Menu

My problems with DD's ps schedule. (K)

I may be posting this in the wrong area.

I wanted desperately to homeschool, and I did through pre k and especially this summer.

Unfortunately right now with my husband finishing up his degree, I am working so homeschooling is not an option financially. ( my family isn't on board with homeschooling in general due to "your children will become social outcasts" however a mutual decision was met that if dd (5) faces the problems I am worried about (a not so nice kindergarten teacher) she will be homeschooled.

My problem is, I have about 6 different schedules written out, after school, before school, and homeschooling on days where she doesn't have school, I decided to use her soon to be kindergarten schedule as a template for my schedules, and I was honestly in horrific shock when I saw her schedule, time for art is 20 twice a week, and music the same, minimal hours in actually class, the rest is filled with recess, lunch, and mass. ( they are expecting kindergarteners to go to one hour long services 4 days a week).

She has over 2.5 hours of recess a day.

I feel like I am sending my child to a daycare and not school. This just seems insane to me, I can't finish a whole days worth in 3 hours with Dd.

I know she will be horrifically bored in K, but don't feel socially she would work in 1st grade.

She is social, but with adults, she is reading at a 1st grade level and math at 1st grade.

And the public schools in our area are entirely out of the question.

I am not sure I am understanding your concern.  I do think the 1 hour per day mass sounds like a lot for KG, but the recess, art, and music are wonderful.  Especially if she is advanced, the lower amount of structure will enable her to operate on her own level socially, creatively, verbally, etc., rather than having to sit through hours of droning about academics she has already mastered.

What is it you want to achieve at home with your daughter if she is already advanced?  How much time will you have to work with her daily, and why is this not enough?

Out of curiosity, what is her age and birth date?  You mention 1st grade being a possible option, so it made me wonder - is she going to be old or young for her KG class?

Has your daughter had any group class experience?

It can be frustrating to think about how much time in school is "wasted" on nonacademic areas, but I agree with the posters above regarding the value of those activities. She may relate better to adults, but for her future happiness, she will benefit greatly from learning how to be friends with her peers. Free play with loads of other children, music, art, even sitting quietly in mass, are all skills that are hard to replicate at home and will help her grow and stretch. The name of the game in kindergarten, as far as I'm concerned, is not to accelerate them to their limit, but to show them how much fun learning can be, and to teach them that making an effort, whether it is in developing friendships or learning their numbers, pays off.

The hour of Mass four times a week seems somewhat questionable for kindergarteners, but I suppose at least some of them sit through Mass with their families once a week, so perhaps it's doable.

Other than that, I really don't see what the problem is. If my child's kindergarten schedule had been like that I would have jumped up and down for joy. It's all completely developmentally appropriate. If you can't get through a homeschool day in 3 hours with a five year old, you're probably doing too much. Try posting your schedule on the pre-k and K board and see what people think.

No I was not bashing the art or music. But I think only 40 minutes a week is not enough.

I will be paying a pretty penny to send my child to a glorified babysitter. She is very artsy, and I know only 20 minutes , realistically 10 hands on will not be enough to satisfy her.

And recess seems excessive, when it could be used for pe, art, music.

The amount of in class learning is less than an hour.... All day!

Taking into consideration the class interruptions.

Sippingtea, it sounds as though it will be very frustrating for you to have your child at this school. Is it possible to send her elsewhere? Regardless of anybody else's opinion of the schedule there, if you are unhappy and irritated by the amount of time spent doing academic work, your attitude may even affect how your daughter views school. How do you feel about giving the school a chance and seeing how your DD does? Since she is ahead of her peer group, it probably won't take much time at home to keep up with math and language arts. You may be pleasantly surprised at how she thrives in a school setting. If not, at least you gave it a chance.

I also wonder if some of the "recess" time on the schedule is actually self-directed learning time. I think maybe you should ask the teacher what a typical day looks like and what the kids are usually doing during each questionable time slot.

I also suspect that art-like activities are worked into other times of the day as in most Kindergartens.  For example, a writing assignment might be "draw a picture of your favorite animal and tell / write about your picture."

If she is ahead and you aren't sure about the teacher it seems like the more recess the better. It will also mean you won't overload her if you after school. For an advanced child of a working parent school is day care. There may, however be cheaper options where more art and music could be arranged.

