Menu

I am a YNAB failure!

ScoutTN

Ok, I thought I could do this but I can't. I cannot keep up with the data entry! I don't thoroughly understand how the program works, despite watching several tutorials. I don't have hours and hours to sit and try to figure this out. Not at all intuitive for me.I don't think I can undo the mistakes I have already made.

I may be going back to a paper budget and envelopes, though that doesn't work so well for us either, since we do so much on our debit card. 

Anyone have a better idea?

Am I the only one who cannot operate what seems to be fairly straightforward program? I am just a tech-dummy. :sad:  :banghead:  

Attend one of the free getting started webinars. It is only one hour, and at the end you will be thoroughly familiar with how the program operates. Plus, it is interactive so you can ask all the questions you want.

Then go into YNAB and under File select Make a Fresh Start and begin a new budget with all your mistakes erased :001_smile:

We use cash for groceries and eating out.

Checks for other stuff.

Whatever category you buy the most in, use cash for that.  The rest, is written out of the checkbook.

The main thing with budgeting is to manage your money ahead of time before the month starts.

Using cash for our shopping stuff helps us keep in the budgeted amount.

Attend one of the free getting started webinars. It is only one hour, and at the end you will be thoroughly familiar with how the program operates. Plus, it is interactive so you can ask all the questions you want.

Then go into YNAB and under File select Make a Fresh Start and begin a new budget with all your mistakes erased :001_smile:

Thanks for the encouragement! Maybe I will try again. I have done the webinar and watched several of the others instructional videos. Still can't make it work.

• 4 weeks later...

I love YNAB.  Use it faithfully, though in the past month I stopped due to having reduced time on the computer and moving in-laws in with us.

I just did a fresh start, simply entering budget amounts, it is fairly intuitive.  What do you think is the trouble?

Feel free to pm me, I'm no YNAB pro but I did start and stop and finally pushed through the "fog" and have had great success with it.