Menu

Nervously hopeful about school starting

I feel nervous, excited, anxious, and hopeful about school starting. We worked hard over the summer to get DS more fluent in reading and help his writing. I think he has come a long way but I have no objective measures.

I feel we worked hard but now I wonder if it was enough. I'm praying his school year is less about remediation and more about fun. I hope that our afterschooling isn't about teaching differently what the school is doing but enrichment instead. I want to help him to find fun in his work and not stress or boredom. I hope his teacher is understanding and accommodating to his writing skills.

Anyone else excited for a new year but also worried?

I have been in that place with my dyslexic. Last year, starting third grade, was the first year I was more excited than nervous. This year I wasn't nervous at all. And remember that many students, even (maybe especially) those who ended the year on target or ahead did absolutely nothing to maintain their skills over the summer. Teachers are used to kids coming back having lost some skills. if you son has advanced at all the teachers will probably be thrilled.

I have been in that place with my dyslexic. Last year, starting third grade, was the first year I was more excited than nervous. This year I wasn't nervous at all. And remember that many students, even (maybe especially) those who ended the year on target or ahead did absolutely nothing to maintain their skills over the summer. Teachers are used to kids coming back having lost some skills. if you son has advanced at all the teachers will probably be thrilled.

Yes, I am getting excited and anxious too.  We start next Wednesday.

The girls did so much this summer just with travel, camps, and living life.  Miss E has read a ton and done some summer bridge stuff and some piano.  She is not a fan of home academics, but she doesn't really need them just to succeed in school.

Miss A has done a lot of "school" work.  We got through and discarded lots of worksheets.  Still the pile of stuff I wanted to get through is tall, and some things we never even touched.  From now until school, their days and evenings are completely scheduled, except for the day before school.  On that day they will have to do several homework projects.  We'll review some math and grammar concepts and facts, and that's about it.

We'll keep working on the planned summer review stuff until it is done, even if this takes us well into the fall.  In addition, we'll be doing homework and afterschooling whatever they are working on in school.

I really hope this is the last year we start the year reviewing prior grade stuff.

I think, though, that we will be off to a good start.  I had them in several math camps over the summer, and a general academic review camp last week.  Reading has never been a big issue.  I'm more concerned about the whole following directions / getting things done on time.  I really think getting enough sleep is the thing for that.  Though I could be wrong.

I signed them up for some new extracurriculars and I'm now in the "what was I thinking" mode.  So hard to know what is the right balance.  Every day they will be in aftercare for 1.5-3 hours (so they should be able to do all their homework and test study there), and then we should have .5-1.5 hours available to afterschool in the evenings.

The first month of school, I'll be working extra long hours on a major project.  Then in October, their teacher will go on maternity leave.  Then all the birthdays, holidays, and travel that we do from October through January will prevent us from having a routine.  And shortly after that they have standardized testing.  Ain't life grand....

So, yeah.  I'm excited over all the new school supplies and clothes.  And meeting their teacher and getting back in contact with their school friends.  And starting AHG, soccer, and swim team for the first time.  And getting into the 3rd grade study materials I've been accumulating.  But yeah, I'm anxious too.

It makes me less anxious to think the teacher may notice we've been working hard.  DS is excited and I want for him to enjoy and have fun at school. 

It doesn't help that my kids are afraid of the 3rd grade teacher.  LOL.  First impressions work both ways.

I'm sure she's a very nice lady....

The other thing I'm worried about is who the substitute is going to be when the teacher goes on mat leave.  Their retired 1st grade teacher, who gave me so much heartburn????  Time will tell.

Mine started today. I am worried about my dyslexic 4th grader. She is very shy and unsure of herself. All of my other children did fine academically and socially last year and I was so worried.

I hope she likes it and makes friends.

It's funny but having kids in school reminds me of my dad praying for us every new school year. He would pray for the right teacher for us who knew how to teach us. As a child I wondered what the big deal was. A teacher is a teacher, right? Now I understand! It can be everything! Good classmates can mean the world too. Praying for our kids!