Menu

Am I the only one tired of the Ice Bucket Challenge??

Moxie

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Many charities and organizations are not fully doing what they claim. In 2013, the President and CEO of the ALS Association earned $339,475.00. 

I don't know how that compares to for profit companies, but I think it is wrong to expect expect a financial sacrifice from people choosing to work for non-profits. They are people like any other, with their own financial needs and aspirations.

I would rather the people working for non-profits take high salaries than those working for companies which destroy our economies and our environment.

We'll surely forget the trend that some are too aloof to even deign to tolerate, but $100 million in donations in a summer is an incredible achievement for a nonprofit. And a nice show of giving from a variety of people who aren't 'the usual suspects' when it comes to medical charities. A pat on the back to all who had fun with it and gave a little.

Has anyone else read Mike Rowe's response to his Ice Bucket Challenge

http://mikerowe.com/2014/08/not-throwing-cold-water-on-a-cause/

I thought he made some very important points.

But here’s the thing – if you decide to give charitably, it’s important to understand everything you can about the way your money is going to be spent. That’s not happening here. The spectacular success of the Ice Bucket Challenge is not the result of a conscious, collective commitment to rise up against a terrible scourge; it’s the result of a marketing campaign. Consequently, a foundation accustomed to working for decades on a million dollars or so in annual donations, will now have to manage a $75 million jackpot. That worries me, as it should anyone who has ever studied the fate of lottery winners.

I agree with others who talk about the showmanship of this.  I'm pretty uncomfortable with that.  As a Christian I'm instructed to do my giving in secret.  But, I realize, of course, that not everyone participating is a Christian- but it still rubs me the wrong way because it doesn't seem like they're doing it to raise ALS awareness - just get a little more screen time.    I think this challenge is a boon for sociologists studying our society's thirst for attention.

I agree with others who talk about the showmanship of this. I'm pretty uncomfortable with that. As a Christian I'm instructed to do my giving in secret. But, I realize, of course, that not everyone participating is a Christian- but it still rubs me the wrong way because it doesn't seem like they're doing it to raise ALS awareness - just get a little more screen time. I think this challenge is a boon for sociologists studying our society's thirst for attention.

Excellent statements, by both Mike Rowe & PrincessMommy.

I don't care if people donating to ALS have pure motivations. Don't care at all. All I care about is that this disease and the family of diseases may finally have the money needed to find new treatments or a cure. I pray that the leaders of the charity will make good choices and a lot of good will come from this. It would be wonderful if this time next year or 10yrs from now people can say that the silly ice bucket challenge funded the programs that ended ALS. 

These sentences in the article linked really bother me: "First, ALS research is not an especially great need in public health. It is classified as a rare disease and, thankfully, only about 600 people die from it every year in Canada."

It shows a lack of understanding of how ALS is related to a lot of diseases, of how research into one area can lead to surprising benefits in a lot of other areas, and these thoughts by a lot of people over many years are precisely why ALS is an orphan disease and why there are no treatments for it. Cancer may kill more people but their organizations get tons of money already. It shows very little compassion for the people involved. 

I understand not wanting to be guilted into doing something or sending money. I really do. I don't like it myself either. But, that's really the way most charities work. Why do charities send letters asking for money over and over? Because people won't send as much in if they aren't asked. Why does the ASPCA have those horrible commercials on tv that make my children cry? Because it works- people won't send as much money in if their emotions aren't manipulated. Why do schools and scouting organizations send little kids to ask you to buy stuff? Surely it is not at all about teaching the kids about entrepreneurship. It's because more adults will buy from kids because they would feel guilty saying no to the little faces. People don't like pressures being put upon them to do thing, but the fact is that guilt and pressure works and without it, less money would go to any charity. 

I think it's inspiring what people can do in a little time if motivated. 100million for a charity in a couple of months! My goodness. And how many people really felt a sting from their donations? Not many. Just imagine the good we could do for other causes if we can harness the power of social media again. I've heard the term "slacktivism" applied to the desire of younger adults and teens to support causes on the internet and I feel it's unfair. I think most young people really do want to do something useful but they aren't sure how or where to start. If you give them something specific to do, then they will respond. It gives me hope.

I agree with others who talk about the showmanship of this. I'm pretty uncomfortable with that. As a Christian I'm instructed to do my giving in secret. But, I realize, of course, that not everyone participating is a Christian- but it still rubs me the wrong way because it doesn't seem like they're doing it to raise ALS awareness - just get a little more screen time. I think this challenge is a boon for sociologists studying our society's thirst for attention.