Sippingtea, it sounds as though it will be very frustrating for you to have your child at this school. Is it possible to send her elsewhere? Regardless of anybody else's opinion of the schedule there, if you are unhappy and irritated by the amount of time spent doing academic work, your attitude may even affect how your daughter views school. How do you feel about giving the school a chance and seeing how your DD does? Since she is ahead of her peer group, it probably won't take much time at home to keep up with math and language arts. You may be pleasantly surprised at how she thrives in a school setting. If not, at least you gave it a chance.

We are having an abundance of issues.

From my post in k-8 I really like the advice I was given, not being truly comfortable with the teacher, and DD's schedule having very minimal learning time, I would rather attempt homeschooling around my work, ironically, I am a substitute for the public schools in town.

Wow she is really young. I think you need to change your perspective here. Glorifies babysitter? How insulting.

I was not meaning to be insulting at all, I did not specify that the kindergarten teacher does not have the nicest reputation, and dd is advanced, she does many things at 1st grade levels.

The reason I feel like it is more babysitting- day care is it is costing an arm and a leg. I don't know how else to word my opinion on it.

I also wonder if some of the "recess" time on the schedule is actually self-directed learning time. I think maybe you should ask the teacher what a typical day looks like and what the kids are usually doing during each questionable time slot.

I also suspect that art-like activities are worked into other times of the day as in most Kindergartens. For example, a writing assignment might be "draw a picture of your favorite animal and tell / write about your picture."

I will be hopefully spending some time observing in class (which is allowed) and I am hoping your idea is right!

If she is ahead and you aren't sure about the teacher it seems like the more recess the better. It will also mean you won't overload her if you after school. For an advanced child of a working parent school is day care. There may, however be cheaper options where more art and music could be arranged.

It would cost the same for any babysitter in town, so I am thinking of just providing a more challenging afterschool program, to make sure she is learning, and not falling behind what I know she is capable of.

I could easily see her flying through assignments and being a class clown due to free time.

As a former kindergarten and first grade teacher, I'd caution you to not stress too much about her "schedule." Art and music are woven into almost everything we do. An outside class is a luxury and a nice break for the classroom teacher. IMO, a five year old should be spending the day playing and singing and having as much outdoor time as possible. Her enjoyment of learning and her enjoyment of school are paramount- a negative teacher could ruin that.

It sounds like a wonderful kindergarten program. Read a lot with her at home and learn together. Formal academics will come soon enough.

For some perspective, you might want to read "Einstein Never Used Flashcards," and reflect on "advanced" young children.

Good luck!

I totally agree with kiwik.  If you go with this school, you wouldn't have to worry as much about religious education, exercise, outdoor time, socialization with peers during the time you are not working.   This frees you up to do the academic work you would like.

I would be more concerned about the mean teacher issue mentioned in your other thread.  Having a warm, stable adult in the room is more important than anything academically for kindergarten.  Is kindergarten mandatory where you live?  If not, are there some out of the box options that might work like paying a relative for childcare or sharing a nanny with someone?

My DD went to Catholic school kinder, and I think that schedule actually sounds kind of nice. The only part I think is excessive is the every day mass. At my DDs the kinders only went to mass 1 time every two weeks. The other kids had mass only 1 time a week. It was actually kind of nice for the little kids. The school paired an 7th or 8th grader with every kinder. The would sit together at each mass. The orders were expected to help the kids sit quietly (relatively) for mass.

I also suspect that art-like activities are worked into other times of the day as in most Kindergartens.  For example, a writing assignment might be "draw a picture of your favorite animal and tell / write about your picture."

Agreed. Even in first grade a frustratingly lot of my son's assignments involve drawing (He is NOT that interested in art. Thus the frustrating)

• 2 weeks later...

It's possible that you might actually be able to homeschool, depending on your schedule.  Since you sub, I am assuming you arrive home earlier than a standard 9-5 office job?  Why not pay a babysitter while you work, then teach her when you get home?  I only suggest this because I get the impression that it's more in line with your heart's desire. :)  It would be harder to do this with higher grades, but kindy is so much more relaxed.  Perhaps her babysitter could do read alouds and other simple things, too.  Just a thought!

I haven't juggled all-day work with homeschooling, but I HAVE juggled two part time jobs (one of which is at home) with homeschooling.  Where there's a will, there's a way!  (My kids have just started public schooling this year, cause the "will" has disappeared!  lol!)

I know she will be horrifically bored in K, but don't feel socially she would work in 1st grade.

She is social, but with adults, she is reading at a 1st grade level and math at 1st grade.

I truly doubt this. I don't think I've ever met a kid who was "horrifically bored" in kindergarten, even if they were advanced and learn concepts easily.