Menu

Pantry or sideboard?

Critterfixer

As I've whined about in the past, I am in the middle of a kitchen flooring job that is taking it's toll on my sanity. In a fit of madness last night, probably spurred by the inhalation of paint fumes, I ripped out my pantry cupboard. The thing had a busted shelf anyway, and hadn't been put in to my standards, which are admittedly high. Paint fumes, you know.

Anyhoo, I am LOVING how open my kitchen looks without the six foot monstrosity looming on that wall. I won't be putting it back until I fix it, but I'm seriously entertaining the idea of putting a sideboard where that thing used to be. That would give me space (all I stored in that thing was glassware and things I don't use often), which would be what one would put in a sideboard anyway. And I am always looking for a place to put baking racks when I make cookies, GF bread, etc. I also have some really nice walnut for the top, which would match another custom walnut top that is on a cabinet, so it would match nicely. 

So I wonder, how current are sideboards, and am I nuts? High on paint fumes? Or is this a reasonable idea?

Why not leave the space structurally open and get a furniture piece that suits your storage needs but could be moved/rearranged?

But do think about resale value. I had one house with no pantry and every potential buyer had something to say about it. ðŸ˜

I had to laugh at your post, because I often find myself reclaiming all kinds of areas in my home. (Most recently was a dry wall, and painting excursion) That said, it is your kitchen, and you should be comfortable within it. If that means revamping your kitchen to suit your needs, so be it. There are some things that work well for others, that wouldn't necessarily work for me, but their kitchen isn't mine, so it's beside the point.

I do have to think about resale. What the thing is is a basic bookcase, no back to it, and poorly constructed shelves. I can fix it. I just never like turning the door into the kitchen, and there is Ivor, the white pantry, ready to bite me. It's so gargantuan. Blocks all view of the dining room. 

Why not just try to live without it for a while.  I keep holiday serving dishes in my attic.  I only use them a couple times per year so I just let them live there in between times.  For my less used, but still want to keep in the kitchen items, I bought more shelves for my food pantry and made shelves the height of the baking dishes which is about 5" apart.  That way I can store a lot in a small space.  

I will be living without it for a while, for sure. I've got to purchase wood for the back, cut said wood, wrestle Ivor onto it, and then square him up. He got warped when the kitchen demo took him out. That was why the shelf broke, and he wasn't put back in place properly. 

I've mudded the wall where he was, and will paint it. So he won't be there for a while.

I just already like it with him gone, and there is a strong temptation on my side to leave him in the garage on a permanent basis. :D

What about open shelving? We have two Metro shelving units in our kitchen because we have *two* upper cabinets thanks to the genius update the previous owners did. The fridge is in the space that was the pantry... Eventually we will redo everything, but the shelves are useful in other places. You could do a sideboard with fixed open shelving on top, and put prettier things there.

As I've whined about in the past, I am in the middle of a kitchen flooring job that is taking it's toll on my sanity. In a fit of madness last night, probably spurred by the inhalation of paint fumes, I ripped out my pantry cupboard. The thing had a busted shelf anyway, and hadn't been put in to my standards, which are admittedly high. Paint fumes, you know.

Anyhoo, I am LOVING how open my kitchen looks without the six foot monstrosity looming on that wall. I won't be putting it back until I fix it, but I'm seriously entertaining the idea of putting a sideboard where that thing used to be. That would give me space (all I stored in that thing was glassware and things I don't use often), which would be what one would put in a sideboard anyway. And I am always looking for a place to put baking racks when I make cookies, GF bread, etc. I also have some really nice walnut for the top, which would match another custom walnut top that is on a cabinet, so it would match nicely. 

So I wonder, how current are sideboards, and am I nuts? High on paint fumes? Or is this a reasonable idea?

I guess I'm having a hard time visualizing what you're talking about. In my world, a "pantry" is like a closet, preferably something you can walk into but at least a closet, i.e., it's built in, with a door, not a six-foot, free-standing monstrosity. :huh:

I have only seen *sideboards* in dining rooms, so I guess I can't visualize your sideboard, either.

Pictures?

I guess I'm having a hard time visualizing what you're talking about. In my world, a "pantry" is like a closet, preferably something you can walk into but at least a closet, i.e., it's built in, with a door, not a six-foot, free-standing monstrosity. :huh:

I have only seen *sideboards* in dining rooms, so I guess I can't visualize your sideboard, either.

Pictures?

:iagree:  I generally think of a pantry as a closet.  A sideboard being a more dresser-like piece of furniture kept in the dining room, used for storing various pieces of table linens/serving pieces, etc., and used for holding food to the side of the table while serving a meal.

That said, I think if your kitchen feels more open without it, try to find alternative pantry space and keep it open.  People do like pantries, but they like open kitchens more.

I'd go without anything for a little while and decide what if anything to put in that place. Living without it will tell you if you need the storage to begin with.

I just want to say I think it's awesome that you can do the repairs and make things yourself!

Look around on pinterest. I think I would need some pics to weigh in...as it would matter as to the layout of the rest of your kitchen. I have a huge 6 foot pantry too....and plenty of cabinet space. I could transform it to open shelving, but a sideboard would be weird given where it is in relation to the hallway and fridge.  As it is, I prefer keeping mine behind closed doors....

So, more pics please!