Menu

Treasured Conversations, 8FilltheHeart's new writing program,......

needs a dedicated thread!

Did you guys see that there are samples now?

http://www.treasuredconversations.com/

Who all is planning on ordering Friday? I didn't realize the extent of the grammar, it looks like it will be a great all in one program. I'm trying to figure out what curriculum I can sell to make this mine. I'm anxiously awaiting details. Will there be separate student books? What formats will be available? Price?

eta: The site is LIVE now and ready for orders!

• Like 14

I just went through all the samples LOVE it! I love the way it is wrote. I love the format. I love the info for the teacher and how it holds your hand. I think it will be a HUGE help to a lot of moms and I'm going to be linking the finished product to our local group.

• Like 1

Well, I am dying of embarrassment b/c my dh is building the site after a complete fiasco with a web designer!  (it was rather pathetic and she wanted to charge a small fortune!)  Well, you all know how I have posted about my extremely poor spellers--my poor sons come by it honestly!  He misspelled grammar on the website!  Jeepers!   I haven't had the opportunity to proofread what else he did last night, so please remember the site is under construction and I am technologically impaired!! :)  (And he isn't here.  I was lucky enough to catch him in his office this morning.  Anything else will probably have to wait until he gets home tonight.)

• Like 26

Morgan and I did some beta testing with the first (grammar) section of the program and I helped to proofread the rest, so I can provide some perspective, maybe, and save 8's blushes a bit! Anyway, I'm glad to share what I think if anybody has specific questions.  I've rearranged all my grammar and writing plans for the year to make space for doing this program! I'm really looking forward to spending the year with it, it will help get Morgan to exactly where I wanted her to be with writing by the end of 3rd grade.

I love the explanation of the philosophy behind the program on the welcome page.  Read that, and if it resonates with you, this program will make you very happy.  8 has said this elsewhere, but I wanted to reiterate: this is not a program you can hand to your child and have them do independently!! You will sit beside them and have a conversation about the material.  You'll talk about grammar, about sentences, word choice, about paragraphs and main ideas.  They will ID parts of speech, they will do copywork, they will write outlines and paragraphs.  But it is *not* independent! It relies on the interaction - the conversation - between the teacher and the student.  So go in expecting that, and you will be very pleased!  But don't expect to hand it off and have the kid just learn from the book.

• Like 11

I know, right?????  ;)  :D

Word. Although I'm wondering, from the samples, if this couldn't be used successfully with my 2E daughter (dyslexic, with serious written expression issues). I *love* the section on note taking and reports. I'm curious if she would be willing to share what grammar is covered in the program (I didn't see a table of contents on the site).

I already have CAP Narrative, but I would really rather NOT have to buy 4 programs to last a year, just to get her to the point of being able to write multiple paragraph reports/essays. <----- that's what CAP is coming down to, I fear.

Well, I am dying of embarrassment b/c my dh is building the site after a complete fiasco with a web designer!  (it was rather pathetic and she wanted to charge a small fortune!)  Well, you all know how I have posted about my extremely poor spellers--my poor sons come by it honestly!  He misspelled grammar on the website!  Jeepers!   I haven't had the opportunity to proofread what else he did last night, so please remember the site is under construction and I am technically impaired!! :)  (And he isn't here.  I was lucky enough to catch him in his office this morning.  Anything else will probably have to wait until he gets home tonight.)

It looks like you got the typos fixed already.

TBH I thought you had a professional do it because it looks so nice. Your dh did an excellent job and I'm very impressed. I know you were worried about being able to get it out there and looking good but I'm beyond thrilled so far. 

• Like 3

Responding to AimeeM:

Well, I am using W&R, as you know, and I really like  it, but here's the thing . . . it really doesn't spend much time teaching either outlining or paragraph construction.  Outlining of stories is done. briefly, in Narrative 2, but I haven't seen anything on nonfiction outlining yet.  And paragraphs is done, briefly, in Chrei, and then you dive right into writing 6-paragraph essays.  I've loved those last two books as behind-level fun writing for my rising 7th grader, but I look at them, and the progression, and I don't see my rising 3rd grader as being able to sail right through the W&R books without additional instruction and practice, specifically in outlining, paragraph construction, and note-taking for writing reports.  I can only assume that in the classrooms that use W&R, they are doing additional practice with those skills, I can't see what is in the books being enough to teach those skills from scratch.

This is why I'm so jazzed about TC - it specifically hits those skills at an appropriate level for kids who are just learning to write independent paragraphs and reports.  It's not something I'd consider using for my 7th grader, she's beyond that stage and doesn't need that kind of step by step scaffolding.  YMMV, though, and it might be helpful for your situation with a 2E kid.  The report writing section is just great.

