Menu

Tablet Class Sale on now

Thanks for sharing. How does this program compare to AoPS for pre-alg?

DS13 did TC Pre-A prior to AoPS Intro to Algebra.  In terms of challenge and scope I think it prepared him well for AoPS.  We initially considered AoPS for Pre-A.  But after trying Alcumus and the samples we both agreed he wasn't ready for that yet.  In choosing TC I wanted to work on his ability to wrestle with difficult problems which it offered.  I also wanted to offer him excellent instruction which it provides.

The major difference between AoPS and most other programs including TC is that AoPS uses a Discovery Approach to learning.  In addition AoPS is intentionally designed to make students struggle and not figure out problems initially.  While there are other challenging programs AoPS just takes more time on each problem overall.  This is especially the case toward the end of each chapter.  

That said I wanted ds13 to do more Algebra 1 review after finishing AoPS Intro to Algerba (1-13).  So he has been doing TC Algebra this Summer prior to starting Geometry in the Fall.  While AoPS really dives deep into the concepts some students including ds13 find they need more practice.  TC Algebra has really thrown some hard problems at him which we weren't really expecting after AoPS.  Overall I am very happy with TC.

I'm confused. I thought the point was you could use a tablet, but the specs looked more like for a PC.

Can you use either or just one? If one, which one.

TC is primarily a video based instructional program.  It requires a web connection.  Beyond that you can view it from a PC or Tablet.  The student writes out the problems and all the steps to solve on normal paper, just like any other math class.  ds13 sometimes uses his Nexus 7 tablet and other times he uses a laptop to run the program.

You can see a free demo of the program running and test it on your own devices here:  http://www.tabletclass.com/demo/defaultdemo.aspx 

You may have to adjust the resolution depending on your device.

DS13 did TC Pre-A prior to AoPS Intro to Algebra.  In terms of challenge and scope I think it prepared him well for AoPS.  We initially considered AoPS for Pre-A.  But after trying Alcumus and the samples we both agreed he wasn't ready for that yet.  In choosing TC I wanted to work on his ability to wrestle with difficult problems which it offered.  I also wanted to offer him excellent instruction which it provides.

The major difference between AoPS and most other programs including TC is that AoPS uses a Discovery Approach to learning.  In addition AoPS is intentionally designed to make students struggle and not figure out problems initially.  While there are other challenging programs AoPS just takes more time on each problem overall.  This is especially the case toward the end of each chapter.  

That said I wanted ds13 to do more Algebra 1 review after finishing AoPS Intro to Algerba (1-13).  So he has been doing TC Algebra this Summer prior to starting Geometry in the Fall.  While AoPS really dives deep into the concepts some students including ds13 find they need more practice.  TC Algebra has really thrown some hard problems at him which we weren't really expecting after AoPS.  Overall I am very happy with TC.

We are switching from AoPS Pre-A. It has been too much of a struggle for dd13, and I think AoPS over-complicates things with their rigorous proofs. Just from my brief look at TC PreA, I can tell this will still challenge her, but I hope the direct instruction and video instructor (who's not me ;)) will make it more enjoyable.

I started with the ch 1 test, thinking she'd breeze through it, after several chapters of AoPS, but she didn't! Most of what she missed was just a matter of defining terms, so I'm not planning to take her through the chapter, but I was impressed with how thorough it seemed to be.

We are switching from AoPS Pre-A. It has been too much of a struggle for dd13, and I think AoPS over-complicates things with their rigorous proofs. Just from my brief look at TC PreA, I can tell this will still challenge her, but I hope the direct instruction and video instructor (who's not me ;)) will make it more enjoyable.

I started with the ch 1 test, thinking she'd breeze through it, after several chapters of AoPS, but she didn't! Most of what she missed was just a matter of defining terms, so I'm not planning to take her through the chapter, but I was impressed with how thorough it seemed to be.

Yes, trust me when I say TC Pre-A will challenge.  Part of the beauty with the challenge is the thorough explanations provided with commentary in working out those problems.  But there will be some tough ones for sure.  She will be graphing linear equations among other things just like in AoPS Pre-A.

TC Pre-A like AoPS has a greater scope than most Pre-A programs.  So it gives the student more time overall with Algebra itself over a two year period (Pre-A + Algebra). 

Well now thanks to y'all our combined math program for next year will include Tablet, AoPS and MM6 + the outsourced homeschool math program. I can't decide on Tablet or AoPS. Ds is mathy, loves math, and enjoys ruminating on math problems so AoPS seems a perfect fit for him and yet I feel the video format of TC is more suited to his style. Since TC is being so heavily discounted right now--thank you, Derek!--it will allow us to use both. Not sure how that will actually look and perhaps one will eventually win out over the other but for the moment our options are open :D