As I mentioned above, I've seen videos posted by people who have *never* posted videos of themselves before. I do not agree that it's a "thirst for attention" driving this.

I'm glad ALS is getting some attention. It and many other orphan diseases are often overlooked but are devastating to those affected. 

I did the challenge with my coworkers (the entire staff was challenged by a former employee). I wasn't going to do it until the boss agreed to donate $10/employee AND $10/like (up to $1000) on Facebook. Within 30 minutes he had hit 100 likes, so that plus the $10/employee that did the challenge sent $1200 off to support research for ALS.  Not a bad use of about 10 seconds of my day.

Love your post Paige!

I don't care if people donating to ALS have pure motivations. Don't care at all. All I care about is that this disease and the family of diseases may finally have the money needed to find new treatments or a cure. I pray that the leaders of the charity will make good choices and a lot of good will come from this. It would be wonderful if this time next year or 10yrs from now people can say that the silly ice bucket challenge funded the programs that ended ALS.

These sentences in the article linked really bother me: "First, ALS research is not an especially great need in public health. It is classified as a rare disease and, thankfully, only about 600 people die from it every year in Canada."

It shows a lack of understanding of how ALS is related to a lot of diseases, of how research into one area can lead to surprising benefits in a lot of other areas, and these thoughts by a lot of people over many years are precisely why ALS is an orphan disease and why there are no treatments for it. Cancer may kill more people but their organizations get tons of money already. It shows very little compassion for the people involved.

I understand not wanting to be guilted into doing something or sending money. I really do. I don't like it myself either. But, that's really the way most charities work. Why do charities send letters asking for money over and over? Because people won't send as much in if they aren't asked. Why does the ASPCA have those horrible commercials on tv that make my children cry? Because it works- people won't send as much money in if their emotions aren't manipulated. Why do schools and scouting organizations send little kids to ask you to buy stuff? Surely it is not at all about teaching the kids about entrepreneurship. It's because more adults will buy from kids because they would feel guilty saying no to the little faces. People don't like pressures being put upon them to do thing, but the fact is that guilt and pressure works and without it, less money would go to any charity.

I think it's inspiring what people can do in a little time if motivated. 100million for a charity in a couple of months! My goodness. And how many people really felt a sting from their donations? Not many. Just imagine the good we could do for other causes if we can harness the power of social media again. I've heard the term "slacktivism" applied to the desire of younger adults and teens to support causes on the internet and I feel it's unfair. I think most young people really do want to do something useful but they aren't sure how or where to start. If you give them something specific to do, then they will respond. It gives me hope.

I agree with others who talk about the showmanship of this.  I'm pretty uncomfortable with that.  As a Christian I'm instructed to do my giving in secret.  But, I realize, of course, that not everyone participating is a Christian- but it still rubs me the wrong way because it doesn't seem like they're doing it to raise ALS awareness - just get a little more screen time.    I think this challenge is a boon for sociologists studying our society's thirst for attention.

Mike Rowe's comment was partly what I was addressing in my post.

He said;

In this world, more money for ALS means less money for Heart Disease. More for Malaria means less for Diabetes. More for AIDS means less for Alzheimer’s. And so forth.

Heart Disease, Malaria, Diabetes are all heavily funded through corporate research in addition to government research. ALS is *not* ALS is an orphan disease, it is not researched by corporations. It has a far smaller piece of the government research pie.

I don't believe people should feel required to dump water on themselves or advertise their charity but it does bug me when people point at an orphan disease and then compare it to a more common illness that does receive more funding. Sometimes a non-profit does need marketing to get them attention.

Here's a blog post I linked to in another ice bucket challenge thread that best explains my feelings about it. While I'm pleased that ALSA has received an increase in donations and that awareness is bring brought to the disease, I believe charitable giving should be personal and somewhat private. I say somewhat private because all causes worth supporting need some publicity.

These are few quotes from the article. Italics are quotes, the other text is mine.

"You are responding to the challenge, not the cause." Some might say "So what? It still brings awareness and money.", but I think it brings more attention to the people doing the challenge, which is something I'm not comfortable with.

"Charity is personal. Why am I now being challenged to donate to ALS? Shouldn't I be challenged to donate to charities I care about?"

"Challenge yourself. Be more involved with the charities that you care about, not just because a social media campaign said you should."

"Participate. Donate. Get involved." Many, if not most people participating in the challenge will do it and forget. That's not how to be involved IMO.

