Menu

BEST Ponchos & Backpacks for Disney!

Murrayshire

We are going on our second trip to Disney World soon!!  From what I remember about my backpack I used the last time, wasn't good.  My back was always hot & sweaty not to mention sore.  I'm looking for something light and somewhat waterproof, but don't want to break the bank for a new one.  Any recommendations on one?  Keep in mind that I'll be packing snacks, water bottle, sunscreen, phone, and all those handy bandaids & whatnot.  The kids each have their own fanny packs for camera & water bottle.  We like to save on water by just filling up our bottles with free water at the park instead of sodas.  

Also, when dealing with rain, what sort of packable poncho or rain jacket works for you?  Our 1st time at Disney we had zero rain....we went in May.  This time we are going in September and I've heard that I better gear up for rain....bummer.  

Links, suggestions, and pictures of what you use and swear by will be extremely helpful!  

:thumbup:

Try wearing your backpack turned around toward the front instead of the back. Immediately it will become sweat free.

I use a Dooney & Bourke backpack that I bought at the park a few years ago. It is expensive, but I got it "free" with Disney Visa points and my annual pass discount.

http://www.disneystore.com/disney-backpack-by-dooney-bourke/mp/1314017/1000291/

Ponchos can be found at WalMart for a few bucks. The more lightweight, the better. If you want to look cool, add some Disney stickers to it.

I bought inexpensive ponchos in the camping section of Walmart and Target before our trip, and we used them during an afternoon deluge last August (it was a doozy). I also had a kitchen drawstring trash bag folded in the bottom of my backpack. During the heavy rain, we put the backpack inside the trash bag to keep the bag dry, and after the rain, we put the wet ponchos in the trash bag so that we could keep them, dry them out, and reuse them if necessary. Because we are a family of six, taking our own rain gear saved a ton of money over buying it at the park. Before we took them out the first time, they were folded up small and flat, so they took up very little room in my bag.

I also found refillable plastic water pouches at Target that are flat when empty. They took up virtually no room in our baggage while traveling, and when at the park they were much less bulky to carry around than an actual bottle. We could also attach them to the outside of our bag with carabiner clips.  Loved them!

Keep in mind, too, that any counter service restaurant will give anyone a free cup of ice water.

We are going in September too!

We also use the ponchos from the camping section at Target. They are pretty cheap ($1 or $2).

I have a Disney backpack from Mori Luggage, but I don't see it on their site anymore. Perhaps try a less structured backpack that doesn't sit right on your back to prevent the sweats.

About backpacks -- my best advice is to choose one that your husband is willing to carry, and have him tote it half of the time.

We actually use a backpack diaper bag that we got from Lands' End (or LL Bean??) when my oldest was an infant. It looks like a regular backpack (so much so that my nephew carried the diaper bag backpack  that his mom used when he was a baby as his school bag in junior high)  but has lots of handy pockets and bottle holders inside. it is study, and the outside is a kind of nylon type of material that not only wipes clean but also repels water somewhat. We only use it when we vacation now, but it is perfect. I'm not sure it is less hot and sweaty than any other backpack, though.

I bought inexpensive ponchos in the camping section of Walmart and Target before our trip, and we used them during an afternoon deluge last August (it was a doozy). I also had a kitchen drawstring trash bag folded in the bottom of my backpack. During the heavy rain, we put the backpack inside the trash bag to keep the bag dry, and after the rain, we put the wet ponchos in the trash bag so that we could keep them, dry them out, and reuse them if necessary. Because we are a family of six, taking our own rain gear saved a ton of money over buying it at the park. Before we took them out the first time, they were folded up small and flat, so they took up very little room in my bag.

I also found refillable plastic water pouches at Target that are flat when empty. They took up virtually no room in our baggage while traveling, and when at the park they were much less bulky to carry around than an actual bottle. We could also attach them to the outside of our bag with carabiner clips. Loved them!

Keep in mind, too, that any counter service restaurant will give anyone a free cup of ice water.

My son will just be carrying his flat plastic pouch for water on a hook. He's going to attach it to his lanyard. We will definitely take advantage of the free water!

Thank you!

We are going in September, too! I have a small cross-body bag that will hold small stuff and also a sling bag that dh can carry. It is our first time there without a stroller/diaper bag, I hope everything fits.

ETA: links

Ooooo! I like those!

My husband is not going to carry anything on him all day. He does have a water bottle sling that has a small pocket on it to store his phone, but that is as far as he'll go. He does have a point though..... I over pack. I like to be prepared and he rather just buy if he needs it.

Our first time at Disney was without a stroller too. My youngest was 4 at the time and managed all the walking just fine. I carried an Eddie Bauer diaper bag bookbag...... It had great pockets and plenty of space but was too heavy to wear all day loaded up. Hubby did share the load at times but complained that I packed too much!

I'm going to do better this year and only pack phone, small wallet, my own water bottle, sunscreen, bandaids, Chapstick, poncho (if we think we need them that day), small camera, plastic grocery bag, sanitizer, face wipes, and snacks. That's probably way too much as it is..... Ugh! Why can't I be one of those fly by the seat of your pants chicks?!

