Menu

Today we bought

Miss Peregrine

Yikes. Sorry about your dh's car!

I've owned three cars: The one my dad bought me when I was in college (a CLUNKER!), a Honda Civic that I bought all on my own, and the Odyssey that we drive now. At nearly 14 years old, it's the newer of our cars. It has a nearly brand-new transmission, though, as that went out completely while in vacation two years ago. 

Dh has been driving the same vehicle the entire time I've known him. He used to trade in his car every two years before we met.

Cat

When we live in Oregon (no sales tax) we bought and sold cars all the time.  We had 15 in 15 years at one point.  Since moving to Washington 13 years ago (sales tax) we have had 5 (plus one work car).   

We used to buy a car for a good price, drive it for a year, and resell it for pretty much what we paid for it.  Once you had to factor in about 9% in sales tax, that stopped the buying/selling for. 

I hope your dh is okay!

Combined and counting off the top of my head, dh and I have had at least 13 running cars in 13 years of marriage. (That does not count the multiple cars we owned in high school.) As I was thinking about them, I realized we have owned at least 1 car from each decade since the 30's, except for the current decade, lol. I bought a brand new car when I was in high school, but after I met dh, no more new cars. :(

I hope your dh is okay!

Combined and counting off the top of my head, dh and I have had at least 13 running cars in 13 years of marriage. (That does not count the multiple cars we owned in high school.) As I was thinking about them, I realized we have owned at least 1 car from each decade since the 30's, except for the current decade, lol. I bought a brand new car when I was in high school, but after I met dh, no more new cars. :(

Hmm, interesting thought.  We have owned one from the 50's decade up to current.  :0)

3 in 14 years, one was inherited though and we sold it within 6 months (no need for an old, huge, manual transmission SUV). We bought a gently used Corolla and kept it for 7 years. 7 years ago we bought a gently used Camry and it's still going strong. It's now well used and pushing past 150k. We plan to replace it when it gets to about 200k. We've generally just had one car between the two of us, of course for the first 1/3 of that time, I didn't even know how to drive and my husband is a bike commuter.

We are shopping for a used minivan off and on. We may bite the bullet for that sometime in the next couple of weeks.

:grouphug:  Hope your dh is feeling better soon!

As to cars, we've owned 9 cars in 27 years. The longest-owned vehicle was dh's F-150 which we had for over 20 years. Several things stopped working on it--windshield wipers, fuel gauge, a/c--but the engine was still going strong! Only one was lost to an accident. We pretty much drive them until they die (only one *actually* died and it wasn't the one in the accident) or become unreliable enough to make us nervous. Oh, except for the one we sold because we found ourselves with 3 vehicles (we got FIL's truck when he died)--and only 2 drivers!

We seriously have the worst luck with cars.

You need a bus pass!!!!  The universe is trying to tell you something!  :laugh:

-------------------------------------------------

Seriously though, I am sorry for your experience.   :grouphug:  Changing cars is expensive; and accidents ALWAYS cost money, even if you are not at fault. 

And most of all, I hope that you family heals well medically/physically, and this string of bad luck turns around.  Be well.

--------------------------------------------------

Loverboy and I have been together for ~9 years.  In that time, we've only discarded my old truck (it was on life support for more than a year before doing so).  We've been lucky that our current cars we bought new, and they have mostly lived in a garage.  We are so boring that we don't drive many miles, and we drive the speed limit.  We expect to drive both of these cars until the wheels go square.

In nearly 29yrs of marriage we've owned 16 cars.  Probably 4-5 of those went because of accidents (not mine)..but we also buy used clunkers and drive them until they're dead or won't pass emissions.   We just got rid of our big family van  :sad: That won't be replaced as our days of needing a big 12passenger van is over. :sad: :sad:

8 cars in 20 years.  Those are the ones we have owned since we were married.  Dh had a least a couple before I knew him.  Our first one was one my mom gave me when I started college and we kept it until we moved for work after graduating.  It had lots of miles on it before we got it.  Dh wrecked one and I wrecked one.  We sold one to FIL when moving cross country and we sold another one because of a move.

We've been married 10 years.  We still have the Suburban dh had before we were married.  The Honda Civic I had when we got married was traded in two years ago for a Honda Accord lease that's up early next year.  We bought oldest dd a used Jeep Liberty three years ago. 

Right now all the cars we have are holding up well.  Hopefully they will continue to do so for a while longer because we are not in a position to replace any of them.

We've been married 18 years and are on our second car. We got our first one in 1998 and our current one in 2008.

I can't believe how many cars some of you have had. We'll probably be needing to replace ours in a few more years, and I'm already worrying about how much it will cost. I can't imagine if we had needed to buy 10 or 12 cars instead of just 2!

Okay, we won't count the vehicle that got totaled in a major not-at-all-our-fault accident, fifteen minutes after I said yes to DH's proposal.  So, since then, we have owned (in sixteen years): ten vehicles. 

I am so sorry about your vehicle!  We have terrible luck with them as well.  If I listed it all, you wouldn't believe it; it's so ridiculous.  If I had DH's comedic wit, I could pay for my children's college educations by listing it all on a blog, because it would be that hilarious to read.  I'm currently driving the only one of those ten vehicles that has never needed a serious repair or tow, and only because I've only had it three weeks.  (We sprang for the extended warranty this time, just in case, and I intend to drive it for the next decade.)

I've owned 6 cars in 22 or so years.  

The first was a piece of crap that sort of got me through college.  I bought it for $700 at an auction and my BIL was always working on it.  Hated that thing.

The 2nd was one I bought the second I graduated from college and got my first "real" job.  I really wanted to drive #1 off a pier in celebration, but I didn't want to harm the environment, so I refrained.

