Menu

I am such a canning nimrod!

kfeusse

I just canned 6 quarts of pickles....but it wasn't until after I pulled them from the hot waterbath that I realized I forgot the dill and garlic.

I am pretty certain that if I reprocess them they will be soggy, right?  The brine has the flavor of pickling spice...but I don't know how that alone will make them taste.

is there anything I can do??

The pickles will still be pickles, they just won't be dill pickles. Leave them be and enjoy, they're safe to eat. The strawberry jam wouldn't have been without the lemon juice, though, because you need the extra acidity.

I always do something like that with every big canning session, so you're not a nimrod, just a normal canner.

It's so empowering to be able to say, "I can!" even if we do it imperfectly. ;)

Everyone makes mistakes.  I've been canning for 5-6 years now, and I always make a mistake or two.

DH got everything ready for me to can beans when I came home from "mom taxi" duty.  He gets nervous about the pressure canner, so he had everything ready and boiling.  I just had to put in the beans, cap them, and get the pressure cooker going.

What I didn't know is that he had been boiling the jar lids for an hour.  So three of the jars didn't "pop" because the adhesive didn't stick.  Oh well.  Lots of bean dishes this week.

Does cold canning mean it must then be stored in a freezer? Or will it be shelf stable? For the record, I am a canning wanna-be but haven't gotten brave enough to try it yet. I don't want to have to store things in the freezer.

and then I have this issue....I have just started canning tomoatoes too...sauce mostly...and I can't, yet, bring myself to use one of the few jars I have...I wanted to make spaghetti tonight, but I don't want to take one of m y newly canned jars of sauce off the shelf...I guess I feel like I will use them all up before fall even hits....silly, I know...someone tell me to "knock it off and use the sauce!!!" :)

My silly issue is that I seem to go directly from worrying about whether or not we're going to have enough food to worrying about whether we're going to have enough canning jars without ever, even briefly, stopping at "not worrying". ;)

NEprairiemom, I'm in the same space. One kid wants me to make another batch of pickled okra and the other wants me to open a jar of pickled beets and those are only mutually exclusive choices in the absurdity of my own mind.

and then I have this issue....I have just started canning tomoatoes too...sauce mostly...and I can't, yet, bring myself to use one of the few jars I have...I wanted to make spaghetti tonight, but I don't want to take one of m y newly canned jars of sauce off the shelf...I guess I feel like I will use them all up before fall even hits....silly, I know...someone tell me to "knock it off and use the sauce!!!" :)

I totally do this when I can apple sauce and jam!

Does cold canning mean it must then be stored in a freezer? Or will it be shelf stable? For the record, I am a canning wanna-be but haven't gotten brave enough to try it yet. I don't want to have to store things in the freezer.

No. Cold packing means you don't cook first. For fermenting, there's no heat involved at all.  They are shelf stable.  My last batch is still sitting on top of my fridge. This little book was published in 1920, before refrigeration.

I used up my first two batches of pickles in a month. It was ridiculous. 15 quarts!

No. Cold packing means you don't cook first. For fermenting, there's no heat involved at all. They are shelf stable. My last batch is still sitting on top of my fridge. This little book was published in 1920, before refrigeration.

Thanks for clarifying. I have heard women say they are making jelly or "canning" vegetables, only to find out that they are truly blanching or cooking the stuff and then packing it in freezer cartons and storing it in the freezer. I scratch my head over that being called canning.

Thanks for clarifying. I have heard women say they are making jelly or "canning" vegetables, only to find out that they are truly blanching or cooking the stuff and then packing it in freezer cartons and storing it in the freezer. I scratch my head over that being called canning.

That's not canning. That's freezing. 

When I make freezer jelly, I say "I'm making jelly." Some people will assume it's canning, but it's not, even though I use canning jars. When I give it away, I'm always clear that it is not sealed.