Hope you have a great trip!

I have decided that from now on I will be using one of the daypack backpacks from REI or similar.  They have mesh in the back that takes the actual material off your back and allows breathing.

I got my husband one for his recent BSA trip and it is AWESOME! I have been using it for our local theme park and it works great! 

This is the one we have:

https://gregorypacks.com/en/GM74514.html

See the mesh in the back?

There are less expensive ones out there, but this is just an example.  We got it for 50% off clearance at REI this year.

Not only do they keep your back dry, but they also are lightweight and ergonomic, so even with heavy stuff in there, it doesn't feel so heavy.  I have been carrying it around our local theme park every trip this summer.  It has worked great.

I'm going to do better this year and only pack phone, small wallet, my own water bottle, sunscreen, bandaids, Chapstick, poncho (if we think we need them that day), small camera, plastic grocery bag, sanitizer, face wipes, and snacks. That's probably way too much as it is..... Ugh! Why can't I be one of those fly by the seat of your pants chicks?!

Hope you have a great trip!

Yes, you are packing too much, in my opinion. You need to cut the weight in your backpack. Consider getting a one day supply of sunscreen that clips on to a belt loop like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Aloe-Gator-Lotion-Carabiner-1-5-Ounce/dp/B001TABNWY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=undefined&sr=8-1&keywords=Sunscreen+clip+on

Water bottles can be clip on also.

You will not even need a wallet of any kind if your credit card is stored on your magic band. You have this option if you are staying at a Disney resort.

Get a clip on case for your phone and use it to take photos. If you must also take a small camera, then add a handle and loop it through another belt buckle.

Let the kiddos carry their own IPods or DS games in a fanny pack and water bottles attached to belt loops. Band aids can be found in the park if you need one. One day hand sanitizers come in clip ons like the sunscreen. Chapstick? I do not know about that one because our lips get smothered in sunscreen.

Now the only thing you need in a backpack is snacks and a rain poncho. At least you will be eating the weight of the backpack as the day goes on. If your entire family had fanny packs, you may not need the backpack at all.

My teen boys would rather starve than carry fanny packs.  Lockers are pretty pricey and really not convenient for us.

My boys will carry a lightweight backpack though.

The less I have to carry, the better. That means fanny packs all round, and leaving some stuff in lockers in the park until it's needed. :-)

Yes, you are packing too much, in my opinion. You need to cut the weight in your backpack. Consider getting a one day supply of sunscreen that clips on to a belt loop like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Aloe-Gator-Lotion-Carabiner-1-5-Ounce/dp/B001TABNWY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=undefined&sr=8-1&keywords=Sunscreen+clip+on

You will not even need a wallet of any kind if your credit card is stored on your magic band. You have this option if you are staying at a Disney resort.

Get a clip on case for your phone and use it to take photos. If you must also take a small camera, then add a handle and loop it through another belt buckle.

Let the kiddos carry their own IPods or DS games in a fanny pack and water bottles attached to belt loops. Band aids can be found in the park if you need one. One day hand sanitizers come in clip ons like the sunscreen. Chapstick? I do not know about that one because our lips get smothered in sunscreen.

Now the only thing you need in a backpack is snacks and a rain poncho. At least you will be eating the weight of the backpack as the day goes on. If your entire family had fanny packs, you may not need the backpack at all.

How on earth can you stand so many clip-on things? Where are you clipping them on? To your belt? To your bag? I would go bonkers walking around Disney with one item clipped to me, flopping around every time I moved, let alone several. I'd feel like Bert in Mary Poppins.

Yes....I'm a Chapstick freak and I always have one in my pocket!

My two older girls are carrying their own small fanny pack, their own money, their own iPods, and their own water bottle...... I have refused to carry EVERYONE'S things this time. Mom needs a break!

We like to pay cash as much as possible and won't have magic bands. My in laws have timeshares and we really take advantage of their resorts for all vacations..... Though staying on Disney sounds enticing, a free week at a resort sounds even better! 😉

I have travel size everything.... I think. Including sunscreen!

Thanks for reminding me about the clips that attach to water bottles. I saw them on amazon not too long ago....they are inexpensive and neat! I am hoping that my backpack will have a outer water pouch. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0012F9RQK/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1FMUOMSDTCB8X

They have other cool ones on there too that clip to your body!

I rather have everything in one place than clipped all over me though.

I liked your comment, "At least you will be eating the weight of the backpack as the day goes on."

☺ï¸

Editted b/c my ipad seems to think it knows what I want to say.

For the person who asked, when I walk into a Disney park, I have a very small sunscreen clipped to a belt loop, my hat on my head, my sunglasses on my face, and a phone clipped to the outside of a pocket. That is it. No bags, not even a wallet thanks to Magic bands. The only time I take my backpack is if I need to take a big camera with a big lens. Then I wear the backpack turned around on my chest, not on my back. Otherwise, even that lightweight equipment gives me a sweaty, sore back.