Menu

Bravewriter Homeschool Alliance

Anyone from the forums signing up for the Homeschool Alliance this week?

I'm anxiously awaiting the registration email!!!

http://coachjuliebogart.com/

This website is still in the works and isn't "live" yet. If you're interested you may have to email Julie at the Bravewriter website for more info.

I went back and forth about trying this, but then just decided to go for it. I learned so much at the Retreat and BW is quickly becoming my go-to for language arts. I think I could stand to learn a lot this year from this kind of interaction.

• Like 2

Me!!

I missed out on the retreat, and so I told my partner that I really wanted to give this a run for a couple of months and see how it works out for us. I've always said I wish I could just have Julie in my back pocket for advice - this is sorta along those lines lol

I've been stalkin my email for registration info lol.

• Like 1

I may, but have to see if it is doable.  I really need some coaching and accountability.  

Julie is inspiring! I have BW and subscribe to her emails.  I feel guilty not being able to implement much of her advice but I do save it and use some of it. 

I am in the process of purging my writing curriculum and really learning that less is more.

Me!!

I missed out on the retreat, and so I told my partner that I really wanted to give this a run for a couple of months and see how it works out for us. I've always said I wish I could just have Julie in my back pocket for advice - this is sorta along those lines lol

I've been stalkin my email for registration info lol.

I think it would be really helpful. It's a good bit of money,but I plan on doing this from Sept to next Aug. And I can cancel if it's not worth it. 

I may, but have to see if it is doable.  I really need some coaching and accountability.  

Julie is inspiring! I have BW and subscribe to her emails.  I feel guilty not being able to implement much of her advice but I do save it and use some of it. 

I am in the process of purging my writing curriculum and really learning that less is more.

I cancelled our Netflix DVD plans and the Kindle Freetime subscription to make room in the budget. That way we wouldn't miss any extra money since we had been paying for those already. 

I have been purging so much this summer and even though we're slowly getting back into our routine, I feel there's still areas I could streamline.

I think it would be really helpful. It's a good bit of money,but I plan on doing this from Sept to next Aug. And I can cancel if it's not worth it.

I cancelled our Netflix DVD plans and the Kindle Freetime subscription to make room in the budget. That way we wouldn't miss any extra money since we had been paying for those already.

I have been purging so much this summer and even though we're slowly getting back into our routine, I feel there's still areas I could streamline.

I told my partner that I easily spend twice this amount in fast food coffees every month - so I would forgo my takeout coffee to help balance the costs of the Alliance.

I'm really lookin forward to it.

• Like 1

I want to...  but I don't feel like I can justify the cost. Not because I think the cost is too much exactly... More that I feel like I have the support I need and I can't justify it in that context. If I was having a rough year or was just starting out or something I think I'd feel differently.

Though part of me does want it, just because hearing Julie talk and getting her advice is always really excellent.

Well, I thought that that is what this forum is for! Lol

I need a coach, but don't know if I'll have time for this. Lol

Looks like a great thing though.

Going to be honest. This forum and all of it's posts are visible to the general public with a Google search. So I (personally) share less. The Alliance is a private class type situation. What I and others share there will only be known to the Alliance members. There will be less "fake" and less "snark." I'm nearly positive about it. Also it's set up as a class, with readings, timestamps, discussions, rewards, and so on. It's more private and personal that a general public web forum. 

I want to...  but I don't feel like I can justify the cost. Not because I think the cost is too much exactly... More that I feel like I have the support I need and I can't justify it in that context. If I was having a rough year or was just starting out or something I think I'd feel differently.

Though part of me does want it, just because hearing Julie talk and getting her advice is always really excellent.

But ...but...but... :)I love your Bravewriter posts!

I understand what you're saying, but I signed up this morning. I think everyone needs a jump start at times. i don't think it will be just for those starting out, or those needing help. I have high hopes for it being more. 

Just do it!!! You'll have till October 31st to get the special start price!!!

• Like 2

Going to be honest. This forum and all of it's posts are visible to the general public with a Google search. So I (personally) share less. The Alliance is a private class type situation. What I and others share there will only be known to the Alliance members. There will be less "fake" and less "snark." I'm nearly positive about it. Also it's set up as a class, with readings, timestamps, discussions, rewards, and so on. It's more private and personal that a general public web forum.

But ...but...but... :)I love your Bravewriter posts!

I understand what you're saying, but I signed up this morning. I think everyone needs a jump start at times. i don't think it will be just for those starting out, or those needing help. I have high hopes for it being more.

