Menu

Dr. Hive: Dd has poison ivy--ideas?

Chris in VA

Dd pulled weeds in the backyard a few days ago and broke out with PI.

It's mostly on her arm. Not terrible, but calomine seems to burn. She's swollen, too. She's been washing with Dawn to get the oil off, then putting on calomine--but last night we stopped the cal. Anything else she can use? (And I'll have her wash with a milder soap--I had just heard Dawn was good for the first few days.) We are leaving it uncovered--it's not weeping, just burny and itchy. She's not scratching--good self-control, that one!

Haha--no we aren't, but maybe I can get a few days at the beach that way... :laugh:

I do find the ocean extremely healing.

See, you have proof now that you "need" a beach vacation. It's a matter of health: your daughter's physical and your mental? :) 

Perhaps, a very salted bath would replicate the ocean, I don't know. My mom is highly allergic to poison oak, and lives in CA and if she gets it, she has to get a steroid shot, but a few days of dipping in the ocean also help her significantly. And my mom is not one to usually go in public in her swimsuit, haha.

Super duper hot water.  As hot as you can get without scalding - right from the tap.

It will make it itch like *crazy* when the hot water's on it, but let it pour over it as long as she can stand it. 

Then, hours of relief.  Better than any itch cream.  I think it makes all the histamines release at once, then it takes them a while to build back up.  Then, repeat.  It's like magic.  Really.  Try it.

I had this problem all last month and spent it on steroids.  No help with over the counter remedies.  It was brutal and had to see the doctor.   :grouphug:  to your dd. 

My poor Dd got it all over her face and there was nothing to do but hit it fast and hard with the steroids.  They made her crazy, but I preferred dealing with a steroid freak out as opposed to her tearing up her poor cheeks and running the risk of it spreading to her eyes.

Super duper hot water.  As hot as you can get without scalding - right from the tap.

It will make it itch like *crazy* when the hot water's on it, but let it pour over it as long as she can stand it. 

Then, hours of relief.  Better than any itch cream.  I think it makes all the histamines release at once, then it takes them a while to build back up.  Then, repeat.  It's like magic.  Really.  Try it.

I've done this. YES!

I've also set my rash directly on the hot leather of a car that's been closed up in the summer sun. Made a huge difference,

Super duper hot water. As hot as you can get without scalding - right from the tap.

Then, hours of relief. Better than any itch cream. I think it makes all the histamines release at once, then it takes them a while to build back up. Then, repeat. It's like magic. Really. Try it.

That's what we do here for poison oak. It is awesomely effective. Hair dryers and hot water bottles work too. It's the heat. That and steroids when it's really bad.

I've found that tea tree oil soap dries it out very fast if I use it multiple times per day, and then I put steroid cream on when it's dry. The steroid cream helps a lot with that tingling nerve sensation that stays even as the rash is drying up. I do anything to avoid oral steroids--they make me feel horrible.

My dh has used an over the counter treatment called Zanfel.  It did help him a lot.  He is pretty allergic, though, and usually needs a steroid shot to recover.

This is the only one that works for me. And I am the queen of poison ivy - 5 times already this summer, lol.  It is super expensive, but super effective if you get it on in time.

Otherwise I just do the hot-water-histamine-flush thing and NO scratching.

Georgia (who once got poison ivy in the dead of winter in New England... :glare: )