Menu

Question About Aeneid (Church), Tales From Shakespeare (Lamb), Canterbury Tales (McCaughrean)

Reefgazer

Would you expect a mid-elementary student (4th grade) to read these works on his own and then be able to discuss them with you?  I know the experience is richer if I read with him (at least that has been our experience), but I was just wondering about the hive's expectations as far as reading these works independently.

I don't know the Church.  The Lamb is written in period language and I would not expect a fourth grade pupil to thrive reading them alone.  I read them aloud and still had to explain some things.  As far as I remember, the McCaughrean was readable - she's a modern author.

If you want a Shakespeare text for a 4th grade to tackle alone, then this book was good, as were the BBC animated tales.  I used the cartoon book, followed by the cartoon videos, followed (in some cases) by Lamb, followed by a live performance.

L

I wouldn't read any version of the Canterbury Tales with a child that young. Chaucer was making some pretty scathing comments about the Church, the Crown and society. Without the ability to understand this, they are just silly, and some cases, rather ribald.

D

Church's Aeneid: yes, an average homeschooled 4th grader (meaning one who has a habit of reading something other than graphic novels ;)) should have no problems with this.  CHOLL even has (FREE!) notes/questions to go with this. 

Lamb's Shakespeare:  my very literate 6th grader balked the first time he read Lamb's.  We had to narrate paragraph by paragraph, draw some "flowcharts" to keep the characters straight, and look some words up in the dictionary.  It was good for him.  After a few sessions of this, he could do it all on his own, and even admitted to liking it.  The fifth grader needed me to hold his hand all year with Lamb's...different boys. 

McCaughrean's Canterbury Tales:  even though it is a modern retelling, I wouldn't do the whole book with a 4th grader, maybe just selected tales that are a little less, earthy....

Thank you all so much for your input!  This gives me lots to consider.  I was not planning to read the Canterbury Tales with DS, but was thinking of Aeneid and some selected Lamb's Shakespeare.  I'll keep thinking on it, though.  My kids are excellent readers, but some of you made points about the material I had not considered, since these tales were not read to me as a child.

I have not used the Aeneid by Church. My boys used In Search of a Homeland by Penelope Lively. Tales of heroes were typically a hit with my boys. Use whatever version works for y'all.

We used mainly Nesbitt's Beautiful Stories from Shakespeare. I do own Lamb, but honestly I find that the way they condensed the stories makes them more confusing than the actual play. I am another who occassionally made finger puppets or figures glued to popsicle sticks to help keep the characters straight. We use No Fear Shakespeare starting in about grade five. I have my son read the modern language side independently. Then, he listens to a fully dramatized audio of the original work while reading along. I try to follow up with the play or a video of the play.

I am another who is not certain about the value of reading a version of Chaucer in grade four. There is plenty of wonderful literature for this age. However, if you just want a quick story to put Chaucer on the map so to speak, Barbara Cooney wrote a picture book version of one of the tales- The Chanticleer and the Fox. You can do it in one sitting, talk about Chaucer, and move on.

HTH-

Mandy

What is CHOLL??

Church's Aeneid: yes, an average homeschooled 4th grader (meaning one who has a habit of reading something other than graphic novels ;)) should have no problems with this. CHOLL even has (FREE!) notes/questions to go with this.

Lamb's Shakespeare: my very literate 6th grader balked the first time he read Lamb's. We had to narrate paragraph by paragraph, draw some "flowcharts" to keep the characters straight, and look some words up in the dictionary. It was good for him. After a few sessions of this, he could do it all on his own, and even admitted to liking it. The fifth grader needed me to hold his hand all year with Lamb's...different boys.

McCaughrean's Canterbury Tales: even though it is a modern retelling, I wouldn't do the whole book with a 4th grader, maybe just selected tales that are a little less, earthy....