Menu

Need meal planning help for Cuban meal ... too much rice?

aggieamy

My book club is reading My Man in Havana so we're doing Cuban food for dinner.

My menu is:

Black beans and rice

Cuban Sandwich <<< I need to figure out a way to make a vegetarian version of this

Plantain Chips

Watermelon Daiquiris

Rice Pudding

Is it too much rice to have rice and bean along with rice pudding?  I could do a Tres Leche cake instead but that would be a new recipe and rice pudding is a recipe I've made lots of times.  

The Cake Mix Doctor's tres leches cake is very good. I've made it for our mostly Hispanic staff at work and it gets eaten before other desserts. One guy requested it for his birthday cake. It's easy too. I usually google for the recipe rather than figuring out which cookbook and finding it.

Thanks so much!  Okay ... I'm still up in the air with the dessert and now flan is added as a possibility.  I'll make DH decide!

Adding Vigo yellow rice to my grocery list, thanks for the suggestion.

Umsami - You're making it too easy for me.  Thank you!  I'll let you know how they turn out.  

Nm

Nevermind?!?!  Now my curiosity is killing me.  Did you have a vote on which dessert I should make?   :laugh:

I have no clue if yellow rice is actually/authentically Cuban.  We had it quite a few times at Cuban restaurants and food stands in south Florida.  It was always served with black beans.

That doesn't matter.  If it's delicious then it gets a pass for being close enough to authentic.  

IMHO, you could ditch the black beans and rice if you're serving sandwiches. A sandwich with a side of rice and beans is very heavy. The plantain chips are enough for a side. If you can find them, yucca chips are amazingly good.

If you really want to serve rice, could you make arroz con pollo instead? That could serve as a complete meal or you could make some baked plantains. Those are easy to make and really delicious.

I'd vote for flan too, but it's my favorite dessert so I'm biased.

IMHO, you could ditch the black beans and rice if you're serving sandwiches. A sandwich with a side of rice and beans is very heavy. The plantain chips are enough for a side. If you can find them, yucca chips are amazingly good.

It's also very heavy in carbs, if any of the guests are concerned about that.

I don't know what exactly is in the sandwiches, but if you could do some sort of greens on the side (a salad or something like this (without the rice, since you already have the rice and beans option), then they would have the option to have the sandwich contents with that instead of on bread.

For lunch, I might take out the rice and beans and put in jicama salad -- so cool and light and easy-peasy.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/tyler-florence/crunchy-jicama-and-mango-salad-with-chile-and-lime-recipe.html

Not to mention, how fun it is to say "jicama"... particularly several times quickly...

:laugh:

ps My Man in Havana, or Graham Greene ("our" man?)  Our Man cracked me up.

For lunch, I might take out the rice and beans and put in jicama salad -- so cool and light and easy-peasy.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/tyler-florence/crunchy-jicama-and-mango-salad-with-chile-and-lime-recipe.html

Not to mention, how fun it is to say "jicama"... particularly several times quickly...

:laugh:

ps My Man in Havana, or Graham Greene ("our" man?)  Our Man cracked me up.

LOL!  I can't even claim sleep deprived because the baby sleeps through the night now.