The 3rd I bought when I had DD#1, because car #2 was a tiny little 2-door, low-to-the-ground sports car.  Doesn't bode well for a car seat.  I hated that car, though, from the moment I bought it.  I traded it in when I couldn't stand it for one more second for a car I liked enough, which was #4.

#5 came along when the lease for #4 was up.

#6, my current car, was a total whim, 3 years ago.  We'd had a gross winter, I was cranky for months, and then we had a glorious, beautiful perfect day.  I happened to drive past the car lot and there was a perfect little convertible there, calling my name.  It would have been tragedy to ignore it.  So, I didn't.    :D

DH is on his 3rd car in 3 years.  He gets tired of them.   :glare:

29 years, just bought a new car yesterday.  We have had a total of 15 cars.  We ran 3 'into the ground' and 1 was totaled in an accident.

Of the 15 only 3 have been brand new.

DH commutes 45 miles each way to work... he puts TONS of miles on his car each year.

His last car was a 2007 Honda Civic--red (over 200,000 miles).  I loved that car.  We gave it to oldest dd for her birthday and then traded in her very old very tired 1998 CRV when we bought DH's 2014 Mazda 3 last night.  Hopefully DD will have it for a few good years.  She was bummed that her birthday present will cost her an extra $25 per month in insurance--but hey, that is a LOT less than a car payment!

I'm currently driving our 'hay mobile'-- a 2003 Suburban.  As soon as we pay off Dh's car I get a new (and much smaller) one (probaby a 'new to me' ).

We started out our marriage with a two door that my husband bought when he was 17.  We bought a small used minivan in our first year of marriage because we worked overlapping shifts in different parts of town.  We sold the two door after having it for 7 years.  The minivan was traded for a full sized van when we were pregnant with our third son.  The minivan was purchased at such a great price that, 5 years later with many more miles, we actually got the same value in trade in as we had purchased it for.  We had our van for nine years but after many 3000 mile round trips to Montana it would only do short little drives so we bought a second van and had two vans for almost 4 years.  The first van was finally sold because it was in bad shape.  Our second van was a wonderful vehicle and we had it for 4.5 years and would probably still have it but I was in a head on accident with it 4.5 years ago.  It was totaled so we had to purchase another vehicle.  Our 2005 Honda Pilot was purchased in March 2010 and has been a great vehicle.  Our 17 year old has a 2005 Toyota Corolla that I am part owner of.  He inherited it when his uncle died last summer.  Our 16 year old son will probably buy a car next summer.  That means that in our almost 20 year marriage, we have had 5 vehicles plus our son's car.

We've driven 7 vehicles in our 12 year marriage.

We currently own four.

In the beginning: My Prelude + His Accord

We bought the CR-V to replace my Prelude.

We sold the Accord when we left Hawaii, so we shared the CR-V for two years until someone gave us a Saturn when they moved, which he drove a year before we gave it away before we left OK.

We shared the CR-V for two years and then bought an Odyssey for me.

We moved overseas and bought a Honda Mobilio for me and a Daihatsu Naked for him. The Odyssey is in storage and my mom is keeping the CR-V while we are stationed overseas.

The cars are all 10-15 years old and paid for. When DH retires from active duty I would like to give the CR-V to my oldest. I'm weirdly attached to that car and don't want it to leave the family.

DH had 4 cars before we got married.  I had 1.  Since married we have bought 11 cars for the two of us, and 3 more that were given to our kiddoes to drive. 

19 cars in 40 years of driving.  I was surprised at the number actually!

Only one car was replaced due to a car accident.  Many of these vehicles died a natural death.  One was stolen and wrecked. 

That was fun trip down memory lane!

We just bought our 7th in 25 years of marriage. All were at least 10 years old when we got rid of them. The Buick LeSabre was 18 years old and we still see it driving around town by the new owners.

My kids also have a 2004 Toyota Corolla inherited from my dad that is still going strong. If I needed to buy a car to go the distance I'd get one of these. My mom has a Corolla with 320,000 miles on it.

The 19th car of our 20 year marriage. :/ We seriously have the worst luck with cars. Dh's was totaled when he was hit last week. Hopefully this one will last!

How many cars have you owned?

3 in 17 years of marriage.  1 of those I owned when we got married.

I hate spending money on cars, so I tend to buy them and then run them until the wheels fall off.

Since dh and I have been together we have had 11 cars/trucks. We have been together 12 years. Most of them were his :D . We have had my car for 9 years (a record by far for dh). We still have 2, the above mentioned car (a 2002 ford Taurus that we got in April of 2005) and his newest truck (a 2000 Chevy Silverado z 71 that we bough in January 2013). Since we bought my car dh is on his 5th vehicle.

Wow.

We each started out as teens with a car that had been his parents'. (They gave him one when they upgraded, and sold me the other one.) We replaced each of them, so each still driving our second cars--lifetime total, 4. We've been married 14 years but were together several years before that.

His will probably need to be replaced in the next year or two, but we've been saying that for a few years now. :) I am intent on driving mine until it falls to pieces, which should be another 5 years or so. I don't drive much, but it's a POS.

My car was our newest vehicle. I plan on driving her into the dirt, dh says if won't be too long because my rear struts are broke and dh says he's not putting anymore money outside of basic maintenance (oil changes) into her. We will see how that goes (I might just take some tax refund money and get her fixed my self). My car may have some minor issues outside of that but after what we put that poor car through, no wonder she has issues. Dh fails to remember all that stuff. The car has 196,000 hard earned miles of which 150,000 I have put on

19 years of marriage.  

Between the 2 of us, we have had 7 cars in 19 years, but the first two shouldn't count as they were purchased before we were married and older when they came in to the marriage.  We have only purchased 5 since getting married.

Dawn