Menu

How do they take notes in college?

I want to prepare my middle school son for note taking and wonder if it's different now than when I was in college.  I just used a pen and paper, and wrote in cursive for speed.   Do they still do it that way or do they use technology and typing? 

I'm teaching my son to type because he has difficulty with writing, but if they can only take notes by writing, it would make sense to also focus on cursive. 

While some students take notes with technology, my experience is students who write their notes do best in my classes.  I do teach economics (which has lots of graphs) and finance (lots of numbers and equations) that I think are difficult to take  notes with.  

Just so you know, the majority of students don't take notes in the class that I teach.  All of the PowerPoints and assignments are posted in the course management system. 

Is that right though?  No, it is not.  I've seen over and over that those who take notes do much better in the long run.  They're also more engaged by far.  My oldest took his first dual enrollment course this summer from another professor in my department, and I told him to takes notes if for no other reason than to stay awake.  He said that was about the only reason why though because the course was based primarily on online quizzes, discussion posts, exercises done as homework, and exams based on the quizzes.  He got nearly the maximum number of points without ever looking at his notes after he took them.  Really.

I think that it is good skill, but taking notes isn't the big deal that it once was.

I teach at a local college and in my undergraduate biology classes, the vast majority of students roll old school with pen and paper; maybe 1 in 20 use an electronic device to take notes and a few never take notes.  I've found the students who se the electronic devices generally do not do as well in the class, but I am not sure why.

Almost all of my students take notes by hand on paper. I teach physics, in involves a  lot of equations and graphs, and typing would not be useful.

I anticipate that with the new tablet computers becoming more widespread, more students will take notes with a  stylus on a tablet in the future.

Some of my DD's instructors did not allow any computers in class because they are mostly a distraction.

ETA: Even if notes are posted, working by hand through a problem is completely different and much more effective than looking at somebody's posted solution. Thus, I do not include example problems in my powerpoint slides, but work them on the board to force students to take notes.

Can I ask what those of you who are professors do for students who have handwriting LDs? I guess as a mom of a diagnosed dysgraphic I find this whole conversation disheartening. We have done years of OT, but the muscles in my son's hand are such that he will likely never be able to write fast enough to take lecture notes. Do you all let such students have your notes or use laptops/tablets for note taking in your classes?

We have done years of OT, but the muscles in my son's hand are such that he will likely never be able to write fast enough to take lecture notes.

There is a "disability services" office in community colleges and colleges. Students apply for accommodations there.

There is also accommodations for written exams to think about.

Below is quoted from California's community colleges chancellor office

"Examples of services available through DSPS that are over and above those regularly offered by the college would be test-taking facilitation, assessment for learning disabilities, specialized counseling, interpreter services for hearing-impaired or deaf students, mobility assistance, note taker services, reader services, speech services, transcription services, transportation, specialized tutoring, access to adaptive equipment, job development/placement, registration assistance, special parking and specialized instruction."

Can I ask what those of you who are professors do for students who have handwriting LDs? I guess as a mom of a diagnosed dysgraphic I find this whole conversation disheartening. We have done years of OT, but the muscles in my son's hand are such that he will likely never be able to write fast enough to take lecture notes. Do you all let such students have your notes or use laptops/tablets for note taking in your classes?

Not a professor, but I've been doing lots of research on this for my dyslexic, dysgraphic, ld daughter. I've found that the pp are right, time and again science proves that students retain more with the motor movement of handwritten notes, even if they never look at those notes again. I recently wrote about alternative note-taking strategies: http://www.libertyhillhouse.com/2014/07/22/alternative-note-taking-for-dyslexics/ We are currently testing out a smart pen (livescribe) and I think that may be the best solution for her, but there are many other alternatives out there.

I do not have any restrictions on note-taking methods; students can make cuneiform tablets of my class if that's what floats their boat, so computers/tablets are OK by me.  I just made the observation that those students who use technology tend to do poorly.  But that is just an observation, not a scientific analysis, and I have no idea why that is so.  For my written tests, a student with a documented disability would get whatever disability accommodations the college deems necessary (so, for example, typing an exam with extended time in the testing center).

In the bulk of classes I have taken at the university in recent years, laptops, etc. are strongly discouraged by professors. They much prefer students to use paper and pen/pencil, as there can be issues with laptops/other (Facebook, and so on). However, accomodations can be made (as noted above in Arcadia's post) for students that have the need for typing rather than writing.

Recording lectures was par for the course years ago when I went to college at William and Mary (90s). I can't imagine it has changed but if it has, why?