Just do it!!! You'll have till October 31st to get the special start price!!!

Ha! I thought the same thing when I just read Farrars post lol. Not to sound like a creepy Internet stalker but I LOVE reading farrars bw posts! It was some of her posts here and on the secular site that made me even look at Bravewriter initially.

And I agree that this will not just be for noobs like me :)

• Like 2

I actually came here this afternoon to see if anyone here were talking about this yet. It sounds so very good, but I'm a bit hesitant. Perhaps I'll sign up, then cancel if it either isn't working for me or (more realistically) if I'm not using it to its potential. I'd love to hear others' impressions after the Alliance goes live.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Bumping this thread...

I'm really considering joining the Alliance. Money is very tight for us, but I have almost no IRL support (homeschooling or otherwise) so I think this might get my head in the right place to start our school year.

I would love to hear experiences--good, bad, other. Has it been useful to you, and if so, in what ways? I'm not sure if it matters, but I don't use BW materials, however, I do think I have a similar educational style/ mindset.

Thanks!

I'm recently on there and haven't done much. Just poking around for now. But it's definitely different from being on a forum. There's a lot there. You definitely don't need to be doing BW to get a lot out of it. The focus is really on you, the parent, and on bringing all the elements of your life together, on being reflective about everything - your schooling, your friendships, your family, your household, your creativity.

• Like 2

Thanks for the reply @Farrar. I love the idea of being more thoughtful about all the whats/whys/hows for teaching and integrating that with other areas of my life. I do have a tendency to overthink, though, and not bring my ideas to fruition. So I'm afraid I'll join and then spin my wheels. Are there opportunities (and possibly accountability) for practical application?

• 2 weeks later...

Farrar!!!! I don't post here on WTM much any longer, so I'm only just now seeing this. So glad you joined up! 

I started out the year thinking I may not like the Alliance, but as the year has gone on, I really truly love it. It is not quite like any thing else. A lot of what members are getting out of it may be invisible to other members. There's a lot of reflection, reading, journaling, and activity I do as an Alliance member that is not posted or shared in the spaces available for that. I'm sure it is the same for others. 

I have a real burning passion for the homeschooling lifestyle again that Julie has helped ignite. I used to just think in terms of xyz curricula and lesson plans and activities to get through. I've changed so much this year---in my personal life, in my relationships with my family and friends, in my parenting, in my perspective about homeschooing, in my own inner spirituality and self awareness. I attribute a lot of that to Julie and the readings and discussions on the Alliance. 

It's not a space for random trivial conversation. There's no trolling. No one- up man-ships (did I just make up a word?), no competition or comparisons or arrogance among the members who post. It's not set up as a forum. It's set up as an online classroom of sorts.And there's a feeling of real support and encouragement among the members. There's none of this "here's what you should do, I know best" kind of idea. Members aren't really posting advice and prescriptives and pats on the back for themselves, they're being REAL. It's so refreshing.  As far as price, you can cancel at any time of course. But I've found that you get your money's worth in direct proportion to how seriously you take it and learn how to apply it to your specific experiences. It's not a magic Bravewriter bullet.Or as simple as opening up a curriculum manual and following the plan etc.  It can be real work for yourself if you dig deep and really get to the heart of what Julie is saying. And she is there to help. I can ask nearly anything and she will be there to support and encourage. 

I recommend it. It's personal and authentic and honest in ways an open forum really can't be. 

• Like 9

I have a real burning passion for the homeschooling lifestyle again that Julie has helped ignite. I used to just think in terms of xyz curricula and lesson plans and activities to get through. I've changed so much this year---in my personal life, in my relationships with my family and friends, in my parenting, in my perspective about homeschooing, in my own inner spirituality and self awareness. I attribute a lot of that to Julie and the readings and discussions on the Alliance.

Wow! What you shared in this paragraph is exactly the experience I'm seeking. Thank you for so much for your entire response.

• Like 3

I just saw this is a really old post, but I was wondering if anyone else wants to report back?

I have love BW from the moment I read TWJ.  I have several of the other products, but don't use them really.  I felt like TWJ was a big philosophical jumping off point for me, and it has shaped our schooling.  I want even more of the BW lifestyle, and I had not seen this Alliance thing until this thread.  

SO TEMPTING!!!  

What about the one on one coaching?  Anyone tried that?  

I like that it's month to month as well...  

• 1 month later...

