Menu

What is your choice for back to college? Messenger Bag vs. Backpack?

Michelle My Bell

Back to College - Messenger Bag vs. Backpack?  

45 members have voted

1. 1. What is your choice for style, functionality, comfort, cargo room?

• Messenger Bag
    • Backpack
    • Other

Both my daughter and I will be going back to college this fall and I am trying to decide between a backpack or messenger bag. I will be carrying my Mac-Book Air in addition to a book or two, and she will have her iPad in addition to a book or two. I will be riding my bike 2 days a week 3 miles each way so that should come into play. Please link to favorite brands or recommendations. Thanks!

If you're riding your bike, I'd say definitely a backpack.

I used a backpack in college and grad school…but it was before the time when taking a laptop or tablet to class was the norm.    

I think for your DD, it would depend on her class schedule and how far the dorm is.

I don't think you can go wrong with a backpack, though.

There was a big thread raving about LL Bean backpacks a day or two ago.  We've had three, and two have lasted three years now.  One had strap issues after one year.  They do say they'll replace them, though.   Wait for coupons, though…or look for back-to-school sales.

I did a messenger bag with a 9 mile each way bike commute to college. It worked great. Except for one time when my arm went numb as I was approaching an intersection. Luckily, the light was in my favor, but it could have been really bad.

So, my answer would be a backpack to evenly distribute the weight, especially if you anticipate carrying textbooks or other weighty things.

That's a tough one.  I preferred a messenger bag, because they were smaller and easier to stuff under a tiny desk during class.  Backpacks are nice in that they hold more, but if you don't have a locker or someplace to store them during classes they're kind of a pain.  I'd probably go with a messenger bag and get a rack to stick it on for the bike ride.

While I love messenger bags, I think they're better balanced for walking--not riding a bike. The weight is supposed to be on one shoulder and its opposite hip. Hard to do that on a bike. It won't lay the way its designed. 

I would go for the backpack. Plus you don't know how many items you'll need to carry in the future. You may the need a larger capacity. 

I do recommend some kind of padded sleeve for your laptop though. 

Backpack because of weight distribution. My boys have identical Targus laptop backpacks for German class. Lasted two years and still looks new, bought for under $20. I forgot the model number but it is almost identical to the Targus linked below (ebags link)

http://m.ebags.com/product/targus/brilliance-ii-laptop-backpack/219780

For German class, their backpack contains a binder, a letter size dictionary, textbook, workbook and a reader (storybook) as well as the usual stationary.

For our library trips, their backpack is loaded with an iPad, a kindle, a 1" binder with ruled paper, a math textbook and a language arts workbook.

My older would hang his backpack at the back of his classroom chair. My younger would put it on the floor leaning on the side of his classroom chair. Either way, they find it easy to access their books.

For biking to campus, my biker friends like the bicycle rack and bungee cords to secure, as well as a front wire basket for miscellaneous stuff.

I'd say backpack too.  And even though I agreed in the other thread that LL Bean backpacks are great, I haven't seen a lot that are made to hold a computer.  My dds got Dakine backpacks when they went to high school, and they have a computer sleeve, as well as a special pocket for (sun)glasses, and an insulated section for lunches.  They are also very cute and a bit more sophisticated looking than the LL Bean ones, and also very good quality. 

Whichever you choose, I recommended that you have a rack installed on your bike and use panniers. This takes the weight off of your back entirely for the duration of your ride. In lieu of panniers, you can use bungee cords to secure your bag to the rack for the ride. Or, you could get a box for your rack and put it in there. Lots of options for the commute!

I almost asked the same question the other day.  :lol: In my case I'll be walking from the parking lot to class and to a few buildings. I won't carry my laptop, but I'll have notebooks, 2-4 books, my planner, and other purse stuff. 

My university has lockers for non-traditional students. 

I bought a backpack (rucksack kind) and I'm hoping that will work.

Backpack. My Jansport with the leather bottom held up throughout college and well beyond, even though I was an English major and had semesters during which my bag weighed more than I did. I bought dd a Jansport because she is starting college in the fall. The one I purchased has a pocket in the back that fits a laptop with sleeve. They come with a lifetime guarantee.

http://www.jansport.com/shop/en/jansport-us/backpacks/right-pack-world-T49Z

Whichever you choose, I recommended that you have a rack installed on your bike and use panniers. This takes the weight off of your back entirely for the duration of your ride. In lieu of panniers, you can use bungee cords to secure your bag to the rack for the ride. Or, you could get a box for your rack and put it in there. Lots of options for the commute!

Panniers are nice if they're big enough to carry your books, etc. Backpacks are great, but you may get sweaty underneath, and need to bring a change of clothes (I did through college, and it was COLD in the fall in Edmonton, Alberta - I still sweated).

I tried wearing a messenger bag while riding my bike to work and I was miserable.  I ended up strapping it to the book rack or sticking it in the front basket, neither situation was ideal.

When I ride now, I use a backpack.  It's makes riding much easier.  My back is sweaty when I get to school so I give myself some extra time to change shirts and freshen up before going into class.

I almost asked the same question the other day.  :lol: In my case I'll be walking from the parking lot to class and to a few buildings. I won't carry my laptop, but I'll have notebooks, 2-4 books, my planner, and other purse stuff. 

My university has lockers for non-traditional students. 

I bought a backpack (rucksack kind) and I'm hoping that will work.

This sounds like my daughter's situation.  She lives off campus and commutes to school.  She wanted a messenger bag and used it a week before switching to a backpack.