Below is quoted from W & M. Seems to be permission have to be granted.

Ă¢â‚¬Å“Students who cannot take notes or who have difficulty getting adequate notes because of their disability may find tape recorded lectures or peer note takers helpful. If audio- and/or videotaping a class is determined reasonable, the professor must permit such taping or be prepared to offer a satisfactory alternative. Faculty also might assist by providing lecture outlines."

Teach typing too. He would need it for submitting typed assignments. Some lecturers might want assignments typed and emailed to them.

Yes, thanks!  That is what we are working on now because he has always struggled with handwriting.  I was going to focus on typing over handwriting but now it looks like I should have him work on both.   These responses have been really helpful!

I don't mind if students record my lectures, but it is very time-consuming for students to re-sit through that lecture; it's just not that efficient of a way to learn the material. 

At the college where I teach, it is left up to individual instructors whether or not you can use laptops in class or record.  Most instructors have no issues with laptops/tablets.  Several instructors in my department have a policy forbidding recording of their lectures, and that was because of an incident several years ago when a student altered a recording to make it seem as if the professor had made a nasty and racist comment.  Said student then went to the dean and tried to get the professor fired, but in the end, several students came to her defense and the college was able to determine the recording had been altered.  Since then, several professors are recording-shy. 

Recording lectures was par for the course years ago when I went to college at William and Mary (90s). I can't imagine it has changed but if it has, why?

A student who's diagnosed as dysgraphic may also be able to get notes provided for them in a class where typing them is not feasible. Usually, the way this works is Disability Services will hire someone with good attendance and neat handwriting to take notes for the student in question.

This is not a given and the quality of student note-takers varies, but it is a frequent possibility.

A student with a disability is entitled to accommodations. He would present documentation about his diagnosis to the office of Disability Services of the college, and they would generate a letter to his instructors, informing them what accommodations the student needs (without disclosing the diagnosis).

For a student with handwriting disability, the accommodation would be permission to use a computer, or permission to record the lecture, or in sever cases he would be given a note taker, i.e. another student who would take notes for him.

Because in the 90s, there was no way for students to disseminate the recordings to the entire word via the internet.

Since anything that is recorded nowadays can very easily be made public, it is understandable that instructors want to be asked for permission and want to have a chance to stipulate conditions under which lectures can be recorded.

I don't mind students who are enrolled recording class for their own private educational use - but I surely mind ending up on youtube without having been asked.

A student with a disability is entitled to accommodations. He would present documentation about his diagnosis to the office of Disability Services of the college, and they would generate a letter to his instructors, informing them what accommodations the student needs (without disclosing the diagnosis).

For a student with handwriting disability, the accommodation would be permission to use a computer, or permission to record the lecture, or in sever cases he would be given a note taker, i.e. another student who would take notes for him.

Another common accommodation is a copy of the class notes from the professor. I had/have a 504 for note taking and testing due to motor skills, and my personal preference is

1) permission to type (except for math/science classes)

2) permission to record with a copy of notes from a professor or classmate (it is very, very slow to go through a recording and take notes myself, but if I have an outline to fill in and just add, it speeds things up)

3) copy of notes before class only (I can fill in some of the gaps, but often miss some)

4)copy of the notes after class only (there had better be a good textbook, because often the notes are almost useless)

The funny thing is that I keep getting elected secretary in different organizations because I bring my notebook PC almost everywhere and am pretty good at typing notes. It's definitely a learned skill, and different from being able to write. I have been working on teaching my DD to take notes pretty much since she started learning to write (church sermons were a good place to start) because it is a difficult skill to not have.

I will also add-in my experience, it is next to impossible to get a good recording of a lecture without the active cooperation of the professor-ideally, the professor is mic'd directly for recording purposes and takes the microphone to the student wh is speaking when questions are asked, or repeats the question for the microphone. Otherwise, you just end up missing too much. For math classes, especially, an audio recording is almost useless because you need what the prof was writing on the board as they talked (and if the professor talks while writing on the board and isn't mic'd, often the recording will become incomprehensible at that point).

Even in the early '90s, I only had a few professors who embraced being recorded and who actively cooperated in the process. I suspect that's even more the case now.

A large number of classes at the university here have lectures recorded (audio plus sides) that the students registered in that class can access. The particular sections are marked in the online catalog so students know ahead of time if the class has the option.

