Menu

German and/or Russian speaking Families in Kansas City area?

Hi forum,

this is probably a long shot, but are there any homeschooling families in Kansas City area, who are bilingual in German and/or Russian? I am hoping to find like-minded people and give the children the opportunity to speak with someone else then the parent all the time. And also to be able to exchange ideas on bi- or trilingual homeschooling.

Hope to find someone :)

Christina

I'm in that area.  I don't know of any families (we're trying to learn German but it's a slow process since none of us already know it).  Have you looked at the German School in Lawrence?  They would probably be able to help you.  

Thank you Amy!

I know about the school, but since we live east of KC, its almost 2 hours one way and at this point in time not doable. Its not that I don't have German friends, but they are not quite as strict with their language use and their kids almost don't talk in the other language, even if they understand. And since theids are in public school, the English influence is very strong. Hence my wishful thinking to find a homeschooling family with similar heritage :)

Should you ever come across any family interested in maintaining their languages, please let me know :)

• Like 1

Fort Leavenworth hosts a lot of foreign adult students in its schools. There is always a representative from Germany and probably Russia (most countries are represented). If they bring kids they won't homeschool but you could meet up with native speakers. I don't know the best way to get in touch with them but I could try if you are interested. They are only here for one year before going back to their home country.

The thrift store on post has German workers. They might have ideas. They are open limited hours so if you do drive out there make sure they are open. Also if you drive to Fort Leavenworth look at the school building. The international students bring gifts and they have a nice display set up of cool things from around the world.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

Again not quite what you are looking for, but my niece is taking Russian from a native speaking tutor in the Lawrence area. (My niece was adopted from Russia and is seeking to learn her lost native language.) If it would help you to plug into a network of native speakers, I could see if my SIL feels comfortable sharing the name of the tutor, or if she has any other relevant leads. You could private message me if interested.