Menu

Gym moms...a ?

Gentlemommy

How many hours per week has your child practiced at each level? Currently, my dd 6 year old is there for about 8 hours a week. There is also an option for two hour of open gym and one hour of handspring clinic on Saturday...She just started in level 2, which is the earliest level I guess? There is no level 1? (I don't understand this lol. She was in a 'pre team' last year). I just want to know what the commitment is going to look like as she progresses through the program.

My son is a level 8 and is at the gym 12 hours a week total. Not to toot our own horn but my son has done well at the state and regional levels. Our gym has the philosophy that more gym practice isn't always better. More conditioning is the key ( at least that's what our coach does).

Sorry for the long answer to a simple question!

Elise in NC

(btw, our old gym does compete level 1, which used to be level 2...before the change, level 2 was the lowest level they competed.  Our current gym still doesn't compete until level 2).

We seem to be at a middle of the road gym.

Level 2: 6 hours 

Level 3: 10 hours

Level 4: 12 hours

There are some inbetween levels during the summer where certain girls may train a little more.  For example, there is a level 2 girl that was level 2 last year also.  She can come on Tuesdays also, giving her 9 hours.

Oh, this is not USAG though.  They do train more.  They also pay a LOT more and have a LOT more in terms of fundraising, traveling, and other responsibility.  Part of me thinks it'd be great to be there.  The other part of me is so thankful I'm not!

Levels 2 and 3 are in the gym 9-14 hours per week. Levels 4 and 5 are there 16-21 hours per week. Level 6 and up are in the gym 20-25 hours per week. Way too long if you ask me!! I requested shorter hours at our annual start of season meeting, but was outvoted. :thumbdown:

Dd, 8,  is a level 4.  She's at the gym 16 hours a week.  This is USAG.  We visited a couple other gyms last spring/summer and this is typical at this level in our area.  

(And, the PP who said that USAG gyms have a lot of travel is right!  We just got our schedule for competitions.  New York, Las Vegas, a couple in OH and then a few local ones here in MI.  ACK!)

My DD hasn't been in gymnastics in about three years, but when she was, the number of hours varied by a lot.  She trained level 7 in GA and worked out about 16-20 hours per week.  She trained level 8 at a high profile gym in TX (they currently have three national team members) and worked out 24 hours a week.

My younger son is training level 4 and works out 6 hours a week. My other son is training level 9 and works out 20-22 hours a week. He did 8 hours in level 4, 12 hours in level 5, 16 hours in level six and last year went to 20 hours. He also does a private lesson or two when we can fit it in.

My daughter competed for a few seasons. She did 10 1/2 hours in old level 4 and 14 hours in old level 5.

My level five son is at the gym three times a week for three-hour sessions, so nine hours total.

The hours per level are really going to vary for each gym, and they will also be different for the boys' team versus the girls' team.

DS4 just started gymnastics and our gym doesn't have a boys team. He's the only boy in the preschool-aged class, actually. If he wants to compete, we'll have to find a different gym. What age does this usually start for boys? For some reason, I was under the impression that boys start competing later than girls.

My dd has left gymnastics this summer but this is what she did in a USAG gym:

preteam I think was 4 or 6  hours?

level 3(old 4) 12 hours

level 4(old 5) 16 hours

level 5 20 hours.

I just looked into the new city we are moving to and it was a lot less hours(but double the cost).  So I think it tends to depend on the area you live...b/c all the gyms had less hours in our new town.  Whereas here in VA they seem to want as many as they can.  

DS4 just started gymnastics and our gym doesn't have a boys team. He's the only boy in the preschool-aged class, actually. If he wants to compete, we'll have to find a different gym. What age does this usually start for boys? For some reason, I was under the impression that boys start competing later than girls.

Boys may start competition at age 6. USAG defines competition age by the boys age as of Sept. 1. So my son who will turn 14 in Nov. will compete as a 13 year old.

Most boys I see tend to be between 7-9 years when they start. Boys gymnastics is a whole different world than girls. Boys who start older tend to skip level 4. Also boys can only get so far without puberty.

If your son really enjoys gymnastics I would think about finding another gym for when he is 5.

Right now at dd's gym:

Level 3: 3hoursx3days

Level 4: 4x4

Level 5: 4x4, 5-hour Saturdays when no competition

No level 6

Level 7/8: 4x6.5 (daytime) + 1x5

9-E: 4x6.5 (daytime) + 1x5 + 1x4

The other "high profile" gym in that state:

Level 3: 3x3

Level 4: 3x4

Level 5: 4x3

Level 6: 4x4

Level 7: 4x4 + 1x5

Level 8/9: (4.5x4 OR 4x6(daytime)) + 1x5

Level 10/E: 5x6 (daytime)

Gym in less competitive state

Level 3: 2x3

Level 4: 3x3

level 5: 3x4

Level 6/7: 4x4

Level 8/9: 4x5

Better gym in less competitive state

Level 3: 3x4

Level 4: 4x4

Level 5/6: 4x4 + 1x5

Level 7/8: 4x5

Level 9-E: 6x4 (daytime)+ 1x5

All USAG, significantly different costs between the two states, and yes, the daytime hours at these specific gyms are mandatory at some point.  3 of those gyms also do summer hours that are something like 5-6 hours 5 days/week for levels 4+

eta: I know that at least two of those gyms limit compulsory travel to one meet per season, but nearly all of the optionals travel to 3/4 not including regionals/westerns/nationals.  Booster clubs can be a great thing at that point!

When DS was seven, we switched him from a recreational gym near our home to a competitive gym that is 35 minutes away but has a boys' team. Unfortunately, it can be hard to find a boys' team; many gyms focus just on girls after the preschool level.

