Menu

Hi all,

I haven't posted in forever...This year my guys will be doing Geography for history. However, I am looking ahead for our American History year. I keep hearing that SL Core 100 just isn't enough for high school level, etc.

We previously used several years of SL and loved every moment. We kind of went back and forth in the younger grades between SL and MFW. I love how SL has divided the cores out between history & lit. 

I would appreciate your thoughts on this. We have always been more of a CMish homeschool. Thus, lit based. *I* don't mind that all of the books in Core 100 aren't too heavy. Both boys will have jobs, extra curricular activities and I do not want them overwhelmed.

I think that SL 100 is light for high school.  I also believe it is too heavy on historical fiction.  I deconstructed SL 100 and threw out about 2/3 of the booklist. I kept the Hakim series as the spine and rebuilt it.  It cannot be called Core 100 anymore, but I think it will work well.  I added in documentaries, more original source documents and replaced the poorly written historical fiction with other, better offerings.

My boys will be using this for their 8th grade year this year, and I think it will be perfect and lay a foundation for going deeper in high school.

I like SL (the older Cores, not the newer ones), and we have had some good years with SL.  It is just time to move on.

(I am glad to email my plans to you if you want to look at them.  I've shared them with several people already.)

I attempted to do the same; purchased Hakim and the instructor's guide. Unfortunately we found my MIL was terminally ill, so I enrolled DD in an online course instead.

I think that SL 100 is light for high school.  I also believe it is too heavy on historical fiction.  I deconstructed SL 100 and threw out about 2/3 of the booklist. I kept the Hakim series as the spine and rebuilt it.  It cannot be called Core 100 anymore, but I think it will work well.  I added in documentaries, more original source documents and replaced the poorly written historical fiction with other, better offerings.

My boys will be using this for their 8th grade year this year, and I think it will be perfect and lay a foundation for going deeper in high school.

I like SL (the older Cores, not the newer ones), and we have had some good years with SL.  It is just time to move on.

(I am glad to email my plans to you if you want to look at them.  I've shared them with several people already.)

I would be interested in looking at your plans. My daughter is taking a class at a co-op that is using SL 100 as a base. I would love to add a few additional books as well as some documentaries for us to watch on the weekends. 

I used SL Core 100 for ds in Jr. High and we really enjoyed it. To me, it was light for high school.

For a different perspective, you could go over to the SL boards. They have just opened them back up as free. You can discuss with people there if they feel Core 100 is light. While it is considered light here, there are many who SL through high school, get amazing ACT/SAT scores and go on very successfully to the college of their choice. There was someone on this board a year or two ago who used Core 100 and their child passed both US History CLEPs without any additional studying. 

Light is in the eye of the beholder.

My oldest dd did SL100 in 11th grade as she had missed out on doing it earlier (we only started homeschooling when she was in 8th grade). I added in SL's American History that goes with the US Govt Core and she actually did the Govt Core too (she took that as a separate Govt 1/2 credit though).

Anyway, for the actually history part all she did was 100 and for 2 weeks prior to taking the AP exam she went through a Princeton Review book. And she got a 5 on the AP exam.

I agree in comparison to some courses it is light (the one I created for my boys is MUCH meatier) and my other 3 kids did 100 in 6th or 8th grade, but it is still a solid course and probably more than most kids get in school.

Today I had lunch with a mom whose kids have all done SL through high school. Those that were college bound have CLEPed after Core 100 with no problems (Her oldest wanted nothing to do with college and joined the Marines). I think if your child enjoys the books and learns well that way, it is still a good option.

The literature is enjoyable. For those that think the book choices are too young, you can always swap out a few, but we really don't have issues with reading at various levels and we like historical fiction here. 

• 4 weeks later...

Oh, please, please, can I see your plans?  I'll pm you.  I'm actually looking at it for 8th.