Menu

Example sentences for "homeschool" at dictionary.com

Kathryn

Have you seen this?

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/homeschool

Example sentences:

If you wish to teach your children such nonsense, then homeschool where lame propaganda can remain unchallenged.

If she can't find anyone willing to validate her helicopter parenting, she'll homeschool.

If you want to keep your kids from reality and turn them into mindless automaton copies of yourself, homeschool them.

Hit the "down" arrow and the other sentences appear. The full list is...

• The kits are also available through school and homeschool suppliers, and toy and gift catalogs.
  • So this year, along with our other homeschool subjects, we've been doing a unit on food.
  • Parents may homeschool their children for a number of reasons.
  • In order to homeschool, parents may need to dedicate a significant amount of time to schooling their children.
  • If you wish to teach your children such nonsense, then homeschool where lame propaganda can remain unchallenged.
  • If she can't find anyone willing to validate her helicopter parenting, she'll homeschool.
  • If you want to keep your kids from reality and turn them into mindless automaton copies of yourself, homeschool them.

I dont have an account there and have never tried, but I'm pretty sure users can submit example sentences for words, and I'm also pretty sure that you can report unacceptable example sentences.

From my email to dictionary.com ...

I was appalled at three of the sentences your website uses as examples of how to use "homeschool" in a sentence:

If you wish to teach your children such nonsense, then homeschool where lame propaganda can remain unchallenged.
If she can't find anyone willing to validate her helicopter parenting, she'll homeschool.
If you want to keep your kids from reality and turn them into mindless automaton copies of yourself, homeschool them.
The other three sentences are much less offensive and are more appropriate for a website that professes as part of its mission statement that its goals are to "Do the right thing" and "Foster respect":

The kits are also available through school and
homeschool
suppliers, and toy and gift catalogs.
So this year, along with our other
homeschool
subjects, we've been doing a unit on food.
Parents may
homeschool
their children for a number of reasons.
In order to
homeschool
, parents may need to dedicate a significant amount of time to schooling their children.

I respectfully request that you delete the three offensive examples from your website. Thank you.

edited because the browser messed up the formatting ... if it's still messed up, I'll just leave it ...

These are the four I see. I don't think any of them are particularly illustrative.

Example sentences
The kits are also available through school and homeschool  suppliers, and toy and gift catalogs.
If she can't find anyone willing to validate her helicopter parenting, she'll homeschool .
If you want to keep your kids from reality and turn them into mindless automaton copies of yourself, homeschool  them.
So this year, along with our other homeschool  subjects, we've been doing a unit on food.

Here is what the online OED shows, just for comparison:

home-school, v.
Pronunciation:  Brit. /ˈhəʊmËŒskuËl/ , U.S. /ˈhoÊŠmËŒskul/
Etymology:  < home n.1 + school v.1, after home school n. 
Educ.

trans. To educate (a child, esp. one's own) in the home. Also intr.

1981   Christian Sci. Monitor (Midwestern ed.) (Nexis) 9 Apr. b23   Many believe their children could score well on college entrance exams... Many parents, in fact, think the novelty of being home-schooled may work in their favor.
1984   Daily Tel. 9 Feb. 17/5,   I home-schooled the children for six months,..until all three started school in September.
1992   R. H. Limbaugh Way Things ought to Be xxv. 276   Parents are fed up and worried, so much so that many are now home-schooling their kids.
1997   Christian Order Mar. 187   You don't have to be a qualified teacher to homeschool.
2001   J. Franzen Corrections 49   My parents have always been my best friends. They homeschooled me till seventh grade.

I now see these:

Examples for homeschool

The kits are also available through school and homeschool suppliers, and toy and gift catalogs.

So this year, along with our other homeschool subjects, we've been doing a unit on food.

Parents may homeschool their children for a number of reasons.

In order to homeschool, parents may need to dedicate a significant amount of time to schooling their children.

What conventions have you people been going to? I have never purchased a whip at a convention and now I feel like I'm missing something. Seriously, I've been going to the wrong ones. I've only been able to find large wood spoons and paddles. But, a whip is so much cooler. :coolgleamA:

What conventions have you people been going to? I have never purchased a whip at a convention and now I feel like I'm missing something. Seriously, I've been going to the wrong ones. I've only been able to find large wood spoons and paddles. But, a whip is so much cooler. :coolgleamA:

I haven't been to a convention in years, but given this new information, I might have to start going to them again...

I received a response from dictionary.com:

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We value the homeschooling community and education in all forms. These example sentences have been removed because they do not meet our editorial standards. Our 1,605,969 example sentences have been pulled programmatically from reputable publications online over the course of the last ten years, and our lexicographers are constantly reviewing them to ensure that our site is a reference source of the highest quality. As a small team, we appreciate you bringing this issue to our attention so that we could quickly fix this situation.

Would you be able to share with us where you first discovered this issue? We would like to inform them of this change also.

Sincerely,

Evelyn
Community Support
Dictionary.com

And I just checked; the objectionable sentences weren't listed anymore.

Interestingly the corp that owns Dictionary dot com also own OkCupid which has been in the news lately for performing psychological experiments on their members:

http://www.vnews.com/news/nation/world/13068144-95/okcupid-used-its-daters-as-lab-rats-and-thats-ok

Hmm, makes me wonder about the reason behind the "where did you hear about this" question ... :huh:

Aw, that's nothing. Did you ever see the definition of "The Well-Trained Mind Forum" on Urban Dictionary?!!!

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Well-Trained+Mind+Forum

Man, I guess I missed all the Obama bashing, whip comparing, anti-atheists threads :huh: I must be better at avoiding the drama than I thought. ;)

#wtmcrazies#

#whipsforsale#

#obamathealien#

The first time I read this, I thought it said, "The KILTS are also available through school and homeschool suppliers..."