My kids take notes on paper. Ds then types his notes into his laptop and uploads them to google docs. Dd likes to fill binders and binders :)

Start a "paper trail" now, of a formal diagnosis, while your student is still in the elementary/middle/high school years, and keep records of any treatments and additional formal medical progress. This allows you to apply for special accommodations and helps in high school when it comes time for things like SAT/ACT testing -- AND for special accommodations and helps in college. Formal diagnosis sometimes allows you FREE access to those disability services that Arcadia mentioned in her post above.

That may be the ability to use a computer or pad when an instructor does not normally allow it, special access to instructor lecture notes, or it may be the use of an official note-taker. One year when I was in college, I worked as a note-taker for sight-impaired students, attending the classes with them and taking notes for them.

You might also look into trying alternate note-taking methods with your DS, such as mind mapping, or visual note-taking, which can reduce the amount of physical writing by helping the student learn how to focus on listening for key points and only writing (or drawing) the essential parts of a lecture, and how they are connected. (NOTE: these techniques are limited in usefulness only to some types of lectures -- these methods absolutely will NOT work for Math or Sciences where equations, problems and proofs must be written out step-by-step.) 

See short videos and read more about mind mapping: here(video), here, here, and here. Here's a software based on the concept. See an example of a younger child's picture note-taking (or visual note-taking) here.

BEST of luck! Warmly, Lori D.

I want to prepare my middle school son for note taking and wonder if it's different now than when I was in college.  I just used a pen and paper, and wrote in cursive for speed.   Do they still do it that way or do they use technology and typing? 

I'm teaching my son to type because he has difficulty with writing, but if they can only take notes by writing, it would make sense to also focus on cursive. 

Note taking is a skill that can be improved with practice, and I highly recommend practicing note taking sometime before they go off to college.  I think a lot of this skill is independent of whether you are typing or writing, I knew lots of people who could write fast, but took terrible notes.

I find the Teaching Company lectures excellent practice for notetaking at home.

I would absolutely teach him to take notes by hand. Let him use cursive or print or a morphed partially connected print - basically, whatever is fastest for him. Cursive slows ME down, so I took notes in print and never had a problem keeping up in college. Cursive vs print being faster is entirely individual, so don't assume that cursive will be faster for him just because it was for you. Teach cursive and let him figure out which one is fastest for him.

One thought RE notes and writing: I actually took a short-hand class in community college, and have found it invaluable for fast note-taking in college and at lectures.  I prefer to read my notes written longhand, though, since I'm not super at short-hand and don't read it easily; in courses where I've needed to use it I often re-write the notes. 

I'm coming back to this after some thought ...

Regarding the information on this thread, that hand-taking of notes results in better retention than typing: here's a Scientific American article that seems to summarize this research nicely.  The take-home message is that there are two possible mechanisms at work here:

1.  Students who type take notes that are much more "verbatim" and much less condensed & summarized than their hand-writing peers.  This is in studies where students were instructed what sort of note to take -- ie, typed versus handwritten -- and not just looking at what students did on their own.  Study authors found that when they instructed the typing students to NOT take verbatim notes, they still did -- they were unable (?) to type extracts/summaries.  The authors suspect that the cognitive effort involved in summarizing is a key element in improved retention.   Perhaps the main element. 

2.  Looking at handwritten notes may provide a more-contextual recall when studying -- that is, notes have a particular visual look that is distinctive to those notes, in their notebook or whatever, and provides stronger recall of the original note-taking situation. 

This suggests to me that, as a homeschooler, you are in an ideal situation to help your child learn to take EFFECTIVE typed notes, by training the child to type cognitively-processed summaries and NOT verbatim notes. 

Also, anything a person can do to pre-process lecture information will help enormously: do readings ahead of time, come up with questions about the material, &c.  And I've had good luck with practicing "mindfulness" skills during lectures: actively staying focused (which is exhausting!). 

Finally: Teaching Company lectures may not be the most effective for note-taking practice, because there's usually no chalk-talk; the prof doesn't do written notes during lecture.  Science & maths courses esp. will have a lot of notes written, and ideally everything the prof puts on the board will end up in a person's notes.  This is the consensus I seem to have noticed on the board, at least ...

Science & maths courses esp. will have a lot of notes written, and ideally everything the prof puts on the board will end up in a person's notes.

Agree -- science & math courses require a whole different type of note-taking. :)

Teaching Company lectures may not be the most effective for note-taking practice, because there's usually no chalk-talk; the prof doesn't do written notes during lecture.

Probably depends on which TC lecture series it is. We DID practice note-taking with the Timothy Taylor Economics series, and that did work well because every so often a key definition was put up on the screen, or a chart or graph -- visuals of the specific examples from the professor's notes.

