Menu

Possibly strange female question ...

Luanne

Where do you measure when trying to figure out bra size?  I'm wanting to buy some sleep bras online (can't find any affordable in the stores here) and don't know what size to order.  They say they fit B/C/D cups, but I don't know what measurement I need (meaning 38, 40, 42, or whatever).

Around your rib cage just under your breasts. You have a bit of wiggle room because of the three rows of hooks.

Yup. And pull the tape pretty tight. Ideally, you want to start by using the hooks nearest the end, then move to the tighter rows as the bra stretches with use. The band does most of the work (as opposed to the straps), so your shoulders shouldn't hurt.

You need two measurements to figure out your size.

1. Around your ribcage, where your bra band sits.  Pull it gently snug, so that you can still breathe.  This is your band size.

2. Around your nipple line, at the fullest part of your bust.  Subtract your band size from this number.  That gives you the difference in inches between your band size and your bust size.  For each 1 inch, you add a cup size.  1 = A, 2 = B, 3 = C, and so forth.

IME, most women wear a band size too big and a cup size too small.  Be prepared to be surprised at the size you get.