Menu

Wok recommendation?

momee

Flat bottom or round bottom?

I damage quite a few tefal coated one because of the high heat of frying in a wok. I find flat easier for stir fry and round bottom for deep frying. I have a gas stove.

I have the La Gourmet and WMF stainless steel non-coated ones.

I have a carbon steel wok that I bought in a Chinatown restaurant supply store.  However, Cook's Illustrated once ran a test comparing woks and traditional skillets for stir-frying on a Western stove and concluded that skillets work better.   And indeed, I have found that unless I'm cooking a very small amount, I almost always get a better sear in my12-inch cast-iron skillet.  

That said, I keep trying to convince DH to drill bigger holes in our gas cooktop, like they do in Chinese restaurants, so I can get the super-hot flames climbing up the wok.  Oddly, he keeps vetoing the idea, some nonsense about fire safety .....

I have a carbon steel wok that I bought in a Chinatown restaurant supply store. However, Cook's Illustrated once ran a test comparing woks and traditional skillets for stir-frying on a Western stove and concluded that skillets work better. And indeed, I have found that unless I'm cooking a very small amount, I almost always get a better sear in my12-inch cast-iron skillet.

That said, I keep trying to convince DH to drill bigger holes in our gas cooktop, like they do in Chinese restaurants, so I can get the super-hot flames climbing up the wok. Oddly, he keeps vetoing the idea, some nonsense about fire safety .....

Ya know . . . our local Chinese restaurant recently shut down for a month because of a kitchen fire. I'm with your DH on this one.