Menu

5 Day Schedule with Writing With Ease

kbradfie

Hi everyone. This is my first post on the Well-Trained Mind Forums. What an amazing resource it has been! 

I have a question for those of you using Writing With Ease. I will be using WWE 2 with my 2nd grader this year. We are doing a 5 day school schedule. I know that WWE is laid out for 4 days of lessons per week. I was wondering what those of you doing 5 days of school per week do on the 5th day since there is no formal WWE lesson. 

That would be a day without using WWE. You can just not do it that day. Most of our subjects are not done 5 days a week. SOTW is 2-3 days, science is 2 days, grammar, FLL, is three days, etc. About the only subjects we do 5 days a week are math and instrument practice.

You could also have that day be a 'free writing day' or creative writing if your child is so inclined. But, a second grader doesn't need either of those things.

Most schools do not have the kids doing all subject every day until the kids are older. It also give you a bit of flexibility. If you get a chance to meet friends at the park on a Friday afternoon, or go for lunch with friends or have a dentist appt etc you can still get all your work done. I try to have one 'light' day a week to make breathing room. 

Not too long ago I was reading the section of the WTM that goes through a typical day/week for each grade level.  It mentioned that one day a week the child would be writing letters.  I thought that was a great idea- letters to relatives, friends, emails, etc.