Menu

Craft fair attendees and crafters- advice wanted

jenn-

I was thinking about signing up for one of the local craft fairs coming up in October.  This one is part of a city's cotton festival, so not strictly craft fair people show up.  I primarily crochet as a craft.  I can sew, but I don't think I could justly sell that stuff (usually as I hand the gift over I am telling people not to look too closely at the seams...lol).  As this is a cotton festival, I have been primarily working with cotton yarn so far as I build up a small inventory.

My main question is, would you stick to one or two types of items and make sure you have a lot of them to sell, or produce a wide variety of items even if it means you might not have as much stock?  Right now I have been making cotton wash clothes in 2 different sizes and patterns and a dish scrubby thing.  I do have 1 baby blanket in the works and several hats sitting in a bin that can be sold.  Should I keep up with just the wash clothes or branch out and try a few other things.  I have a purse that has been requested several times by friends that doesn't take too long to crochet (but sewing in the lining can be a butt).

As a purchaser, which do you prefer to see, variety or specializing?  As a seller, what have you found to be more successful?

it depends.

while variety can be good - if you have a *very* popular item, lots of them in different colors/patterns can be good.

eta: with cotton washcloths - I'd make other things too.

Thanks for the help.  I'm not really sure what will/is a very popular item.  As a crocheter myself, every time I have gone to a booth with crocheted items I walk away thinking "I can make that."  That's my fear with something as simple looking as a washcloth.  I am trying out some patterns that are still fairly easy to make, but still look a little more complicated then they really are.

What I have seen work well is to have a small number of specialty / more expensive items (blanket, purse) and lots of the less expensive items. It makes it easier to stage your booth/table in an appealing way, and draws people in.

Just my 2 cents.

That makes complete sense.  I am going to see how long it takes to whip up a purse or at least the crocheted part.  I will probably collect several finished bodies before attempting to line them.  Blankets bore me soo much, but I might be able to buckle down and get a couple finished.  That is why I bought those clearanced one pounders that I swore I would never work with again after all (it usually has lots of knots in the ball).

Can you use your skills to make "popular" stuff, like American Girl doll clothes and accessories?

This is a great idea.  I will look up some patterns and see if I can make up some Dolly and Me sets.

Since it's in October, I would make pumpkiny or fall things.  So branch out.  There are cute crocheted pumpkin hats and pumpkin booties and such like.  I am a big fan of seasonal items.  I love table runners.  Ooh, a pumpkin doily for the end table....

I was leery about doing something seasonal, but I do have some chunky orange yarn that needs a project.  The orange is more a harvest orange so people could use it for Thanksgiving as well.  Doilies usually use crochet thread and tiny hooks that my clumsy fingers are no good at.  Thanks for the suggestion though.

I was leery about doing something seasonal, but I do have some chunky orange yarn that needs a project. The orange is more a harvest orange so people could use it for Thanksgiving as well. Doilies usually use crochet thread and tiny hooks that my clumsy fingers are no good at. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Maybe consider putting up some decoration or other visual "reminder" that Christmas is just around the corner...

When dh did a craft booth last October he put up a mini Christmas tree and hung little doodads on it. And people responded "great idea for a gift/stocking stuffer".

Maybe consider putting up some decoration or other visual "reminder" that Christmas is just around the corner...

When dh did a craft booth last October he put up a mini Christmas tree and hung little doodads on it. And people responded "great idea for a gift/stocking stuffer".

That's a great idea.  My sister has a small tree that maybe I could borrow.

Just giving this a bump for more ideas for Jenn! :)

Thanks!