DS spent a year just taking class at the new gym before being asked to join the team just after he turned 8. He started at level 4 and was one of the oldest in his group. Our gym tends to invite boys to join the level 4 team around age 6 if they are showing potential; some may even be 5. They use that level as a kind of intro to competition and just go to low-key local meets. DS spent one year at level 4 before moving up to 5, but many of the guys who start younger spend a couple of years at level 4.  At level 5 they start to go to meets around the state. Upper levels will travel farther (we go to a USAG gym).

So, from our experience, you can wait and switch around age 7 and have your son be competitive, but after that age, it might be hard to switch from a rec gym to a competitive one and catch up. I'd say the ideal age would be 6. By that time if they have some skill, it will show.  

ETA If you have a gym with a boys' team close by your home, the earlier you switch, the better. But if you will need to make a significant drive that will impact your family, I wouldn't consider it worth the drive before age 6. But it all depends on the needs of your family and how the driving will affect everyone. In my opinion, a longer drive multiple times a week, plus the expense, is not worth it unless gymnastics is very important for the child. That's why I advocate waiting until age 6 or even 7 to see if there is both skill and interest. Others may disagree. And I'm only speaking about boys. Girls gymnastics is very different.

When DS was seven, we switched him from a recreational gym near our home to a competitive gym that is 35 minutes away but has a boys' team. Unfortunately, it can be hard to find a boys' team; many gyms focus just on girls after the preschool level.

DS spent a year just taking class at the new gym before being asked to join the team just after he turned 8. He started at level 4 and was one of the oldest in his group. Our gym tends to invite boys to join the level 4 team around age 6 if they are showing potential; some may even be 5. They use that level as a kind of intro to competition and just go to low-key local meets. DS spent one year at level 4 before moving up to 5, but many of the guys who start younger spend a couple of years at level 4. At level 5 they start to go to meets around the state. Upper levels will travel farther (we go to a USAG gym).

So, from our experience, you can wait and switch around age 7 and have your son be competitive, but after that age, it might be hard to switch from a rec gym to a competitive one and catch up. I'd say the ideal age would be 6. By that time if they have some skill, it will show.

ETA If you have a gym with a boys' team close by your home, the earlier you switch, the better. But if you will need to make a significant drive that will impact your family, I wouldn't consider it worth the drive before age 6. But it all depends on the needs of your family and how the driving will affect everyone. In my opinion, a longer drive multiple times a week, plus the expense, is not worth it unless gymnastics is very important for the child. That's why I advocate waiting until age 6 or even 7 to see if there is both skill and interest. Others may disagree. And I'm only speaking about boys. Girls gymnastics is very different.

Interesting. Ds is 3 and in the 3 year preschool age class. He is also the only boy in his class; however, they do have a boys team and are a USAG gym. Right now we have him in it to develop some balance and coordination so it's not a big deal. He certainly isn't showing a lot of talent ;). But good to have this info for the future in case he is interested later and has the talent.

Wow, I am intrigued by the differences in all the gyms.

Here is what our experience at our gym has been:

Preteam (younger dd currently) 2 days a week 1 hr and15 min. each day

Older dd:

Level 2/3 -- 2-3 days a week 1.5 hrs each day

(New level 3's now have 9.5 hrs)

Level 4 (old level 4) -- 3 days 3 hrs a day= 9 hrs

Level 4 (new) 3 days =10.5 hrs

Level 5 (new) 4 days = 13.5 hrs

Dd is currently training excel (scored out of 5 but not ready for 6) 15 hrs/week

ETA If you have a gym with a boys' team close by your home, the earlier you switch, the better. But if you will need to make a significant drive that will impact your family, I wouldn't consider it worth the drive before age 6. But it all depends on the needs of your family and how the driving will affect everyone. In my opinion, a longer drive multiple times a week, plus the expense, is not worth it unless gymnastics is very important for the child. That's why I advocate waiting until age 6 or even 7 to see if there is both skill and interest. Others may disagree. And I'm only speaking about boys. Girls gymnastics is very different.

We had our son at a gym with no team and learned some bad habits. We moved and then put him in a gym with a tiny and brand new team. A year later he was put on the team because he was ready to move up and they had no boys in intermediate/advanced class. After a rough late start he is doing just fine. He was 9 when getting his 1st real classes and turned 10 before competing. He is now 13 and trying to get to nationals this year for level 9. (I don't think he will get there yet )

Late starts are very possible for boys.

Maturity is also a big deal. My younger son has a big problem with focus so even though he has learned easily this is keeping him back. I expect that if he stays interested he will gain faster when he is older.

How far in advance do you all get your competition/travel schedules? Our gym owner emailed us yesterday about a meet they decided to add in September and money is due now.

I'm rather unhappy about that.

We will have a meeting around the second week of Sept and get our schedules then. Our gym kicks off meet season with an in house meet in December and then the girls start meets in January. Last year level 4 did a couple earlier (Oct-Nov) but that's unusual.

We are on the light side for our state, most gyms have more hours, especially at level 3 and above.

Girls level 1, 2 hours per week

Girls level 2, 4 hours

Level 3, 6 hours

Level 4, 12 hours

Level 5 and up, 14 hours

Boys level 1, 1 1/2 hours per week

Level 2, 2 hours

Level 3, 4 hours

Level 4, 6 hours

Level 5 and up, 10 hours

We have our schedule and have had it for a few weeks. There will be one added in March. I'm thankful to know so early!

That would be amazing, I hate that I have to wait another month.

I know we are super blessed though, all our meets are within a 3 hour radius, save the one out of state one they do. (Well, and the older girls have regionals and nationals as well.) I have heard of others traveling schedules and how crazy it can be. I am thankful fo where we live that we have so many options. I think I heard the gym over say there were 4 meets Preidents day weekend to choose from. Crazy.