Menu

sherlock holmes for 5th grader?

A quick google or Amazon search will have you all set up.

Start with A Study in Scarlet because that is the first, and covers the meeting of Holmes and Watson.

They are prob all at your local library.

I can't imagine anything in any of them not be appropriate for a 5th grader. I read them all myself when I was in 5th and 6th grade.

I believe all of them should be appropriate.  The Irene Adler story (Scandal in Bohemia) has some suggested indecency but it's so subtle it wasn't until I was in my 30's that I figured it out.  I recommend starting with A Study in Scarlet because that's where we are first introduced to Holmes and Watson.  

Oops.  Looks like RedSquirrel and I posted at the same time!

My hubby bought this book so my boys read it. Not sure if it is among the best though.

The Original Illustrated Sherlock Holmes

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0890090572

The same book for free at archive.org

https://archive.org/details/originalillustra00cast

ETA:

Kids knew about marijuana through the news on legalizing marijuana in California so they knew drugs exist.

My childhood neighborhood had gangs and drugs so drugs and SWAT was something everyone in the area knew about.

And Holmes' drug addiction. ;)

I think it was The Sign of Three that I read recently which has the whole first chapter about how cocaine is good for him and why he uses it to clarify his mind.

That's "The Sign of the Four." :-)

Holmes's use of cocaine would not deter me from allowing my children to read the books, though. He discusses it in that chapter, Watson expresses his disapproval, and they move on. Although it is mentioned a couple of other times, it is mostly a non-issue.

That's "The Sign of the Four." :-)

Holmes's use of cocaine would not deter me from allowing my children to read the books, though. He discusses it in that chapter, Watson expresses his disapproval, and they move on. Although it is mentioned a couple of other times, it is mostly a non-issue.

Yes, I missed a sign. :0

FWIW, I would let my kids read it too at some point, but I would enjoy the heads up to discuss the issue.  For me, I skipped it with my kids now - but they are quite little and they don't know anything about cocaine yet, and I am not interested in discussing it yet (and they utterly idolize Holmes and we already talk about the smoking and alcohol, I figure that is enough  for now). :)

I read some of them in 3rd grade after a big blow-up between my ultra conservative father and much more liberal mother.  I think the drug issues went totally over my head.  For an older child I (very liberal) would still discuss the issues prior to them reading any of the books.  I also agree with reading them in order, which I didn't get to do:( 

I think it's depressing that Watson just came back from Afghanistan when he first meets Holmes.  I think this would have a closer connection to a child nowadays than when I was a child.

In the tv show Murdoch Mysteries, set at the turn of the 20th C., there is occasional cocaine usage and it's just sort of hilarious to me. In fact, most of their medical treatment is alarming!

There are some great kid friendly spin offs - we enjoyed the Enola Holmes books  - a younger sister to Sherlock.  Lots of fun!

DD loves these books.  I highly recommend them also.