Menu

Teaching planning and organization skills...

Pen

Some little successes (or even problems which can be learning experiences):

1. Having ds be more responsible for his own organization for various "events" resulted initially in every single trip in past week having some important item forgotten at home, and most of which required driving back home to get them (return items for library, leash for going to dog park, water for going horseback riding, etc.)--but that has now led to making better lists, so we will see how this next week goes.

2. Today ds went over with me how much he seemed to be getting done in math per 15 minutes work. We then went through how this would translate into a year if he did 15, 30, 45, or 60 minutes per day, and how many days per week that would mean and how many days off for holidays etc..   He then made the decision on how much per day he would like to do, how many days per week in order to likely be done with the current math level by or before around this same time next year. Also helpful was that he saw that while a whole big book looks daunting, breaking it up that way, it is actually not that much per day that needs to be done and that bit by bit will add up to the whole thing getting done.

http://dyslexia.yale.edu/DYS_Student2Student.html

I received the following feedback from son's former O-G tutor:

The Great Courses DVD course "How to Become a SuperStar Student, 2nd edition, with accompanying booklet. Lectures include "Developing Effective Habits in Class," "Managing Time and Organizing Spaces," and "Taking Charge of Homework." DS could watch these DVDs along with you as the instructor is engaging. He is a former national teacher of the year. The strategies presented are very practical and concrete.

She also suggested I contact the local dyslexia school and discover whether they can recommend an educational type therapist/tutor.

Lastly, she suggested identifying what causes the lack of time management and address the specific weakness.  Is he continually distracted or off task?   Where does he complete school work? When? Does he have a set schedule of subjects to work through at set times and are breaks helpful?  Does he struggle getting back on task?  I was told to identify the issue specifically to successfully troubleshoot.....I think Smart but Scattered may have a list of questions to help identify specific weaknesses.