Menu

For those enrolled in an AoPS class, does your child do all the summary problems too?

Yes, do.  It isn't critical to get the challenges correct -- even if you just think about them and look at the solutions, you'll gain value from those sets.  AoPS builds upon the foundations laid in those two problem sets, so it is important to give it some effort.

From a purely "pre-algebra" perspective, they aren't critical if you are using Alcumus to enrich.  But, they form the basis for the rest of pre-algebra and algebra.  Without that background, you will always be "missing something," and certainly won't be getting the benefit of using AoPS over another curriculum.

Dd has taken the Intro to Number Theory and Geometry classes. For those classes, none of the book problems are assigned--it sounds like PreAlgebra is different according to the OP. However, you cannot do the problem set and Alcumus assignments without working your way through the book. Sometimes dd does all of the section problems plus all the review and challenge problems. Sometimes if she grasps the concept right away, she'll do a few section/review problems then all the challenge problems.

She has discovered that some of the weekly problem set problems are much more difficult than the book challenge problems.

Also remember, some AoPS students have already taken the corresponding class in their schools.

Sometimes dd does all of the section problems plus all the review and challenge problems. Sometimes if she grasps the concept right away, she'll do a few section/review problems then all the challenge problems.

This is a good idea. She's finding concepts easy right now, but I'm still making her do everything.... maybe that's unnecessary....

If your child is taking the online class as the OP's son is doing, then he/she will be assigned *plenty* of weekly problems and also occasional challenge sets to write up for grading. They're not necessarily the same problems as those in the text (some might be even more difficult than the text challengers), but they accomplish the same purpose. Keeping up with all of the online class assignments is more than sufficient!

On the other hand, a child working through an AoPS text on his/her own at home should definitely spend time on the end of chapter review and challenge problems. I have the kids I teach attempt them all, not expecting that they'll solve each and every challenger. Usually we spend 2-3 days on those problem sets. I circle the problems that they aren't able to solve the first time through. Sometimes we read through the solution together & sometimes I save the toughies to revisit in the future. What looks difficult today might be easier after they internalize more of the material.

She has discovered that some of the weekly problem set problems are much more difficult than the book challenge problems.

I admit, I'm nervous about this but I didn't tell dd :).  She should start the geometry book when school starts, on Wednesday, though the class isn't until next month.

Luckymama,

Does your daughter do all the videos and master Alcumus for each chapter?

Thanks!

She only watched a few of the PreAlgebra videos but none of the others. She finds RR to be funny, but she doesn't like the teaching aspect of the videos. She's one of those kids who likes to figure out problems all by herself :)

She does master Alcumus for every single chapter she does. In fact, she has to go back to some Alg 1 and preA topics to turn them "blue" after that software upgrade pushed them back down (her previously passed topics now need mastering) :lol:

She only watched a few of the PreAlgebra videos but none of the others. She finds RR to be funny, but she doesn't like the teaching aspect of the videos. She's one of those kids who likes to figure out problems all by herself :)

We watch them after we do the chapter, mostly for fun. We sometimes watch one or two before we start the challenge problems for a laugh and to steady our nerves before diving in.... ;)   By that point they are just a fun review.

She does master Alcumus for every single chapter she does. In fact, she has to go back to some Alg 1 and preA topics to turn them "blue" after that software upgrade pushed them back down (her previously passed topics now need mastering) :lol:

:svengo:     I'm pretty sure I'll now have nightmares...thanks....

;)