Menu

How much does a pair of scrubs cost?

BlueTaelon

The company I work for has been brought in to help pick up the slack for companionship care duties in an assisted living place. I could really use the hours but I need to buy scrubs. How much do they usually cost? How do they fit? Normally its slacks and blouse and working in private homes. I will check the thrift stores too since im pretty sure Good will should have them but i've got short legs so I may need to buy new, do they even come in petite? I dont have access to any sewing anything right now.

It really varies. 

Walmart tends to range from about $9-$16 each for tops and bottoms, depending on the line. I don't like the cheaper ones (very thin fabric, lack of pockets, unflattering cut on the pants), but I feel like the more expensive ones are very well-designed and functional, and I prefer them over pretty much everything else I've tried. I just wish they were more professionally patterned! Definitely check the clearance section first - they tend to have good deals.

There are places online where you can buy scrubs for $5 or less, but the cheaper ones tend to be yucky fabric or lacking in pockets, though that may not be as big a deal in your context.

I find I'm happiest with waists that have both elastic and a tie. Just elastic falls down; just drawstring is irritating if you need to use the bathroom, and falls down if the drawstring comes untied. I also think the elastic/tie waistline tends to be most flattering. Flare-leg pants tend to be more flattering than the unisex pants (or worst, the ones with elastic at the ankles).

I've always had pretty good luck at thrift stores. Once I was really lucky and got about 6 pairs of pants for $0.25 each.

Definitely search out petite pants or hem them - I see the short people at work walking all over the hems and tearing them up, and it doesn't look good.

DH is a physician, and has worn lots of scrubs in his career.  He usually buys from Scrubs123.com

He likes the Medline kind…Angel something.    They're about $10 for the top and $10 for the bottom.  He always puts in elastic into the bottoms when he gets them.

He's had pairs for 10+ years that have survived numerous washings.

You too can look like this if you buy scrubs from this site:

http://www.blueskyscrubs.com/scrubs/womens-medical-scrub-tops/

Push-up scrubs!

Do the headless models look like men, or is it just me?

Also, breast pocket as the only pocket is horrible design. Especially on a women's scrub top. At least for bedside nursing, scrub pockets end up jammed full of everything on the planet. I have a hard time functioning with less than three of them (top + cargo pants).

I just started a new job and I had to order from Medelita.com. For a set from the clearance section it was $58 and $10 for shipping. A WHOLE lot more than I usually spend but I didn't have a choice. :(

The fit is really nice with a higher neckline than unisex scrubs. They don't shrink and the fabric is very, very soft! I think they will wear very well but I didn't really want to spend that much.