Menu

Dolciani PreAlgebra Schedule Thread

Hello,

I've looked around for a Dolciani Pre-Algebra schedule, and ended up making one myself. I'm going to link it here. I'm also going to try to make it editable, so if someone would like to improve, comment or insert video links to topics, please feel free.

If you want to make substantial changes, copy/ paste/ create your own version, and link it back here for others to share.

If you've done the Pre-Algebra book, and my schedule is crazy wrong, please comment, too.

This schedule is set up assuming we will work 4 days a week, with a fifth day to catch-up and/ or to do additional logic and problem solving. Most daily assignments will be a selection of 15-25 problems I choose with focus on B, C and word problems. Our book is old and tired, so I'm just circling the selected problems right in the book. I also removed the answers and put them in page protectors in my teacher binder.

I know sometimes Dolciani gets overlooked b/c it lacks teacher resources. If anyone else is using it, maybe we can lend a little support to each other.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ac3I7aNXm0bAD4krBhMgmWFK0PDjxRYJWM_HBN8Z-ds/edit?usp=sharing

HTH

• Like 9

Which version did you use with this schedule?  Does it matter? (says the woman who owns no Dolciani books...)

An Accelerated Course: http://www.amazon.com/Pre-Algebra-An-Accelerated-Course-Dolciani/dp/039543050X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1408567449&sr=8-1&keywords=prealgebra+dolciani

Cover is the same as the 1992 edition. I did not pay $20 + shipping... more like $8 shipped. Prices seem pretty high right now.

An Accelerated Course: http://www.amazon.com/Pre-Algebra-An-Accelerated-Course-Dolciani/dp/039543050X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1408567449&sr=8-1&keywords=prealgebra+dolciani

Cover is the same as the 1992 edition. I did not pay $20 + shipping... more like $8 shipped. Prices seem pretty high right now.

Thanks!  I'm in planning mode, and this info (and the nice schedule) were very helpful.  :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Thanks, we are just going to start next week on either this or Lial's.  Either way, scheduling is definitely an issue.  We are doing a 5 day week thouhg, since my son already missed more than a month of work on whatever book we end up using.  But I can still use yours as a guide.  Did you choose 2 days for particular topics because they are longer?  What was your criteria for that?

Thanks again.

Yabbut...it's only the first half of the year that came out right?

Other half will be out in time for second half of year if you are starting now. Maria's been pretty good about sticking to projected release dates. We'll be adding in CTC Discovering Geometry and Zaccaro's Real World Algebra, so lots to do in the unlikely event of delay.

• Like 2

Wait, is there no solution manual out there at all? I thought they were just rare.

The copy I have at least has the answer key for the odd (or is it the even?) problems in the back of the book.

I've been playing with the idea of one of my ds trying Dolciani at the end of the year, thus the cheap used copy on my shelf. But I'm not sure. I may really need an solutions manual. Sigh. There are too many pre-algebra options. I get now why there's that giant thread.

Wait, is there no solution manual out there at all? I thought they were just rare.

The copy I have at least has the answer key for the odd (or is it the even?) problems in the back of the book.

I've been playing with the idea of one of my ds trying Dolciani at the end of the year, thus the cheap used copy on my shelf. But I'm not sure. I may really need an solutions manual. Sigh. There are too many pre-algebra options. I get now why there's that giant thread.

For practical purposes, the solutions don't really exist. The last copy I saw ran about $100. For many, the odd answers are enough. It would be nice if there a classics edition Dolciani like they've done with Forester.
  • Like 1

No solution manual for this, correct? Lawyer mom is going to have to stick with Lial's for that reason (though I do love your schedules and thank you for posting!)

Does this solve your problem?

Can't get the link to work but check out photo math app. I just saw a video about it. I don't know if it works personally but it might solve the problem.

• 2 months later...

Yes- the schedule is a week per line. I allowed two days for some topics- noted directly after the lesson number- because there was more to cover or the problem set was more varied. It's set up as a four day a week schedule, but it breaks out over a year, so you may need the fifth day each week to cover everything depending on how quickly your student works, or if you want the day for logic or competition math.

FYI--

There is a teacher's edition for pre-algebra. It has the answers for all of the problems as well as two schedules (a core course schedule and an enriched course sschedule).

I kept searching on the used book sellers sites, and I bought a TE for about $75 including shipping. I think it is worth it considering what I would spend on other curricula to be used for all of my kids.

FYI--

There is a teacher's edition for pre-algebra. It has the answers for all of the problems as well as two schedules (a core course schedule and an enriched course sschedule).

I kept searching on the used book sellers sites, and I bought a TE for about $75 including shipping. I think it is worth it considering what I would spend on other curricula to be used for all of my kids.

Does it have solutions? It wouldn't be necessary here, but some need solutions in addition to answers.

Can you tell me more about what sorts of things are in the enriched schedule?

The core and enriched schedules both have 160 days.  The core schedule assigns more of the basic, easier problems.  The enriched schedule assigns less easier problems are more of the difficult problems.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I assigned odds, and spread that particular assignment over two days- designated with (2 days) . I always aimed for a selection of no more than 25 problems a day. I don't have the book handy, but if is still more than 25 each day, drop mostly from the A section or save the most challenging problems for the fifth day.

HTH!

What is the ISBN for the teacher's edition? The one I see is $130!

0-395-35988-0  hardcover, 1985 copyright

It has all the answers (which I assumed would be enough); we're trying to decide between Dolciani, continuing with Singapore's Dimensions 7/8, or AoPS. I happened to see the book cheap and ordered it - I thought I saw a couple of others at the time, so maybe it is something that comes and goes?

0-395-35988-0 hardcover, 1985 copyright

It has all the answers (which I assumed would be enough); we're trying to decide between Dolciani, continuing with Singapore's Dimensions 7/8, or AoPS. I happened to see the book cheap and ordered it - I thought I saw a couple of others at the time, so maybe it is something that comes and goes?

Thanks. It's now $240!?! If you decide against using Dolciani, I'll buy your TE!