Menu

Does anyone NOT like AAR?

I bought three levels of AAR (for three different kids) and I'm not liking it. It's a fine program. I just feel like it's overkill for what we need. I do have one dyslexic and I'm trying to decide if I should keep it for her or go back to Abecedarian. I just don't know that I need all the hand holding. I really want to like it. I just don't love it. Am I alone?

me! I don't like it! I found it to be a very cumbersome program and I hate spending money on a program I won't use as designed so I had trouble throwing out parts when I could do just as well with a simpler, cheaper program. 

If you're looking for permission to ditch the program, then by all means, ditch it! If you feel like it's working for your one daughter, then keep it! The best part of homeschooling, to me, is the ability to change what you are doing if it's not working... that said, it's probably also one of the hardest things about homeschooling because there are SOooooo many choices!!

We like it, but I find we just don't really use the tiles.  We finished AAR1 and starting AAR2.  My DD is a kinesthetic learner and loves to read but would rather build words writing them on the white board.  She LOVES white board work, for anything.  It is where she tinkers in her mind and talks things out, if that makes sense.  She does like the AAR stories and REALLY likes the activities book.  With that said, I picked up a copy of How to Teach Your Child in 100 Easy Lessons, just to check it out.  Totally different teaching style for reading and she LOVES that one too.  She loves the reading part and the Q&A for reading comprehension.  Honestly, I think she just likes to talk.  Actually, I KNOW she likes to talk!  :willy_nilly:

I actually chose not to use it precisely because it was overkill. I read somewhere along the way to start simply and then move to more robust programs if the child needed it. It helped validate my decision not to use a reading program at all for my daughter; she didn't need one.

I do, however, use AAS and like it. Though I modify it so much to simplify that it doesn't look much like AAS anymore.

I do like AAR, but have modified it as well for my older DS.  We don't use the readers for him.  We find Sonlight readers to be more engaging, so whenever we're to read a story from the AAR readers, we just read the next Sonlight book.  He doesn't like the tiles either, so I pretty much just use them for the syllable division stuff and use the dry erase board for everything else. 

I'm following the program as written for DS 4 though, until he complains.....but he's the type that may be just fine with it as written.

Thanks everyone! I've decided to sell it and go back to a more simplified program. My daughter does like to write on a whiteboard so we'll continue that. I also plan to keep

AAS, although I tweak it a lot too. I can use more hand holding trying to teach spelling to a dyslexic child.

Thanks everyone! I've decided to sell it and go back to a more simplified program. My daughter does like to write on a whiteboard so we'll continue that. I also plan to keep

AAS, although I tweak it a lot too. I can use more hand holding trying to teach spelling to a dyslexic child.

Can i ask which program you decided to go back to?