Also, I will add that NOT all of DSs' college courses have had projected lecture notes to accompany the oral lecture, so it is very good to be able to sheerly listen and pick out key points, without having any visual aids to help you out.

I totally agree with Serendipitous Journey about the importance of teaching our homeschooled students a variety of ways of note-taking, and to learn how to listen for key info / summarize, rather than taking verbatim notes. :) BEST of luck to all in learning those note-taking skills! :) Warmly, Lori D.

Even if a student will qualify for special services such as a note taker, I would encourage them to develop their own note taking skills as much as possible.  I don't think there is some magic simply from being in possession of a set of notes.  It is the actual note taking process that is beneficial to the student.  

• 4 weeks later...

Not a professor, but I've been doing lots of research on this for my dyslexic, dysgraphic, ld daughter. I've found that the pp are right, time and again science proves that students retain more with the motor movement of handwritten notes, even if they never look at those notes again. I recently wrote about alternative note-taking strategies: http://www.libertyhillhouse.com/2014/07/22/alternative-note-taking-for-dyslexics/ We are currently testing out a smart pen (livescribe) and I think that may be the best solution for her, but there are many other alternatives out there.

bumping up to ask if you have a review of the livescribe pen yet?

I'm looking at the LiveScribe Sky pen for dd.

I haven't yet gotten around to writing up a full review, but we are loving our Livescribe. We decided to go with an older model than the Sky, and after seeing another student in the same class with the newer model, I'm very happy with that choice.  It is so freeing to know that DD can capture all that she needs despite her disabilities, and she can review those notes at her own pace.  

I'll try to get the full review up for you tonight - Now that I've said that the kids are all going to go absolutely crazy at bedtime aren't they?  Cross your fingers for me.  

I had a work study job at DSS in college, that stood for Disability Support Services. They employed students like me to sit in on classes and take notes for students with disabilities like dysgraphia. The notes did have to be checked by the professor and the department for quality and detail, they don't let just anyone be a note taker. This was when laptops were first being used in classes, today they may just expect students to type their notes.

There were many other services provided, it was a public university, I'm not sure if that makes a difference.

There is definitely a link shown in studies between long term retention of material and the physical act of writing down the information.

By the time I graduated college most of the first year and second year students were using laptops. I always took notes by hand the way I was taught in my high school, and it served me very well.

ETA: another reason to teach penmanship, so you can read your notes, lol.

I had a work study job at DSS in college, that stood for Disability Support Services. They employed students like me to sit in on classes and take notes for students with disabilities like dysgraphia. The notes did have to be checked by the professor and the department for quality and detail, they don't let just anyone be a note taker. This was when laptops were first being used in classes, today they may just expect students to type their notes.

There were many other services provided, it was a public university, I'm not sure if that makes a difference.

At my school, they ask students enrolled in the course to be note takers. Any volunteer is asked to turn in notes in a timely fashion. If they do all semester and the notes are up to par, they are paid a certain amount power credit hour. They usually try to have at least two, so that there is coverage in case of an absence.

One of the local universities here does that ^^ too but where dd is they don't. You're supposed to ask people in class yourself. They gave her a pack of carbon copy paper to give to people and ask them to take notes for her. Awkward when you don't know anyone &/or are not keen to disclose/discuss your disability designation. She just couldn't do this...

I have to say I'm not that impressed with the dds office at dd's college. They also made her approach the profs herself about arranging exam accommodation (they just gave her a letter to show) In other schools someone from the office does that, at least the initial contact...

I have to say I'm not that impressed with the dds office at dd's college. They also made her approach the profs herself about arranging exam accommodation (they just gave her a letter to show) In other schools someone from the office does that, at least the initial contact...

This is normal at our school. The DSS office is intentionally teaching them to advocate for themselves and to transition them from a high school situation where they have people doing everything for them to a life as adults.  They do so not because they are negligent, but because they see this as the goal of their work.

I think it should be expected that adults are capable of talking to their instructors to arrange testing accommodations. They do not have to disclose a diagnosis.

Interesting, regentrude. I see the logic but I i think ultimately I disagree.

This is supposed to remove barriers to education, not add additional ones. It is not unusual for all students to be nervous and intimidated in new class, and some students never really speak with the instructor all term....

I do not consider talking to a professor a barrier to education. Yes, there are students who never speak to their instructors, but it has been my experience that the ones who do talk to their instructors on a regular basis tend to do better in their courses. So, one could turn it around and see this as a positive thing because it gives the students a reason to talk to their professors early on in the semester about something specific and get to know them, which in turn will make it easier for them to approach their instructors later in the semester.

