Menu

My geography curriculum is finished!

jenn&charles

I’ve been in a frenzy working on my geography curriculum and am happy to announce that it’s finished! I may still add new materials as I come across them or tweak a little this or that, but it’s ready-to-go for those of you who would like to use it.

http://www.guesthollow.com/homeschool/geography/geography.html

Let me know if any of you have any suggestions / feedback, etc.

geography.jpg

Wait a minute! You were too busy canning all those peaches! How did you find the time to finish two huge projects in one week? More to the point, where did you find the energy?

Stop doing so much, Jenn! You're making the rest of us look bad. :D

Thank you for sharing your great curriculum with us. As usual, it looks terrific. :)

Thanks for sharing this - what a nice resource!

I've picked and pulled from a number of these resources you've listed, I have some of these books and get others from the library.

I am adding the history pockets this year for my 2nd and 3rd grader, and I love the world map you had linked.

We are going to do our first few lapbooks this year, I got a few from CurrClick's sale (more than we needed), and will check these out as well.

Not that I need another curriculum to print off and get ready, I'll be checking it out more thoroughly over the weekend.

I feel this is an area we always need to do more in, and this will help me get it done a little easier.

The photos of the American History projects looks fun!

I'll be adding some along the way of SOTW as we get there.

Fun stuff! :hurray:

Thankyou, thank you, thank you. I will be starting this as soon as I can get the things together. I'm dumping formal history as it is too much for my kids and going with this instead. It looks so fun. I'm going to use it with all three of my kids but add in some lighter things for my 5 yo.

Can't wait.

Wait a minute! You were too busy canning all those peaches! How did you find the time to finish two huge projects in one week? More to the point, where did you find the energy?

Stop doing so much, Jenn! You're making the rest of us look bad. :D

Thank you for sharing your great curriculum with us. As usual, it looks terrific. :)

LOL...I'm not sure where the energy came from. It was more of a "gotta get it done" thing so I just pushed through. ;-) I think the geography curriculum is a new record for me though... it took me 5 days to put together working from the morning until about 7 p.m. every evening. Makes me think I should put more things like that together and post them. I've got the curriculum making groove down, lol.

I think the next one I want to make is a science curriculum for little kids - something like water/land/air. Or famous scientists and their discoveries or???? We'll see. Right now I'm going to focus on trying to get my book finished and all of the curriculum I want to create for it (it's about the seasons with a bit of geography and culture thrown in).

I STILL have peaches to deal with and I've been canning most of today. It's getting ooooooooooooooold! Someone please come and finish them! It's 8:26 p.m. and I'm still waiting for a last batch to finish....UGH. I think I'll make Otter cook dinner tonight. I don't want to even LOOK at that kitchen.

Anyway, thanks for the curriculum love...makes me feel all warm and fuzzy...oh, wait, that's just a piece of peach...  :p

Thankyou, thank you, thank you. I will be starting this as soon as I can get the things together. I'm dumping formal history as it is too much for my kids and going with this instead. It looks so fun. I'm going to use it with all three of my kids but add in some lighter things for my 5 yo.

Can't wait.

If you want, you can share some of the things you come up with for the 5 yo. I could add them in for everyone else with a younger kiddo (when I have the time). :-)

I love the Guest Hollow banner. 

Thank you!!

Do you mean the one on the website or the one for the geography? The one on the website has part of a scene from my new book and is all hand-drawn by me. I'm having to learn a LOT in that dept. though as I'm entirely self-taught and don't really know what I'm doing. It's more of bumbling around and probably taking 20 times longer than I should to come up with what I do. It makes me happy though!

Which would you recommend for sixth graders? Would I get two books or one? Can you link your website?

I have twins.

Alley

Sorry...I'm probably being dense but when you ask what would I recommend - what do you mean specifically?... and which book are you referring to?

Here's a link to my website:

http://www.guesthollow.com/

Thank you!!

Do you mean the one on the website or the one for the geography? The one on the website has part of a scene from my new book and is all hand-drawn by me. I'm having to learn a LOT in that dept. though as I'm entirely self-taught and don't really know what I'm doing. It's more of bumbling around and probably taking 20 times longer than I should to come up with what I do. It makes me happy though!