Just a comment about how this would fit into the WWE/WWS progression,, too - it would definitely prepare a kid for the type of writing that you do in WWS.  One of the weaknesses in WWS, IMO, is that it doesn't teach note taking from the beginning, it has the student write from provided notes.  I don't like this, because I think writing is an extension of thinking, and unless the kid has read, and digested the material and taken their own notes, it's hard for them to write about it well and thoughtfully.  I like how TC teaches a kid to read, take notes, and write on their own.  A kid who had mastered those skills would be able to apply them to WWS - read and take their own notes - and would be more able to benefit from the Logic-level stuff WWS has you doing.  (WWS does do an excellent job of teaching outlining, btw).

• Like 8

This actually is exactly what I needed to know. I'm just not sure that CAP will help prepare DD for where she needs to be, if in a couple of years she wants to try the rather rigorous Catholic high school (and that IS her plan right now).

At the moment, cohesive paragraphs are a huge struggle for her.

Just so that I know I'm reading correctly - did you say that you believe this program would prepare a child for WWS? If I used this with my 7th grader (probably ramped up, as the grammar looks light for her, and I think she's solid on sentences), she may be ready for WWS by the following year (or second semester)?

Honestly, this looks better than CAP, for our specific needs, which is why I'm full of questions, lol. I feel like, with CAP, I would have to juggle through several books, to hit the points that Autumn needs to work on, because it feels like each book only really focuses on one or two things.

Speaking of the grammar - what type of grammar does this get into? Does it go beyond basic nouns, verbs, and adverbs?

Responding to AimeeM:

Well, I am using W&R, as you know, and I really like  it, but here's the thing . . . it really doesn't spend much time teaching either outlining or paragraph construction.  Outlining of stories is done. briefly, in Narrative 2, but I haven't seen anything on nonfiction outlining yet.  And paragraphs is done, briefly, in Chrei, and then you dive right into writing 6-paragraph essays.  I've loved those last two books as behind-level fun writing for my rising 7th grader, but I look at them, and the progression, and I don't see my rising 3rd grader as being able to sail right through the W&R books without additional instruction and practice, specifically in outlining, paragraph construction, and note-taking for writing reports.  I can only assume that in the classrooms that use W&R, they are doing additional practice with those skills, I can't see what is in the books being enough to teach those skills from scratch.

This is why I'm so jazzed about TC - it specifically hits those skills at an appropriate level for kids who are just learning to write independent paragraphs and reports.  It's not something I'd consider using for my 7th grader, she's beyond that stage and doesn't need that kind of step by step scaffolding.  YMMV, though, and it might be helpful for your situation with a 2E kid.  The report writing section is just great.

Just a comment about how this would fit into the WWE/WWS progression,, too - it would definitely prepare a kid for the type of writing that you do in WWS.  One of the weaknesses in WWS, IMO, is that it doesn't teach note taking from the beginning, it has the student write from provided notes.  I don't like this, because I think writing is an extension of thinking, and unless the kid has read, and digested the material and taken their own notes, it's hard for them to write about it well and thoughtfully.  I like how TC teaches a kid to read, take notes, and write on their own.  A kid who had mastered those skills would be able to apply them to WWS - read and take their own notes - and would be more able to benefit from the Logic-level stuff WWS has you doing.  (WWS does do an excellent job of teaching outlining, btw).

OHHH, it has its own acronym now, TC :) I was looking at adding something more explicit to teach alongside WR anyway so this fits the bill beautifully. My ds thrives with instruction in a multitude of ways so I think this will suite him well. Without seeing the whole thing I think we will do it after or alongside Narrative2 before Chreia. 

Fwiw the grammar instruction reminds me of MCT. We have those conversations here using MCT but my grammar knowledge is not near as vast as 8's and the info irt analyzation not near as detailed, so I love that she has that info within the program. I think it will serve as a great teaching tool for us moms who don't have that background, especially as the levels increase in difficulty and depth.

I hope that the plan is one level a year as that would work splendidly for us. I don't see my dd ready for this until 4th but who knows at this point.

This actually is exactly what I needed to know. I'm just not sure that CAP will help prepare DD for where she needs to be, if in a couple of years she wants to try the rather rigorous Catholic high school (and that IS her plan right now).

At the moment, cohesive paragraphs are a huge struggle for her.

Just so that I know I'm reading correctly - did you say that you believe this program would prepare a child for WWS? If I used this with my 7th grader (probably ramped up, as the grammar looks light for her, and I think she's solid on sentences), she may be ready for WWS by the following year (or second semester)?

Honestly, this looks better than CAP, for our specific needs, which is why I'm full of questions, lol. I feel like, with CAP, I would have to juggle through several books, to hit the points that Autumn needs to work on, because it feels like each book only really focuses on one or two things.

Speaking of the grammar - what type of grammar does this get into? Does it go beyond basic nouns, verbs, and adverbs?

