Menu

Math Relief not lined up with ACT math? Help, please!

So my son, who otherwise did pretty well on his ACT, told me that his Math Relief Algebra II (from Keyboard Enterprises) lessons didn't help him at all on his ACT math section -- he says he didn't see any Algebra problems on that section that resembled anything he had done w/ Math Relief.  Has anyone else had this problem with Math Relief?  I looked at the copyrights on the discs and they are a combo of 1992 and 2005. 

I have a daughter who is ready for Algebra II and I'm now doubting whether I will actually use my son's Math Relief discs for her -- perhaps the ACT math has changed too much since 2005 ( or 1992!).  Other recommendations/experiences with curriculum used to prepare for ACT math will be very helpful.  Thank you!

Desiree

Were there unfamiliar algebraic questions for him? Or did he just not recognize the stuff from algebra 2 specifically?

Did he do an ACT prep book? It is generally a good idea to get accustomed to the format, and you should be able to get a current book from the library. I also found a free online test with some google-fu a while back but I didn't bookmark it.

Were there unfamiliar algebraic questions for him? Or did he just not recognize the stuff from algebra 2 specifically?

Did he do an ACT prep book? It is generally a good idea to get accustomed to the format, and you should be able to get a current book from the library. I also found a free online test with some google-fu a while back but I didn't bookmark it.

He said none of the algebra questions resembled anything he did in Math Relief...Yes, he did do an ACT prep book but he didn't mention the math in it being especially problematic or unfamiliar.

Thanks for your response; I'll look up a free ACT test on google.

My son used Math Relief and did very well on the math testing, I think his percentile was in the 90s, I'll edit if I get a chance to check. (see below)

I think the key is that your son expected to see "Algebra problems on that section that resembled" his school problems.  These tests are not designed to look just like a high school assignment.  Using Math Relief, the student should be able to manipulate an algebra problem, that is the key.  A problem might involve moving everything but the unknown to one side of the problem, perhaps create a simple problem using an unknown out of a question, but the student should be able to keep track of an algebra problem. 

One thing that helped my son with testing was to participate in a little "math team" and the coach said the most important thing was to realize and get used to answering questions that didn't come straight out of a textbook assignment.  He was speaking to lots of Saxon users and even public school students, and apparently this is a transition for all of them.  I'm not certain, but I'd guess the ACT is designed to look different than the textbook?

The coach said things like knowing which problems were too hard and needed a guess and move on, which problems could be done quickly with guess-and-check, and which you know how to solve easily are skills as important as the math skills.  I guess you could say it's got a logic component in there.

Did you use the ACT test prep booklet, or the ACT test prep questions from their website?  There are also test prep books at libraries that give cues to look for, and even free videos and math competition questions online.

But the key to having got a lot out of Math Relief is whether he feels comfortable using algebra, rather than recognizing specific types of problems.

HTH,

Julie

ETA: He got a 31 in 11th grade, which said it was 96th percentile.  (Note that he got a worse score of 29 in 12th grade - maybe because it was further away from his Math Relief course LOL but he also just had a generally bad 12th grade year - so anyways, we deleted that score, but it still said the 93rd percentile.)