Menu

Need a supplement for Grammar/Punctuation, etc. Evan Moor or Daily Grams?

So, I decided to stick with CAP W&R because my daughter loves it.  She is having fun, and she loves "Writing."  To try to put her into the traditional BJU would be a huge mistake on my part.  She also LOVES WInston Grammar and so both programs are a total total win! I know that I need to buy the extra worksheets for WInston Grammar, which are not expensive.  

BUT neither program covers basic mechanics or punctuation or any word usage.  So, we need a quick, fun supplement.  

Daily Grams or Daily Language Review be better?  

One thing:  My daughter can't stand super super white pages or poor quality paper.  She has focus issues which are affected by color, and lighting as well as the usual noise, etc.  So, any experience on the paper color and quality would be appreciated.

Thank you!

So, I decided to stick with CAP W&R because my daughter loves it.  She is having fun, and she loves "Writing."  To try to put her into the traditional BJU would be a huge mistake on my part.  She also LOVES WInston Grammar and so both programs are a total total win! I know that I need to buy the extra worksheets for WInston Grammar, which are not expensive.  

BUT neither program covers basic mechanics or punctuation or any word usage.  So, we need a quick, fun supplement.  

Daily Grams or Daily Language Review be better?  

One thing:  My daughter can't stand super super white pages or poor quality paper.  She has focus issues which are affected by color, and lighting as well as the usual noise, etc.  So, any experience on the paper color and quality would be appreciated.

Thank you!

I can't help with your main question, but as to the bolded, has she ever been tested for Irlen Syndrome? Once you figure out what background color helps the most with her focus, it is easy to use a colored overlay over anything she reads.

Clear Creek- to answer your question, yes she has been tested. She doesn't actually have any syndrome but moreso, just is "sensitive" due to possible mild ADD.  for example, sensitve to preservatives, dyes, foods, senstive to detergets (we have had terrible weeping rashes from certain detergents, senstive to sound, too much change, and also, apprently senstive to light.)  Closing the blinds halfway, using natural lighting and not flourescent and avoiding super bright paper has made a HUGE difference.  

They recommended overlays, and we have them, but you can't really write on an overlay, unless you use dry erase markers.  :o)

Yeah, he recommended the tinted glasses only if she were going to be in school and would have no control over paper, and lighting.  :o) So far, none of our paper this year has been super bright white, and she is doing really well.  I can't tell from samples on CBD what the paper quality is like, but she is weird about ugly fonts and layout too.  So I think I might have to go with Daily Language review which at least has a much more pleasing aesthetic and font style.  But...Daily Grams seems a lot more thorough.

We did Easy Grammar and Evan Moor Daily Paragraph Editing. I will try to restrain my Daily Grams rant to simply saying it is not worth the money. There is virtually no instruction, making it great if the child already understands the grammar, but if they already get it, why are they doing it ?! What seems open and go, then becomes the parent explaining anything that was missed or is confusing, so you are pulled right back into the mix rather than having something that is really stand alone.

Evan Moor is much more intuitive.