So, a caveat - this is just an early impression, based on having used WWS & Narrative 2 and having read through TC and Chreia.  I think Narrative 2 is a pre-WWS program that starts to teach basic outlining & narrative writing about history.  These skills are developed more thoroughly in WWS, so I think that a kid who has completed Narrative 2 is better prepared for WWS than a kid who goes straight from WWE to WWS.  If I were definitely planning to use WWS, I would probably complete Narrative 2 & Chreia with a "normal" writer in 4th or 5th grade before beginning WWS later, maybe in 6th.

TC explicitly teaches paragraphing skills, thoroughly.  WWS doesn't really teach these skills - it covers them in a brief early lesson.  This is the same way paragraphing is handled in Chreia - a brief explanation, but not much practice or explicit teaching.  This is one of the two huge gaps that I see TC filling - it teaches paragraphing explicitly, in a  guided, incremental, gradual manner with lots of practice.  As such, it too would better prepare a kid for WWS - meaning, it would provide them the skills that WWS assumes that a kid already has.  I didn't mean to say that a kid would go straight from TC to WWS, but I meant to say that TC provides skills that WWS assumes but WWE doesn't teach.  I hope that clarifies things.

The other gap that TC fills, which I mentioned before and that I think is relevant for people who are looking at WWS, is that it teaches note taking, outlining, and writing paragraphs about nonfiction.  Again, in an incremental and age-appropriate, guided way.  WWS provides notes and asks the student to create outlines and to write from the notes, TC teaches the thinking process involved in taking your own notes and organizing them into an outline that you write from.

So that's my general impression at this point.  In your specific case, looking at TC vs. W&R as prep for WWS, you might find that the 2nd and 3rd sections of TC (on outlining & paragraphing, and on notetaking and report writing) might be better, specific and targeted prep for WWS than would the W&R books.  I'm not saying TC is better than W&R for all kids, but for a kid in your dd's situation, the best I can understand it from your posts here and on other threads about W&R, that is my impression.

HTH.

• Like 4

Okay, so this sounds like a great bridge between CAP Narrative I and CAP Narrative II and Chreia to address the problems that Rose mentioned above. I LOVE the samples since I've been teaching writing very similarly to this already, but I wasn't sure how to teach note-taking and paragraph construction. 

Some questions for anyone who might know:

1) How many lessons are in the program?

2) Any idea on cost?

Chelli, that's exactly my plan with Morgan - we will complete Fable (we're more than halfway through) and probably Narrative 1 this year, but we will complete TC before we do Narrative 2 and Chreia. Narrative 2 will probably be in 4th grade, but Chrei most likely not until 5th  It's perfect, because I could see that W&R was going to move too fast for Morgan into multi-paragraph writing, but that it wasn't going to provide enough explicit instruction on paragraph writing.  

There are 32 weeks of lessons, the first section is focused on grammar, the second on outlining and paragraph writing using fictional stories, and the third on outlining and report-writing from nonfiction sources.

• Like 1

I'm swooning a bit, and glad now that DH asked me to wait until August for curriculum purchases. I had an expensive list of writing/grammar products for DD10, but maybe I can shorten that list a bit with this. Is there any explicit mechanics practice? Dd is weak in punctuation, so we need to work on that this year. Key for us will be whether or not DD will agree to a program with this much teacher-led "talking". She prefers independence as much as possible, even when it isn't the best thing for her unfortunately.

• Like 1

Seriously, this is exactly the type of explicit instruction the neuropsych has been recommending for my dysgraphic son who needs more work on building sentences. I'm very excited because I haven't seen anything else outside of some remedial school resources that come close to meeting this need.

• Like 6

Seriously, this is exactly the type of explicit instruction the neuropsych has been recommending for my dysgraphic son who needs more work on building sentences. I'm very excited because I haven't seen anything else outside of some remedial school resources that come close to meeting this need.

I know. I'm biting for my 12 year old dyslexic, as soon as order information is up.

• Like 3

It looks like you got the typos fixed already.

TBH I thought you had a professional do it because it looks so nice. Your dh did an excellent job and I'm very impressed. I know you were worried about being able to get it out there and looking good but I'm beyond thrilled so far. 

The web designer we met with had been very assuring about things on the phone and in email.  Then when we met in person, she said it would be 2 weeks longer than she had originally stated.  She also wanted to use a site that was not great for pdf downloads.   Unfortunately all that  occurred with not enough time to find someone else b/c our other communications had taken place over multiple weeks.   Dh spent the weekend trying to figure out how to set up a website (something he knew nothing about) while I was finishing everything else.

FWIW, it is not going to be perfect.  I am sure there are typos.   I know there are double spaces after the periods. ;)  There may even be worse mistakes than that!  But it was either publish it now or wait until next school yr. 