I understand that students feel nervous about this, but I would consider a student who is unable to talk to an adult authority figure they have not met before not ready for college.

ETA: As an aside: even if I am entitled by law to have somebody do a certain thing for me, I would consider it a common courtesy to spend three minutes actually talking to the person who is spending his extra time and effort to make that happen.

They do have to have paperwork though, right? A student just can't walk up and say they write slowly and would appreciate the standard accomodation that they received in high school of double the normal test time? Or can they? 

No, they need to bring me a letter from DSS office which states that the student has provided the office with documentation of a disability and is entitled to accommodations as specified. The accommodations can be time-and half or double time on exams, permission to record lectures, a scribe, extra large print, stuff like this. The DSS letter does not disclose a diagnosis to the instructors.

It is, however, extremely helpful if the student talks to the instructor and offers some more information, because that will help the instructor better understand the student's needs. For example, I had a student with extra time on tests who told me that whenever he has to make a sketch it takes him forever since he is compelled to make it extremely neat before beginning to solve the problem. Knowing this, I could simply prepare the sketch for him in advance (where all other students would spend less than one minute making a rough sketch) and thus enable him to complete in-class tasks in the time allotted (it is not feasible to accommodate in-class tasks with extra time). I would not have known to do this from the stated accommodations on the DSS letter - and it was a simple fix. There were other similar situations with other students.

If I had a student with dysgraphia whose handwriting was difficult to decipher, I would greatly appreciate knowing that this student cannot write more neatly, and that it is not a sign of bad attitude (trust me, there are plenty of those), but a genuine disability. Grading illegible papers is very frustrating; knowing that this is the best a student can do would go a long way towards improving an instructor's disposition and willingness to make an extra effort.

Carbon paper?!?!?  I had no idea that stuff even existed anymore, LOL!

One of the local universities here does that ^^ too but where dd is they don't. You're supposed to ask people in class yourself. They gave her a pack of carbon copy paper to give to people and ask them to take notes for her. Awkward when you don't know anyone &/or are not keen to disclose/discuss your disability designation. She just couldn't do this...

regentrude, I get what you're saying but I don't agree.

btw, I used to teach at this same college. I've been on the other side of this.

As a parent of a kid with an invisible disability, I believe the way another school does it - with the the dss making the first contact on behalf of the student - is better.
I believe it prevents any awkwardness on behalf of both parties, & also prevents the instructor from (intentionally or accidentally) poking & prodding for personal information to which they're not really entitled. Many instructors are not really well versed in the laws & it can put the student in an awkward position when they're having a quick casual conversation.

Also, here accommodations are mandated by law. It's not a favour so this whole common courtesy thing for extra effort on the part of the instructor is really sort of beside the point. Obviously courtesy and manners go a long way to any social relationships but I had to teach rude obnoxious students & assess them just like any other student :) 

I still think this is adding a barrier. It doesn't matter whether students who talk to profs do better - sure they do. I totaly agree. The ones who talk, ask questions, show up in office hours - they all do better.  But normally abled don't have to do those things. It's their choice. Here we're putting a student in a situation where we're taking that choice away from them & I think, unnecessarily so.  It's a minor thing in the long run.

HeighHo - yes, they have documentation. They have to have gone through a neuro-psych or other assessment on their own. Then that gets submitted to the dss office, it gets assessed there, the student is interviewed, and the dss makes up a big list of pre-approved accommodations & writes a letter to each prof. Each term, they have to go through this again. They have all sorts of accommodations for visual, hearing, mobility and other impairments. Some of the accommodations are done by the dss themselves, others require the instructor to participate in some way.

Carbon paper?!?!?  I had no idea that stuff even existed anymore, LOL!

I know, right? & actually maybe it would have actually been better if it was real carbon paper so that the scribing student could just use their own regular paper & shove it underneath. I can sort of maybe see that working. This is that other kind where it's 2 sheets of strange paper stuck together & there's something on the back of the first sheet that makes it make a copy on the second sheet. I can't imagine a student wanting to use this stuff for their own notes. It's awkwardly shaped & not hole punched & once you remove the second sheet, the first sheet is sort of gritty on the back.

In the other school the prof asks a student to be an official scribe. The scribe commits to coming to every class, taking thorough notes & either emailing a scan or dropping a photocopy to the DSS office. The DSS office passes it on to the disabled student. In this way, the disabled student can maintain total anonymity if they choose.  If the scribe does the job, at the end of the term they get a gift certificate for the book store. I think it was $100.