I will say at  least the ice bucket challenge is better than slactivism. Still, I fear it's a fad and not a true cause for many. And the news that ASLA is now wanting to trademark it will possibly make the fad disappear faster than it normally would have.

I think the argument that this is taking money away from other ALS research organizations and other medical research is thin, to say the least. Most of the people who donated to this wouldn't have been donating to any medical related charity in the absence of this viral campaign. These are NEW dollars, new revenues. This doesn't mean less, it means more money overall is available for ALS related causes.

Also, the idea that this represents a lottery windfall to a small, $1million dollar a year organization is silly. ALSA is a large, national organization that is already stewarding a multimillion dollar budget. There's a lot of talent and professionalism within the medical and national niches of the non-profit sector. They will figure it out.

A donor and public obsession with overhead ratios actually hampers the efficacy of the entire charitable sector. This is a good book on this topic. http://www.amazon.com/Uncharitable-Restraints-Nonprofits-Contemporary-Perspectives/dp/1584659556 We should be judging nonprofits by how well they deliver on their missions, not on every dollar spent on paper and employees.

The last thing I will say here is that $300k CEO salary is actually a lot less than what similarly experienced/credentialed professional could make in the private sector. You get what you pay for and non-profit professionals are still professionals, with huge jobs. I wouldn't expect someone with the needed experience, expertise and education to run a large national grant making non-profit to be available to work for beans. When I was running a small local nonprofit I recall someone being incredulous that I was paid. Not because I was doing a bad job (I dramatically increased revenues and program spending) but because they saw it as a volunteer thing. Most skilled people can't afford to work FT+ for nothing. We do have families who like to eat and have housing and go to college and stuff. Crazy, I know, but true.

Here's a blog post I linked to in another ice bucket challenge thread that best explains my feelings about it. While I'm pleased that ALSA has received an increase in donations and that awareness is bring brought to the disease, I believe charitable giving should be personal and somewhat private. I say somewhat private because all causes worth supporting need some publicity.

These are few quotes from the article. Italics are quotes, the other text is mine.

"You are responding to the challenge, not the cause." Some might say "So what? It still brings awareness and money.", but I think it brings more attention to the people doing the challenge, which is something I'm not comfortable with.

"Charity is personal. Why am I now being challenged to donate to ALS? Shouldn't I be challenged to donate to charities I care about?"

"Challenge yourself. Be more involved with the charities that you care about, not just because a social media campaign said you should."

"Participate. Donate. Get involved." Many, if not most people participating in the challenge will do it and forget. That's not how to be involved IMO.

I will say at least the ice bucket challenge is better than slactivism. Still, I fear it's a fad and not a true cause for many. And the news that ASLA is now wanting to trademark it will possibly make the fad disappear faster than it normally would have.

It's a flash in the pan. Of course. Trademarking it is just a stupid, ill thought out idea. Whoever suggested that at the organization probably is totally ignorant about social media. Totally ignorant.

While the sentiment that charity should be private is a nice one and one I tend to share in how I tackle my own giving, I don't think it works in general. There is a reason churches pass collection plates in plain view of the whole congregation and you raise a paddle at a charity auction and we see people's names on the side of new ERs and Opera halls. The effectiveness of fundraising needs to be considered as well as the idealism of humble, private action.

The MDA telethon is TODAY! Aug 31st. They have an Ice Bucket Challenge button on their page! You know what's more tiresome than hearing about the Ice Bucket Challenge? Living with a neuromuscular disease every day! Do it in honor of Jerry Lewis. Do it in honor of KungFuPanda's 14-year-old son. If they cure ONE of these diseases, they'll hold the keys to cure them all. There are families affected by diseases so horrible that they actually envy cancer victims because they at least have a chance.

Go Science Go!!!

http://mda.org/disease/amyotrophic-lateral-sclerosis?iq_id=70614237&source_code=140802AAAC030613-VQ16-t

I think it is being used for people's own agendas at this point, BUT it has raised awareness and an enormous amount of money.

I opted out for my own ethical reasons, but I can certainly see the monetary benefits as well as community education that has occurred.

It is such a terrible illness, and one that I wish I were not so familiar with personally.

I didn't read the other posts. But my bil has bulbar ALS. He is 30, with a wife and three little kids. My sil said the ice bucket videos bring a bit of joy to their lives and a break from constantly thinking about his illness. I also love that it is bringing awareness, since many people have never even really heard of it, or if they have, they don't know how a person is affected so profoundly by it. ALS is a terrible disease.