Menu

4th grade literature list needed

bethben

As I'm getting all my ducks in a row for next year, I realized that one of the goals I have for my 4th grader is to expose him to some nice literature and try to get him interested in reading books other than comic books.  I have Tapestry of Grace literature sheets, but I'm not sure I want to have him complete them (or even have history related books for that matter) since my goal is to just get him reading good literature.  Are there any good literature lists for boys for 4th/5th grade?  Even books like "The Great Brain" would be acceptable. 

Beth

I'm not someone who does the grade level thing so I can't answer it from that angle, but I have found this website to be useful.  If you got to it and look at the left side of the page, you can see a list of different children's book awards. http://www.ala.org/alsc/awardsgrants/bookmedia  I printed all of the lists out and put them in a 3 ring binder so it's handy when I need high quality children's literature to choose from.

I gave myself this same task for my rising 5th grade DS coming back home again after a year away at a private school. I found ideas on various curriculum websites like Memoria Press, Veritas Press, Sonlight, Kolbe, etc. I looked at study guides for books listed under grades 4-6 on websites like Progeny Press, Blackbird & Co. , Moving Beyond the Page, Novel Units and Total language Plus. I thought about books I read and enjoyed during grades 4-6 as well.

One thing I did though was really consider my DS's personality and what may engage HIM rather than what would just fulfill a "list" even though I also want him exposed to quality literature of course. I decided to have my DS study in depth 6 novels this year to complement other literature studies we are doing (a unit on American Tall Tales for example). I made a list of twelve titles from all my choices and added a synopsis of each book. To encourage "buy in" from my DS I had him select and rank the top six books he wanted to read from that list of twelve. I told him that we would do three or four of his choices and that I would pick the remaining 2-3 from that list ( a joint effort). He is SO excited about literature this year !

Oh, and my son LOVED The Great Brain last year in 4th grade! He even got through many of the sequels. That would be a great one for your list!

Hope that helps.