I need to go to bed.

They should sell them alongside the whips at the conventions. Kilts plus whips....hmmmm. Could make for interesting teA time, bwahaha. I might need to start going to these conventions after all.

The first time I read this, I thought it said, "The KILTS are also available through school and homeschool suppliers..."

I need to go to bed.

That is how I read it as well. Clearly, I spend way too much time here.

They were for sale, and indeed recommended in the keynote speech, at the only homeschool convention I ever attended.

L

Oh wow. Are you serious or joking? Wow. Just wow.

Absolutely serious.  It was a homeschool conference held in Hong Kong in 2003.  Most of the people attending were American missionaries working illegally in China.  The keynote speech was about 'discipline in the homeschool'.  The use of whips was specifically advocated, as was the name of the company that supplied them.  The speaker talked about how right it was that he whipped his teenage daughter even though she begged for mercy.  His wife was right there agreeing with him.

Unfortunately I have changed email since then, and I can't find the email of protest I sent afterwards.  The organiser later agreed that the speech had been 'misjudged'.

Now I come to think of it, I don't think the whips were actually for sale there - the speaker had one, and gave purchase information.

L

It's been all over a fb homeschool group I am in, a husband sent an email to the hosts of that page about the outrage over teh sentences and since then the new ones have been showing up.  Since it is regular people that post them I think the more positive ones were added by homeschoolers as they saw that page because initially none of the "good" ones were there

Absolutely serious.  It was a homeschool conference held in Hong Kong in 2003.  Most of the people attending were American missionaries working illegally in China.  The keynote speech was about 'discipline in the homeschool'.  The use of whips was specifically advocated, as was the name of the company that supplied them.  The speaker talked about how right it was that he whipped his teenage daughter even though she begged for mercy.  His wife was right there agreeing with him.

Unfortunately I have changed email since then, and I can't find the email of protest I sent afterwards.  The organiser later agreed that the speech had been 'misjudged'.

Now I come to think of it, I don't think the whips were actually for sale there - the speaker had one, and gave purchase information.

L

Sounds like the parenting course I took at the church I attended back in the city.  I loved this church, so when they offered a parenting course I jumped at the chance to take it, I was having a really rough go with the kids (it was pre-diagnosis for 3 of the kids).  I had never heard of the Ezzos, 'nuff said.  A whole chapter on how to pick the right switch, where you could buy the right one and how to use it on kids of all ages including infants.  I was disgusted and appalled. and after the church leaders running the course defended it's use when I argued that it was abuse I could never look at the church the same way again.  We stopped going and then we moved.  I have not attended a church since, first because of this then just due to logistics, but there was no way I was going to support a place that taught it was okay to switch babies/children.  These we not homeschoolers but I can absolutely see a faction of homeschoolers going with the spare the rod business and taking that to mean using a whip.  Because we all know Christ advocated for the whipping of little children *eyeroll*  The whipping is not what gives homeschooling a bad name, it is what gives Christians a bad name and immediately puts people on edge when they hear the words "biblical discipline"

Sounds like the parenting course I took at the church I attended back in the city.  I loved this church, so when they offered a parenting course I jumped at the chance to take it, I was having a really rough go with the kids (it was pre-diagnosis for 3 of the kids).  I had never heard of the Ezzos, 'nuff said.  A whole chapter on how to pick the right switch, where you could buy the right one and how to use it on kids of all ages including infants.  I was disgusted and appalled. and after the church leaders running the course defended it's use when I argued that it was abuse I could never look at the church the same way again.  We stopped going and then we moved.  I have not attended a church since, first because of this then just due to logistics, but there was no way I was going to support a place that taught it was okay to switch babies/children.  These we not homeschoolers but I can absolutely see a faction of homeschoolers going with the spare the rod business and taking that to mean using a whip.  Because we all know Christ advocated for the whipping of little children *eyeroll*  The whipping is not what gives homeschooling a bad name, it is what gives Christians a bad name and immediately puts people on edge when they hear the words "biblical discipline"

Ezzo, Ezzo, Ezzo....don't get me started.  I think I mentioned in a thread once that the worst parenting advice ever given to me was given by the mom of two young kids.  She was an Ezzo fan  :banghead:

I don't care deeply, but frankly the sentences don't really help to define homeschooling except to clearly infer that homeschooling is something crazy done by crazy people.

There are days I think I'm crazy for choosing homeschooling.  Does that count?

Is it common to whip children in Hong Kong? I ask because I have seen people selling whip-like things on the street when visiting my in-laws; once my husband pointed it out to me, but I totally didn't know what it was. I guess people like to keep them around the house, even if they don't use them, just as some implied threat? Not really sure. But it's got zero to do with homeschooling.

And it's one thing if it's people in their own culture, talking about common behavior. But American missionaries? That's rather odd. The whole thing is disturbing. 

No wonder you never went to another convention.

Is it common to whip children in Hong Kong? I ask because I have seen people selling whip-like things on the street when visiting my in-laws; once my husband pointed it out to me, but I totally didn't know what it was. I guess people like to keep them around the house, even if they don't use them, just as some implied threat? Not really sure. But it's got zero to do with homeschooling.

And it's one thing if it's people in their own culture, talking about common behavior. But American missionaries? That's rather odd. The whole thing is disturbing. 

No wonder you never went to another convention.

All of those attending the convention were American, Australian or European.  The speakers were all also expatriates.  There were no Hong Kong Chinese at the conference.  The keynote speech had everything to do with a certain strand of homeschooling culture.

ETA: the whip supplier was overseas as well.

L