That is amazing. I love your style. What new book? And with the geography, did it take the place of history the year you taught it?

That is amazing. I love your style. What new book? And with the geography, did it take the place of history the year you taught it?

Thanks so much for the compliment about my style. It's taking me awhile to perfect it and make something that is consistent (and recognizable as something *I* did) but it's coming along.

The book is about the seasons. I don't have a title for it yet, but I have all of the text written and have about 11 pages illustrated. It will be about 47 pages long (counting the title and end pages, etc.) It's a mix of a comic book style and text and features a homeschooled family (Abigail is the big sister, Henry is the younger brother and Grace is the adopted itty bitty sister - oh, and there is a dog Beowulf (who is a fox terrier and based on a real dog I had as a child).

Here is page spread (rough draft) that I pasted in another thread. You can see that I used Beowulf in my geography banner, lol.

seasonsbook.jpg

I love mixing topics, so while this book is heavy on science, it also features a bit of geography and cultures. I'm going to make some curriculum to go with it that can be purchased and downloaded on my site. The book itself will be sold on Amazon in both print and e-book formats.

And yes, when I taught geography, it took the place of history that year. We covered bits of history via the countries we studied. It was a really worthwhile year and I almost wish I had another little one to do it all over again with (ALMOST wish, lol...).

I really love everything you share. Thank you, Jenn. The new geography lesson plans look exciting. You have a neat mix of resources. I was stuck looking at the Buried Alive book about the miners in Chile when I was suppose to be making dinner. Amazing story. Lots of books requested from the library already.

Thank you!!

The one on the web site. It just feels comforting to look at. I wish I could be in that scene.

I can't believe you're self-taught!

I hope I'm not being too forward, but I kind of love you! :)

We used your American history last year when we gave up on BF, and I plan on using your site to supplement SotW 1 this year. I will probably use this at some point too. I only wish this was around when we did our year of world geography. You are seriously awesome! Thank you!

If you want, you can share some of the things you come up with for the 5 yo. I could add them in for everyone else with a younger kiddo (when I have the time). :-)

Sure, I can do that. I'm not as speedy as you though...I'm only half way through figuring it out. Was thinking of adding them to my blog as I went along but I can send you a list once I'm done as I'm planning on doing the curriculum over 2 weeks for each country and I'm sure you don't want it in 2 weekly installments LOL.

If it's not going to be a cupcake, it'd better be tuna oatmeal!

Seriously, though, thanks for sharing all your work.

I wish it was a cupcake...We actually have a new bakery in town that makes delicious cupcakes. Last week my husband went there and bought me a mini-black forest cake with real whipped cream and now you've made me want another one. ;-)

Sure, I can do that. I'm not as speedy as you though...I'm only half way through figuring it out. Was thinking of adding them to my blog as I went along but I can send you a list once I'm done as I'm planning on doing the curriculum over 2 weeks for each country and I'm sure you don't want it in 2 weekly installments LOL.

Thanks! Just send it to me whenever it works for you. I'll have to go check out your blog. :-)

I am in the middle of planning my 7th graders geography course and came on here to ask about travel videos. The Globe Trekker ones look like they will do nicely and I appreciate you "previewing" them for us. Thank you for sharing all your hard work!

Just letting you know we didn't watch ALL of them though, so be careful. They are great videos and my kids loved them, but there are a few that feature nudity (like one on France - I think ...and possibly some others). They also sometimes feature things I don't necessarily want to promote (like drinking alcohol or whatever) but we watched the shows together so I could comment on things as they came up. I found it helpful to look at the comments on Amazon. Usually people will remark if a particular episode features something outrageous that is better skipped...I don't think there are a lot of them like that though. 

Another good option are the Rick Steve videos (if you can stand his dorkiness). He visits a lot of places and often gets to go inside people's houses, etc. so you really get a feel for a place and the people that live there through some of his shows.

Thank you!

My 8 year old is a geography buff and I'm trying to find him an appropriate program, but it's hard to get a feel just looking at Amazon/RR descriptions. 

And it's not 10 years old so all the links will be fresh!!  :laugh: