's guide

Please let me know. Many thanks!!

They're not actually going out of print, Singaporemath.com had a dispute with Star Publishing. It shouldn't affect other vendors.

Jen and chiguirre: have you bought DM books from Star Publishing directly? How did you go about doing that? Do they sell the teacher's guide as well? I'm interested in purchasing

1. Discovering Mathematics 3b Teacher's Guide

2. Discovering Mathematics 4a textbook and teacher's guide

3. Discovering Mathematics 4b textbook and teacher's guide

Please let me know. Many thanks!!

• 1 month later...
Guest MasterCraft7

Can anyone please tell me if they have been successful in purchasing from Star Publishing? I am desperate. This June will begin my daughters last year of Discovering Mathematics. We have the Textbooks for 4A and 4B, we just need the Teacher's books.  If you have used DM, then you know it is impossible to switch without creating an additional year of work.

Thank you,

Dawn

Yikes.  Thanks for posting this.  My dd is going into DM level 4 next year and I had no idea this was happening.  Ugh!

eta:  I've just looked at the star publishing website, and I don't see a way to order online.  I'll be subbing in to see if anyone has ordered from them with success.

I called Star Publishing last week and was told that they don't sell the Teacher's Guides to parents.

The textbooks and workbooks do have answers to all questions; no solutions, though.

• 2 weeks later...