Menu

Which PSAT test prep book should I get?

I just realized it is the middle of August already, and the PSAT test is in just two months. 

This week I want to order a PSAT test prep book for my dd, who needs to focus on the math part.

Amazon has a lot of choices: 

Kaplan

Barron's

McGraw-Hill

Princeton Review

etc. etc. etc.

If I buy multiple books, my dd will be overwhelmed.  :willy_nilly:

So... which one do y'all recommend?

For sophomore year, we did the practice booklet downloaded from the college board website: 

http://media.collegeboard.com/digitalServices/pdf/professionals/2014-PSAT-NMSQT-Student-Guide.pdf

In particular, I gave her a brief overview for some of the math concepts we hadn't covered yet.

For junior year, we are doing SAT prep spread through the year and calling that good enough for both tests.  We will only cover the multiple choice portions of her SAT prep books and not the essay for September, since there is no essay on the PSAT.

I just ordered a bunch of stuff off Amazon, will have to post reviews later.  :-)

My sister is much younger and has recently graduated from college said that the Princeton Review materials were superior to the Barron materials for SAT prep. She also took a PR class and she said it was worth every penny. She says that the SAT is all about knowing HOW to answer the questions and PR is very good at teaching that. 

My guy suggests staying AWAY from Kaplan... he absolutely detested the one book of theirs I got as it had too many errors (true errors - not just his thinking disagreeing with theirs). 

His preference was almost always Barrons as they tend to be more difficult than the tests - making the tests seem quite easy when he got to them.

McGraw Hill is great for "teaching" concepts if you feel that is needed, but their practice tests can be too easy.

Princeton Review is probably best for those who don't want overly challenging (like Barrons) as their tests can be closest to the real thing.

All two cents from my now college junior who easily scored well within the top 1%.  (He also tutored others using these books - except Kaplan - he refused to use that one to help others.)

ps  Don't take my post as a "Get Barrons" be all and end all.  Pick a book that suits your student.  My guy would pull out McGraw Hill for those who needed to learn some concepts they had missed or would use Princeton Review for those who didn't like focusing on the "hard" questions as much, etc.

Kids do best when they feel up to what they are tackling and it's not a "one size fits all" deal.