One thing I learned during this process is that putting together a business while simultaneously  writing and editing is just plain nuts! (I really regret never having taken a business course.)

• Like 17

I can't wait!! This is exactly what I have been dreaming about especially after reading Good's grammar book.

I will be using this with both my fourth and third graders along with CAP and MCT.

If you were going to write other levels, what would the progression look like? Would the next level be for grade 4 or 5?

Honestly, after years of reading your posts and trying to figure out how to do it independently, this is a dream come true! Please, please keep writing!!!

• Like 2

One thing I learned during this process is that putting together a business simultaneously while writing and editing is just plain nuts! (I really regret never having taken a business course.)

Maybe off topic, but we regretted this as well while starting our business. We are going to very strongly encourage each of our children to take a business course whether or not they pursue it as a major. Neither of us ever dreamed we would need to know this info as we assumed we would be working for the state or other entities, but you never know where life will take you and it is great info to have.

• Like 2

Maybe off topic, but we regretted this as well while starting our business. We are going to very strongly encourage each of our children to take a business course whether or not they pursue it as a major. Neither of us ever dreamed we would need to know this info as we assumed we would be working for the state or other entities, but you never know where life will take you and it is great info to have.

Not off topic at all.  (I am rather uncomfortable discussing my book directly bc I don't want to violate board rules.  I will try and see if I can get my dh to figure out how to set up the blog portion of the site so people can ask me questions or if people want to pm me, I am happy to answer that way.)

I agree with you 100%.  Getting business licenses ( I had to get one for both the county and the city), understanding tax laws and tax IDs.....stressful stuff when you are clueless.  Throw in not having great computer skills.  Um, when I say my family is rejoicing I am done, I am not kidding. :p

I think it is a great idea.  Our oldest wants to use his chemical engineering degree to start his own microbrewery.   It is his dream.   He also wishes he had taken some business classes.   A STEM MBA program would have been perfect for him.

• Like 2

I'm being dense.

DS will be starting 5th grade next month. We've done WWE and started Narrative I over the summer. My plan had been to finish Narrative I and II and then move to WWS and proceed from there.

How does TC fit into that? And is 5th grade too old for TC in this context?

The rule is:

If you are the publisher or author of home schooling (or other) materials, or have a financial interest in a particular program, you may answer direct questions about those materials but don't use a general query ("What science/language arts/history materials should I use?") as a chance to promote your product. When these questions are posed, we hope that parents will hear from other parents not from those who may have a vested interest in the use of a particular program.
  • Like 6

Thanks for posting that idnib.  I really thought I shouldn't be answering questions.

The program is not geared toward a specific grade level.  (LOL...that is so not me!)  I view the skills covered as essential 3rd-5th grade skills.  The language is not simplified, so the older students will not feel like they are using something geared toward younger kids.   It starts off deceptively simple and cranks up quickly.  (I wrote the first couple of weeks on a much simpler level to allow both moms and students get used to the methodology.)

The program will be sold for $30 as a pdf download.   The student book is included with its own ToC as a separate section in the back of the book.  Simply printing out single pages over the course of the yr should work.   For those that want to print it, be aware that it is long.   It is around 340 pages between TM and student book.  (The student book does not include any instructional content.  It has to be taught.)

• Like 22

I'm going to see how it goes with dd#3 -- already added it to my sig even though I haven't bought it yet. ;-)

Heart - On your oldest & the microbrewery idea -- my Mechanical Engineering magazine had an article in the last edition about a group of electrical engineers starting their own brewery/bar. They still have day jobs, though.  :hat:   It can be done.

• Like 5

I'm going to see how it goes with dd#3 -- already added it to my sig even though I haven't bought it yet. ;-)

Heart - On your oldest & the microbrewery idea -- my Mechanical Engineering magazine had an article in the last edition about a group of electrical engineers starting their own brewery/bar. They still have day jobs, though.  :hat:   It can be done.

:lol: RootAnn, you get the prize for being the first one to add it to your siggy!!!  :smilielol5:

• Like 13

Dh is adding the ToC and a student page to the website.   The ToC is really not all that helpful.  I definitely had lost all creativity by that point!  He is definitely adding his own personality to the website, and he knows I can't change anything.  He is a funny guy.  At one point he had the cost listed as $1,000,000.   So, if you visit the website over the next couple of days, there is no telling what you will see! ;)

And klwalukas, you are so right. The women on this forum are absolutely the best.  You can't find a better support system anywhere!

• Like 10

Oh, and one more thought.  I have a question.   The template came with a newsletter option.   I didn't know that our site had that feature until today.   I was wondering if there might be interest in using it as a way for students to share their writing in a safe, private environment.  The kids have plenty of opportunities to write the endings to the stories in the book, so they might find it fun to see what other kids decided to have happen. 

• Like 5