I really want to do this.  I just finished The Writer's Jungle, and I loved her webinar for TWTM conference.  I just started watching her periscope from yesterday about "The Enchanted Homeschool."  I'm hooked! :laugh:   I need to justify this cost to myself somehow!

Here's a link to the Enchanted Homeschool, http://blog.bravewriter.com/2015/09/15/the-enchanted-education/

• Like 2

I agree with Walking Iris. I joined the alliance for a few months but had to drop it because of medical chaos in out home causing me not to have time for it.

The alliance was for me - a time of reflections and reigniting fires. To get your money's worth, you have to invest some time in it, you don't have to actually post anything if you don't want. It's time to read, reflect, do, consider, etc. I may have to join back up before long.

• Like 3

I really love the idea, but I find the format terrible! I am not on regularly because the format is so off-putting for me. I think I am spoiled by these forums, and I want it to be as easy to use. The content is very rich. Like other's have said, you definitely need to invest yourself to get the most out of it. 

I really love the idea, but I find the format terrible! I am not on regularly because the format is so off-putting for me. I think I am spoiled by these forums, and I want it to be as easy to use. The content is very rich. Like other's have said, you definitely need to invest yourself to get the most out of it. 

:iagree:

The information does seem good, it seems like there is a lot to explore, but the format is terrible.  I find myself not wanting to go and work on anything because the layout is so bizarre and confusing.  I am ending my membership after two months, because I am just not using it like I should.  It's a real shame, because I am a HUGE BW fan.  :-(  But I don't want to continue to pay for something that I can stand using.  lol.

• Like 2

:iagree:

The information does seem good, it seems like there is a lot to explore, but the format is terrible.  I find myself not wanting to go and work on anything because the layout is so bizarre and confusing.  I am ending my membership after two months, because I am just not using it like I should.  It's a real shame, because I am a HUGE BW fan.  :-(  But I don't want to continue to pay for something that I can stand using.  lol.

:( 

I find it easy to use personally. But I understand your point. 

• 3 months later...

I joined for a few months but realized I already do most of the stuff she encourages people to do. For example, I looked at the recent challenges - and we'd done them all without being part of the alliance. The readings were along the lines of things I already read. I didn't feel that it challenged me. We're a really active and interested family. We don't need someone to tell us to be active and interested. One example was to hold an exotic animal - we'd been to the zoo that month and gone to a reptile show the month before where there was a 20' snake, a chance to hold 10 snakes for a photo, and an area to sit with a bunch of tortoises. The kids had also gone to a bug show and handled the exotic bugs. There were challenges regarding being outside - but we'd just been camping multiple times during the summer and had been hiking every other week with family friends. If you tend towards a super-academic-book-based curriculum and need someone to shake things up for you, it might be a good fit. But if you already tend to treat all of life as a chance to explore, it won't be so helpful.

The only change I made from being part of it was to write a journal entry about our homeschool at the end of every month.

Emily

Edited by EmilyGF
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I think I'm going to join. I feel like I'm right on the edge of pulling the lifestyle stuff all together and maybe this would push me over the edge (in a good way).

I'm brand new to BW, haven't even finished TWJ but we started this year doing morning basket type stuff and doing a lot of BW things without realizing it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

bumping again.. Just got an email about The Homeschoolers Alliance and was wondering if it is worth the money?  Anyone?

I have mixed feelings about it.  I was a member for almost a year.  I loved the "lessons" Julie provides, and she puts a lot of work into them.  I hate the user interface.  The posts are organized in a weird way. 

As far as being worth the money, it is if you actively participate.  There is a lot of information and Julie (and Stephanie) are very responsive.  Julie says she wants it to feel like a graduate class for home schoolers, and I think she hits the mark.

I got that email today too and am contemplating re-joining.  I stopped my membership in January because I had too much stuff going on to participate enough to feel like it was a good use of the homeschooling budget.

I think one of the wonderful things about the Alliance is that you can come and go at will.  If you have ever considered it, then the summer is the time to try it when you have a little bit more time.  When you join, you have access to all the previous month's content.  You could really do a deep dive on a couple of the topics that are of most interest to you and then decide if it is something that is a good fit for you on a monthly basis.  I love The Alliance, but it is definitely a commitment of time for me to really feel like I am getting my money's worth.  

• 2 weeks later...

I've been thinking about it. I've been struggling a little with loneliness and perhaps with unrealistic expectations for our homeschool that mostly have to do with balance (some days too academic, some days not enough). I suspect I would really just be using it for mom support and I wonder if it's a good price for that.