Menu

Anyone take Nasonex for allergies?

1GirlTwinBoys

I have been prescribed it several times and before I met DH I dated a pharmaceutical sales manager and one of the products he managed was Nasonex.   It doesn't help immediately. You have to take it once a day for 2 weeks for most people to see any benefit, and up to 6 weeks for maximum benefit.

I couldn't see any difference and I hated the scent.  It reminded me of white clover blossoms, though I was told it was developed to try and emulate the scent of roses.

Nasonex didn't smell like flowers to me, it doesn't have a scent. Flonase smells like flowers, are you sure it wasn't Flonase? Flonase works better for me. But, either works better than any other daily allergy med. I have used them off and on for years.

You're right, I mixed them up.  Either way, neither one of them worked for me.

I haven't, but one of my sons uses Flonase. It seems to help more than any other allergy med for him.

I am probably going to start with his twin, who is really struggling lately with his allergies despite zyrtec, singulair, and a nasal antihistamine spray.

They are supposed to be quite safe as far as meds go. Our allergist/pulmonologist takes a minimum amount of least concern meds approach, and she seems to favor (in this order, from first to least wanted): nasal antihistamine, nasal steroid, oral antihistamine, inhaled steroids.

I think it's worth a try. As an adult, I don't think I would even hesitate.

I used Flonase for several years. Once Nasacort went OTC, my insurance required me to use it instead. I've never tried Nasonex, but found Flonase and Nasacort to work equally well.

Dh does. It's the only medicine that controls the itching he gets in his ears---bizarre allergy symptom, huh?

I get itchy ears from my allergies and have never known anyone else who does. I also get itchy eyes. Nasal spray unfortunately doesn't help. The only thing that helps is benadryl, which I can only take at night unless I want to take a nap. 

My daughter found that Nasonex worked, but the insurance company didn't want to pay for it.  They claimed Flonase was the exact same thing and they would only pay for that. 

But Flonase didn't work for her.

Maybe the perfume they put into the Flonase cancels out its effect?  (I find that when other people use it in my presence it makes MY nose run)

Since the insurance won't pay for Nasonex, she's back to Sudafed.

BTW -- zyrtec does nothing for her.  Singulair works wonders but she HATES it.  And we hate when she's on it.  It makes her super irritable.  Sometimes if things are really bad, she'll take it for a couple days and then get off it.  That sort of tamps the allergies down a bit, but she only gets to the "I hate everyone" stage, not the "I want to kill everyone" stage.  (I do kind of wonder if Singulair results in violent episodes in some people)

I used Flonase for several years. Once Nasacort went OTC, my insurance required me to use it instead. I've never tried Nasonex, but found Flonase and Nasacort to work equally well.

I get itchy ears from my allergies and have never known anyone else who does. I also get itchy eyes. Nasal spray unfortunately doesn't help. The only thing that helps is benadryl, which I can only take at night unless I want to take a nap. 

Oh, no! I want it to help! 

Do you do benadryl on top of other allergy meds?

I pretty much only use the nasal spray now, and it helps with my biggest problem - stuffed up sinuses. I hardly ever take benadryl anymore.

I'm a med wimp and have been hesitant to try my nasal spray. My biggest problem is post nasal drip that can choke me at certain limited times. Usually it just causes a sore throat and cough. Will it help with that?

I'm a med wimp and have been hesitant to try my nasal spray. My biggest problem is post nasal drip that can choke me at certain limited times. Usually it just causes a sore throat and cough. Will it help with that?

I don't know. The spray actually drips for a bit after using it and tastes pretty bad - I usually keep something to drink nearby to wash away the taste. When I use it regularly (key word: regularly) it helps keep my sinuses clear. I don't normally have a problem with drip, so I can't say. Maybe someone else will chime in.

My daughter found that Nasonex worked, but the insurance company didn't want to pay for it. They claimed Flonase was the exact same thing and they would only pay for that.

But Flonase didn't work for her.

My understanding is that Flonase mostly by changing the texture of your mucus so that allergens can't stick, and that Nasonex (and Nasacort) are anti-inflammatories that work better for people with sinus issues instead of allergies (some people have something that is like having asthma in your sinuses, it sort of reacts like you have allergies, but you don't).

My son started having terrible mood issues after being on Singulair for a couple of years. It builds up in your system over time. It is a known side effect in kids.

My biggest success lately with post nasal drip was making sure the cats never went in my bedroom - so simply removing the cause from my sleeping area. Perhaps you've several allergy triggers working together and weakening your system? See if you can greatly reduce any of the sources.

Until I had those allergy testing pricks, I didn't even know I had an allergy to cats. I didn't have any symptoms other than the post nasal drip. I've got other allergies to tree pollens and related food allergies. Some are easy to avoid, others are trickier. I find things go downhill when a few things work together, such as lots of tree pollen and other environmental allergies causing me to suddenly react to food I've never had symptoms with.

My biggest success lately with post nasal drip was making sure the cats never went in my bedroom - so simply removing the cause from my sleeping area. Perhaps you've several allergy triggers working together and weakening your system? See if you can greatly reduce any of the sources.

Until I had those allergy testing pricks, I didn't even know I had an allergy to cats. I didn't have any symptoms other than the post nasal drip. I've got other allergies to tree pollens and related food allergies. Some are easy to avoid, others are trickier. I find things go downhill when a few things work together, such as lots of tree pollen and other environmental allergies causing me to suddenly react to food I've never had symptoms with.

That's exactly what happened to my kids! We had a dog allergy as well as allergies to common foods. All unknown allergies. I'm next in line. I tested positive to dust mites years ago, but I know I'm reacting to a lot more than that these days.